Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1398610)   #1
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for Dennis Leech and Johnty Williamson

Does anyone have contact details for these two gentlemen?

I believe Dennis lived in the Exeter area and Johnty lived in Wiltshire. I'd like to ask them about a Chevron B28 that they both owned (or two B28s that they separately owned).

Thanks

Allen
Old 4 Sep 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1398897)   #2
Steve L
Rookie

Steve L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is the same Johnty Williamson that runs the 1924 Land Speed Record Delage, he can be contacted via the Vintage Sports Car Club.
Old 4 Sep 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1398979)   #3
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys. I now have a telephone number for Johnty.

How about Dennis Leech? Anyone in contact with him?

Allen
Old 4 Sep 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1398998)   #4
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was a thread, probably on PistonHead forum, I remember they said he was with one of the TVR GT team, not Chamberlain Sinergy, not LNT, probably Peninsula.....yes, checked http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&q=...eech+TVR&meta=
Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1399052)   #5
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Well done Fausto!

I have also been given a home address for him.

Mission accomplished. Thanks all!
Old 9 Sep 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1403138)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hello all

Has anyone by any chance got a picture of Johnty Williamson in the Chevron in UK sprints in 1979? It may have had a very distinctive nose so even a blurry picture could be very useful.

Many thanks

Allen
Old 10 Sep 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1403586)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Continued use

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Hello all

Has anyone by any chance got a picture of Johnty Williamson in the Chevron in UK sprints in 1979? It may have had a very distinctive nose so even a blurry picture could be very useful.

Many thanks

Allen
Johnty was still running the car in 1981 so there is a wider 'window' of opportunity.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1403787)   #8
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Very true Steve. I was hoping to get a picture of it in 1979 before the car became too modified from the form in which Dennis Leech would have driven it - if indeed it proves to be the same car.

Allen
Old 9 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1428827)   #9
tigerbill65
Rookie

tigerbill65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my mate has just bought a car from dennis leech. do you need his contact details
Old 10 Oct 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1429779)   #10
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi

Thanks for the offer but someone has spoken to him on my behalf and established that Dennis doesn't remember exactly where the Chevron went. He recalls it going to a hillclimber and Johnty recalls buying the car from a man called Dariani who we know was involved with the special salooners, as was Dennis. I'm 80% sure it's the same car but still can't prove the link.

If anyone wants to follow the developing story, try this page.

Allen
Old 12 May 2007, 06:48 (Ref:1911443)   #11
skid mark
Rookie

Qatar
Rutland
skid mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dennis Leech

I am interested in finding out information about Dennis Leech, just for curiosities sake really.
I first saw him racing his sierra cosworth in the early 90's and I will always remember that his out fit was obviously run on a shoe string, as Dennis was invariably covered in oil and grease and his car trailer looked like a rummage sale! I could not help but admire the way he went racing.
I have seen him in the backs of garages at various meetings, most recently in the RPM tent at the Silverstone GT race. I am aware that he ran the TVR GT team for a while.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1926762)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Don't know if you've had much joy with Dennis Leech info yet but I can give you further info about his past racing.

You mention the BTCC Sierra, well that was very much a self run op using an ex RS500 shell and an engine prepared by a firm called Mass or was it Empress?

Prior to that he was well known for his exploits as a privateer in the BTCC. In the 70's he raced Camaros/Mustangs and then Capris and then latterly Rover SD1's between 1982 (the last season of Group 1) and 1988, when he had a nasty shunt at Thruxton.

There is some reference to his Rover exploits in this thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81326

Dennis ran a black with Dayglo orange stipes colour scheme on these cars originally made famous in UK by Dave Brodie.

I think legend has it that Dennis bought a Grp 1 Capri from Dave in the late 70's and then carried on with the same livery as his own kind of 'signature.'
Old 21 May 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3905089)   #13
AmyLangson
Rookie

AmyLangson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbill65 View Post
my mate has just bought a car from dennis leech. do you need his contact details
Hi, I'm aware this is a very old thread but I'm desperately trying to contact Dennis, he was a very good customer of mine at Aston Martin and Jag Exeter and we became quite close, unfortunately I lost all contact details for him after I left the dealership. If you could put me in touch with him I'd be extremely grateful... Please?