Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1750352)   #26
ADAM1
Rookie

ADAM1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no i havnt i dont read it whats in it ??? any good pictures or information for me
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1750361)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Is that the car that was up for sale for ages years ago in MN and I think eventually ended up out with us in the ModProds briefly.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1750363)   #28
ADAM1
Rookie

i doubt it ive had the car for about 10 years but i might have been ??
does nobody have any photos of the original paint work ??? or now where there are any ??
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1750372)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It would have been at least ten years ago, I retired from racing 9 years ago and it was out a couple of year before that (oh I am back now!) To be honest it was not that quick but a beautifully prepared car as I recollect. Someing yells at me aluminuim cage but I cannot be sure.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1750375)   #30
ADAM1
Rookie

it cant be the same car then 2.8ltr rwd its a mean machine from the people i have talked to nobody has yet been able to tame it should be fun trying tho
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1750381)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It was a very heavy car and not trying to knock it but it did not impress too much as it had to race in Class A an we had some hot stuff out there then including an ex Brock Commodore. The guy gave it a miss in the end as I don't think he wanted to lighten it more because of its history, I wish I could remember who entered it, was it a scottish guy who went on to do BTCC?, may be a good car for the CTCRC Pre 93 series though as they have weight restrictions, regs to be posted soon. I will see if I can dig out some old programs.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 26 Oct 2006 at 19:48.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1750385)   #32
ADAM1
Rookie

was it still a touring car when you knew it because it has now been made into a rally car but it still has all the original parts the fules lines on the car are a marvel in them selfs sounds.......sad but they are i really need some good pictures tho of when barry sheene raced it to get the original paint scheme all round
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1750387)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No it was a circuit racer either red or white cannot remember as I say it may well not even be the same car. Is it the twin turbo charged model?
Old 26 Oct 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1750403)   #34
ADAM1
Rookie

no its the 1985 touring car championship car it hasnt got any turbo or anything althought tho the engine is by no means standard there is a sister car to the one i have though ??? but thats ment to have ended up in south africa or something ??????
Old 26 Oct 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1750447)   #35
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a picture of it here at Spa in 85

http://retrojloracing.skynetblogs.be/

Although I remember it more as in the BTCC colour scheme of red strips front and back (a little like my formula ford!). Like the rally version Here

http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climen...ls_well_02.jpg
Old 26 Oct 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1750448)   #36
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM1
no i havnt i dont read it whats in it ??? any good pictures or information for me
Just a small (about five by six centimetres) picture of it from the '85 BTCC. Along with some mildly disparaging comments about its pace, I'm afraid... Nice looking car, though.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1750453)   #37
ADAM1
Rookie

Although I remember it more as in the BTCC colour scheme of red strips front and back (a little like my formula ford!). Like the rally version Here

http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climen...ls_well_02.jpg[/quote]

thanks ever so much tht was the photo i was needing thats the colour scheme. where abouts did you find the picture and who was the driver when this picture was taken

Old 26 Oct 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1750473)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well it has the alloy cage so I am right there, I seem to remember now that it was infact non turbo as I recollect chatting to the entrant and was surprised because its quite a big and heavy car especially with a steel cage fitted and it just could not cut it with the Capris, Rovers and Camaros in class A. I think it was painted red and may have been the sister car but I am positive it was originally a factory car. What are your plans for it do you intend to race it? I had a look through some old programs but couldnt find anything, blimey we used to have three grids in those days with nearly 30 cars a grid, thats 90 cars on the day top that today!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 26 Oct 2006 at 21:11.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1750478)   #39
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM1
thanks ever so much tht was the photo i was needing thats the colour scheme. where abouts did you find the picture and who was the driver when this picture was taken
This is the full web page.

http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climen.../alls_well.htm

The colour scheme was I think the official works paint job of the time, but I can't be sure. I quite liked it and did my own version on my own single seater

Last edited by Alan Raine; 26 Oct 2006 at 21:17. Reason: link didn't work
Old 26 Oct 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1750482)   #40
ADAM1
Rookie

hopefully im going to restore it and ive been invited to the goodwood festival with it so ill keep it for now but ive had alot of offers on it so its got me wondering how much its actually worth ??? might put it in coyes auctions at the birmingham autosport show ???
Old 26 Oct 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1750543)   #41
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheene MA61

Hi, Adam is it?

I own the first Hughes of Beaconsfield MA61, which was the car used from mid 1983 until June 1984, last European race was Spa 1984. There were at least 4 Group A MA61s in Great Britain, of which Barry raced 2. The car that replaced mine, which was Win Percy's car for the second half of 1984, became Barry's first car. Barry destroyed this car, and the replacement was never as good, Barry says in one of his videos that because it was never set up by Win it was never the same, I assume this is the car you now have. My car came out to Australia after Spa 84, and was raced in Group A in Australia and New Zealand until 1989, so had a lot of sorting done. I have a fair stack of information on the cars, send me an email to artracing@optusnet.com.au. I had heard of your car in Scotland 11 years ago but wasn't able to track it down, I actually thought it must have been the 1985 rally car which is quite different to the circuit cars.

Regards,

John
Old 26 Oct 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1750546)   #42
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
All's Well

Alan, the MA61 on the All's Well site is the rally car, was very different to the circuit cars. All of the Hughes cars have slightly different colour schemes along the same theme, and you would also notice that the rally car is LHD while the three circuit race cars were RHD. The rally car was also what was called an 'L' type bodyshell, as was my circuit car, whereas the two Sheene cars were 'P' type bodyshells with the flares etc.

John
Old 27 Oct 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1750748)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
I had heard of your car in Scotland 11 years ago
As I said 'entered by a Scottish driver', and the 11 year time scale is spot on. I bet a pound to a piece of dogs muck its the same car that came out with us in the ModProds. Was the drivers name Angus McKie or something and he went on to have a go as a privateer in BTCC generally towards the blunt end but always a trier, him and his brother owned a scrappy yard as I recollect.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 27 Oct 2006 at 07:23.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1750795)   #44
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I hand't realised at least 3 cars had been built.

ART seems to have things right (well he must do because it sounds like he owns one of them!!)

and there's an older thread bringing up these cars)

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80367

funnily enough started by ART!!

My general recollection is the 1983 car went into '84 and got badly pranged by Win at Thruxton's Easter race on the opening lap. A new/2nd car (with wider homologated arches) was continually developed and by the end of '84 was highly competitive in Win's hands. (The original car got rebuilt and went onto Peter Williamson IIRC and the poor thing got another hiding on the Bathurst startline that year?)

Barry then took over this new/'2nd' car in 1985 which as has been said got walloped (at Thruxton again) in an infamous startline shunt. The replacement car was never as good but then Barry never seemed to get to grips with it anyway.

The rally car version was pedalled by Per Eklund in 1985 (I originally thought this was the first race car rebuilt) but I believe it was a completely different machine?
Old 27 Oct 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1750873)   #45
ADAM1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART Racing
The car that replaced mine, which was Win Percy's car for the second half of 1984, became Barry's first car. Barry destroyed this car, and the replacement was never as good,
this sounds like it could have been my car althought i have seen some "crash" videos where sheene get "T-Boned" the scars of crash can still be seen on my cars chassis. Proves its the right one i didnt no that there were 4 cars built i thought there were only 2 ???, a track car and a rally car.
i had been told that win percy used to drive my car before barry did.

have you restored your car in to its former works colours ???

thanks for the info.

adam
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1750884)   #46
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
Group A MA61s

Chunterer, yes what you have listed there very close from what I know. First car must have been a LHD car, as that is what is photographed in the original homologation papers, would have been built early 1983. What then happened to this car I don't know, as my car is the first circuit car, built early/mid 1983 and it is RHD. Perhaps this first LHD car ended up as the 1985 rally car? It has some things on it that were quite different to my car, such as an aluminium drop tank. Either that or it was a mockup to just get the papers done and was disassembled later, have seen that done in Group A.

I believe my car was supposed to be Win's car for the entire 1983 season, however Toyota didn't get the car homologated until 1 Aug 1983; so you see my car entered in races before that but I don't believe it raced until the GP weekend. As you say, my car was used until about May/June 1984 (don't know the exact date), and was replaced with the second car. This started out with a 'P' type bodyshell with flares, however this body was not homologated until Aug 1985 so I believe they must have been told to take the flared arches and quarters off: you later see the car with 'L' type panels without arches, both in England and at Spa 1985, then the second Sheene car finally gets flares after Aug 85. Interestingly, in Australia, Peter was told that you were not allowed to have the flares without the American style rear spoiler so my car got both even though it made refuelling a real bugger: the other 2 circuit cars never ran the rear spoiler, so different interpretations of the same rule.

My car was taken to Spa 84 by Gordon Spice (5th outright) then came to Australia, won the first ever Group A class here (Sandown 1984) then had the first of many bad prangs at Bathurst 1984. Peter used it until Bathurst 1987 where it failed to qualify, then it went to NZ for 2 years to do occasional races in the Nissan/Mobil series, before coming back to Australia.

Barry takes over from Win after 1984, and as you say destroys the 2nd circuit car at Thruxton, and the third car is never as good as the previous ones so they give it away at the end of 85.

Meanwhile, the LHD Rally car wins in 1985, as has already been documented, then they give rallying with Supras away as well.

So at least 4 cars built for Hughes, but have never been able to get many leads to verify the exact count. I have had a look at the Group N Belga team cars, but they have different roll cages so I am pretty sure none of them are ex Hughes LHD cars.

Would love to know if anyone else has anything more concrete on this history, bit hard to compile form the other side of the world.

John
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1750900)   #47
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
MA61s

"i had been told that win percy used to drive my car before barry did.

have you restored your car in to its former works colours ???"

Adam, I believe the second car was scrapped and (assuming your car is RHD) I believe your car is therefore the third circuit car. Mind you, all I have to make me think that is an interview I saw with Barry later, he made it sound like the third car was a new one.

No, my car is not in the works colours. Group A is an historic category here, and we have to have the cars in the exact mechanical spec and livery for a particular race meeting. My car has been rebuilt in its 1987 Australian colour scheme, to take advantage of the later homologations which continued until Aug 1986. It received lightweight suspension and bigger front brakes in that homologation, which are on my car. It also received a different fuel injection system in 1985 and other goodies. I could take it back to 1983 spec as I have the parts still, but it would lose 50hp and gain heavier suspension etc, and I would have to take the flares off it which means new front guards and quarters, and none of the L type panels are available here (all Supras sold here were P types). Given that it never raced here in those works colours, I am better off keeping it in its 1986 or 87 colour schemes.

John
Old 27 Oct 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1751064)   #48
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
one from google if that helps

its not in BTCC mode, though

Old 27 Oct 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1751108)   #49
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Groupc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have one or two, including one of him spinning it at Silverstone. I will look this weekend and reply.

Curious why you are looking for photos ?

Julian
Old 27 Oct 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1751228)   #50
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupc

Curious why you are looking for photos ?
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90226

Tags
arden conversions, atcc, btcc, group a, hughes of beaconsfield, martin brothers, spa 24 hours, toyota celica supra, win percy