Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Nov 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3861711)   #2226
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have to admire the ingenuity of those highly paid people who devise even more fiendish ways of extracting taxes from the hoi polloi.
Old 7 Nov 2018, 23:12 (Ref:3861728)   #2227
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You have to admire the ingenuity of those highly paid people who devise even more fiendish ways of extracting taxes from the hoi polloi.
All of the "money" is theirs. They lend it to you by various means but feel a need to obscure how to take it back so that they can lend it to you again.

The apparently clever bit is all about how much they can present to as "justifiable" recovery for spending on things that apparently help us - the openly visible means of taxation that people generally accept grudgingly - versus the stuff they recover without people really noticing.

The visible stuff is then allegedly budgeted for Health, Education, Security, Infrastructure, Overseas aid and so on.

The obscured stuff is quietly stuffed away on projects like the absurd refurbishment of the Houses of Parliament, various large virtue signally projects, pet projects that the politicians hope will see their name go forward in future history and many, many more run-of-the-mill vanity projects that are tucked away from the public gaze.

The one things that gives a few of the world leader food for thought is that if they were to eliminate all the peasants at the bottom of the pyramid ... there would be nothing to keep the construction standing.

Which is why, in the western world, they keep doling out the "money" and then trawling it back in taxes. It creates a dependency - albeit it is a two way dependency.

The really clever bit is how you hide the extras and even get people to unwittingly pay again for things that you tell them are covered by the first snatch back whilst making them feel good about themselves for doing it.

Genius.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 01:55 (Ref:3861737)   #2228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Off to Sandown Park in Melbourne this weekend (Fri Sat Sun) for the annual Sandown Historic meeting.
https://vhrr.com/wp/sandown/

Good spread of cars from the 1920s to the ‘80s... F5000 plenty of Historic Touring categories, all manner of Sports Cars and assorted open wheelers, even regularity. 50 actual events on Saturday and Sunday plus free practice Friday.

Bonus is that after a very wet week the weekend is forecast to be sunny!

Entry list: https://vhrr.com/Sandown-Event-Sched...-list-2018.pdf
Old 8 Nov 2018, 06:42 (Ref:3861750)   #2229
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Off to Sandown Park in Melbourne this weekend (Fri Sat Sun) for the annual Sandown Historic meeting.

Bonus is that after a very wet week the weekend is forecast to be sunny!
Hope it goes well! Now preparing for night frosts, heavy rain, strong winds, possible snow and having to wear jeans instead of shorts......
Old 8 Nov 2018, 08:13 (Ref:3861757)   #2230
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Ha, almost forget, we have to register our bicycles and engrave them now and they invented a new regulation for the electric trotinettes (which is a good thing imho).

Have you filled up with any free petrol:diesel yet, Gerard?
Old 8 Nov 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3861761)   #2231
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Have you filled up with any free petrol:diesel yet, Gerard?
Free, wherzat John??? Please tell me!
I keep an old but good diesel 530 Bimmer to trail and, like you, bought a new daily gazoline car. I just had to convince My Lady that a Fiesta is almost as good as an Audi A1! And presumably more reliable… Less snobby.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3861763)   #2232
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Free, wherzat John??? Please tell me!
I keep an old but good diesel 530 Bimmer to trail and, like you, bought a new daily gazoline car. I just had to convince My Lady that a Fiesta is almost as good as an Audi A1! And presumably more reliable… Less snobby.
I haven't checked for myself but somebody told me last night that for a couple of weeks Carrefour & Leclerc Hypermarkets are selling fuelat reduced prices - it was suggested they are only charging for the tax but I haven't got a hypermarket near me so can't say for sure.

I haven't bought a petrol car yet but I need to soon. My lady would be happy with a Fiesta as it's "only a car". I have got her identifying Alfa's now though. She was very amused when I exchanged waves with another 156 driver the other day. "You know him? she asked.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3861765)   #2233
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I imagine she couldn't find a better teacher. Waving at others riders, I've always been. When I started to drive, only two types of drivers used to "blink", Panhard 24 CT and Amazon's. The 122 S was my first love. And if old love never rust, my Volvo did ! C'est la vie.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3861766)   #2234
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I imagine she couldn't find a better teacher. Waving at others riders, I've always been. When I started to drive, only two types of drivers used to "blink", Panhard 24 CT and Amazon's. The 122 S was my first love. And if old love never rust, my Volvo did ! C'est la vie.
I have a friend in Norfolk who has two Amazon's.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3861770)   #2235
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We had a woman in France, Brigitte Vincent, semi official Volvo. At the end of the Les Routes du Nord rallye, she declared to the press that the Amazon was the car nothing could stop not even its brakes! She was fired immediately and had to take a train to join Paris from Lille! Happy days, n'est ce pas?
Old 8 Nov 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3861771)   #2236
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Many classics are still fast, have good cornering abilities but brakes are often an issue in the modern trafic. Few years ago, I used a 2300 S coupé as a daily. From the catalogue, everything was OK, discs all round and two master vacs coming as standard equipment. Good looking, room for four adults but almost unstoppable…
Old 8 Nov 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3861774)   #2237
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the recent change in rules in the UK, whereby an MOT is no longer required for vehicles over 25(?) years old, the need to be vigilant is going to be greater. Personally I'm planning on upgrading our roadgoing MGB brakes with better discs and bigger calipers. The rears are drum and will remain thus.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3861789)   #2238
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fuel prices?

The press is 'reporting' a new supermarket fuel 'price war' with prices reduced by 2p per litre!

Wow.

I discovered a few weeks ago that Tesco was awarding vouchers for 10p/ltr discount for a shopping bill over £60.

It seems there is room to be flexible on pricing ...
Old 8 Nov 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3861803)   #2239
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That's another year over. Winter jobs now. I am lucky to be able to bike into work every day around the Berkshire and Oxfordshire countryside.Its a 15 mile ride and I just had to stop and take this picture this morning which is just outside Checkingdon at around 12 miles. Happy days.
Attached Thumbnails
Stoke Row 2 2018.jpg  

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 8 Nov 2018 at 14:16.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3861804)   #2240
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry as usual can someone "Gordon ". Twist photo round please.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3861808)   #2241
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There you go.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3861809)   #2242
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
What picture?

Ah- it’s appeared.......
Old 8 Nov 2018, 14:19 (Ref:3861810)   #2243
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Fuel prices?

The press is 'reporting' a new supermarket fuel 'price war' with prices reduced by 2p per litre!

Wow.

I discovered a few weeks ago that Tesco was awarding vouchers for 10p/ltr discount for a shopping bill over £60.

It seems there is room to be flexible on pricing ...

Yep - just used our 10p/litre discount voucher from Tesco to fill up my 159 diesel Sportwagon - saved £6 off the pump price, which was already 4p/litre cheaper than our nearest filling station.....and Tesco is only 2 miles away.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3861811)   #2244
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Big mistake yesterday....not content with having been tricked into getting into "Project Binky", I ventured into "Murray's Mk1"........almost 2 hours later I was up to the end of episode 7.........
Old 8 Nov 2018, 14:56 (Ref:3861815)   #2245
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Big mistake yesterday....not content with having been tricked into getting into "Project Binky", I ventured into "Murray's Mk1"........almost 2 hours later I was up to the end of episode 7.........
Oh dear! Like me you appear to have 'got it bad'! I was pining for a couple of weeks waiting for episode 11, now I'm anxiously awaiting episode 12! What worries me is that at the slow rate of progress, it'll probably be episode 40 before it's a runner, and I don't know if I'll live that long!
Old 8 Nov 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3861818)   #2246
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah YouTube, the "Time Hoover" as I've heard it called.

Like Delta we're wrapping up 2018, it's the last Championship round of the season this weekend. Unlike Delta we start the winter series soon, plus winter testing which alas isn't somewhere nice and warm like Portugal but England in the rain and snow!

Still, "mustn't grumble", it could be worse, I could have to get one of those strange things, what's it called? Ah yes a "job"

We've got a Tesco in the next town that has fuel fully 10p/litre cheaper than some other garages. It always takes ages to fill up because the forecourt is full. I wonder why?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Nov 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3861828)   #2247
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As on usual, John is right, many french supermarkets offer discount prices, making no growth margin on diesel and gazoline. Leclerc, Carrefour, Casino, Intermarché and Auchan. For some, the discount could last till end of November.
Diesel at Leclerc drive is € 1,468 while Shell seems to be € 1,616. Others carburants, Leclerc always cheaper.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3861829)   #2248
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
As on usual, John is right, many french supermarkets offer discount prices, making no growth margin on diesel and gazoline. Leclerc, Carrefour, Casino, Intermarché and Auchan. For some, the discount could last till end of November.
Diesel at Leclerc drive is € 1,468 while Shell seems to be € 1,616. Others carburants, Leclerc always cheaper.
Thank you for that kind accolade, Gerard! I can think of someone who might dispute it...
Old 8 Nov 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3861830)   #2249
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
If anyone wants a prime example of the differences between forecourts depending on location and operator- BP on the bypass here £1-46.9, Norwich centre Supermarkets £1-31.9........ If only the latter had truck pumps!

I thought it must be a really slow news day this morning when all the beeb could talk about was Prince Charles and a comment about how he would change if he becomes ‘King Charles’.

When the added ‘you can hear more by watching our documentary tonight’ was broadcast the whole thing made sense- Another Promo!
Old 8 Nov 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3861831)   #2250
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Thank you for that kind accolade, Gerard! I can think of someone who might dispute it...
You'll be safe I think John. For whatever reason Bauble doesn't seem to be around on here so much lately!
(This is what my wife would call 'fishing', setting the bait to see if he bites and makes a reply!)