Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3711517)   #1
PerigeeC
Rookie

PerigeeC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Rhodes - "Perigee C" Formula 1200 1960's-70's

A long shot I know but I have owned an old racing car for a number of years and am getting close to the stage (in life more than anything else) where I want look to return it to the track.

It was called the "Perigee C" and was built by Peter Rhodes in the late 1960's for the Formula 1200 races of the 750 Motor Club. It raced very competitively for a few years before it (and Peter) won the Formula 1200 Championship in 1971.

The other day I was lucky enough to buy several years worth of 750 Bulletins off EBay and have found out that it featured on the cover of a few especially the March 1972 edition where Peter also gave it a write-up.

I was tempted to find Wobbly-Webs for it, a Lotus 7 nose (I already have) and the 1300 five-bearing-crank - but after some serious reflection feel that this would be the wrong route to take - I want to restore it as close to as it was in 1971. I have found a suitable 1200cc Cortina engine that I hope to be able to replicate Peter's description of how he breathed such a life into his.

My car is No. 197 in the front row of the line-up below:

Does anyone know if Peter is still with us ? Does anyone have any photos of late 60's Formula 1200 (750MC) races ? Does anyone have any suitable engine parts kicking about ?

My car is No.197 in the front row of the below line-up:
Attached Thumbnails
Perigee C.jpg  

Last edited by PerigeeC; 11 Feb 2017 at 10:59. Reason: comment on photo
Old 11 Feb 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3711542)   #2
PerigeeC
Rookie

Reading 750 Bulletins from 1969 I have found that there were 2 Perigee C's racing at the time and the other was driven by a Norman Manning.

I now like to find out which one of the two I own.
Old 11 Feb 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3711574)   #3
PerigeeC
Rookie

Being totally new to this forum (and the questions I have asked for help for) - is there anyone able to direct me to a suitable forum/group where I might be able to dig deeper into late 1960's early 1970's 750 Motor Club scene ?
Old 19 Feb 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3713119)   #4
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, welcome to the forum, try this forum, http://forums.autosport.com/forum/10...stalgia-forum/
a lot of very knowledgeable people who have been around the sport a long while, I am sure someone can help you out. Also you could try the Classic Clubmans forum and the Historic 750 Formula forum, the 750 Formula cars raced at the same events as the 1200`s so someone may remember some information on the cars.
http://750trophyracing.proboards.com...ral-discussion
Could you post some current pics of the car on one of the forums or pm me them as I would love to see them, I remember the name as I went to the 8 Clubs race meeting at Silverstone every year from the late 60`s through to the early 80`s, I have some programmes around here somewhere if you would like me to scan the entry list.............Martin
Old 10 Sep 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3765875)   #5
PerigeeCdaughter
Rookie

PerigeeCdaughter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not such a long shot after all!!

I am Peter Rhodes Daughter.

We have all the info about the car and how he built the car but it's with my mum in Spain. Sadly my father passed away in 2012 .. but it is in Spain

I was with my dad when he won the championship in 1971 and spent my childhood weekend from six weeks old at Silverstone!

Happy to help out if you need any info

Best wishes

Nickie Rhodes-Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerigeeC View Post
A long shot I know but I have owned an old racing car for a number of years and am getting close to the stage (in life more than anything else) where I want look to return it to the track.

It was called the "Perigee C" and was built by Peter Rhodes in the late 1960's for the Formula 1200 races of the 750 Motor Club. It raced very competitively for a few years before it (and Peter) won the Formula 1200 Championship in 1971.

The other day I was lucky enough to buy several years worth of 750 Bulletins off EBay and have found out that it featured on the cover of a few especially the March 1972 edition where Peter also gave it a write-up.

I was tempted to find Wobbly-Webs for it, a Lotus 7 nose (I already have) and the 1300 five-bearing-crank - but after some serious reflection feel that this would be the wrong route to take - I want to restore it as close to as it was in 1971. I have found a suitable 1200cc Cortina engine that I hope to be able to replicate Peter's description of how he breathed such a life into his.

My car is No. 197 in the front row of the line-up below:

Does anyone know if Peter is still with us ? Does anyone have any photos of late 60's Formula 1200 (750MC) races ? Does anyone have any suitable engine parts kicking about ?

My car is No.197 in the front row of the below line-up:
Old 10 Sep 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3765876)   #6
PerigeeCdaughter
Rookie

PerigeeCdaughter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have all information.. I am Peter Rhodes daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman24 View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum, try this forum, http://forums.autosport.com/forum/10...stalgia-forum/
a lot of very knowledgeable people who have been around the sport a long while, I am sure someone can help you out. Also you could try the Classic Clubmans forum and the Historic 750 Formula forum, the 750 Formula cars raced at the same events as the 1200`s so someone may remember some information on the cars.
http://750trophyracing.proboards.com...ral-discussion
Could you post some current pics of the car on one of the forums or pm me them as I would love to see them, I remember the name as I went to the 8 Clubs race meeting at Silverstone every year from the late 60`s through to the early 80`s, I have some programmes around here somewhere if you would like me to scan the entry list.............Martin
Old 14 Oct 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3774179)   #7
Historic 750 Formula Rep
Rookie

Historic 750 Formula Rep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750mc - Under 1500cc historic racing

Hi.

I represent the Historic 750 Formula racing in 750mc. I can be contacted directly be email, or mobile - please ask me for details.

H750F race in two Classes
  • Class A: Austin 7's, supercharged and normally aspirated.
  • Class C: Pre-1974 Formula cars. (Reliant 850, Ford 1172, Other engines under 1500cc)
Class C cars are predominently powered by Reliant 850cc engines. But, we also accept Ford 1172 engines. We have amended our Regulations for 2018 to accept 'other' engines up to 1500cc. This for example has allowed a Lotus 6 with a 1500cc Consul engine and an Historic Formula Vee 1300 to run with us.

Any vehicle fitting into the 'other' category would be assessed on a 'case by case' basis. And the race car must be of 'similar performance.'

We run 8-10 scratch races per season, and now we also run 2 Handicap races per year. For the handicap races the regs will be 'relaxed' so you needn't comply 'to the letter' of the regs for the Handicap events.

We are a friendly series, and our main aim is to 'have fun' enjoying each others company, friendship and having great camaraderie.

If you want more information please get in touch, and follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/Historic750Formula . PM me for my email address.

Thanks,
Lyndon
Old 18 Jan 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3876855)   #8
mark broad
Rookie

mark broad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello, I am a previous owner of PERIGEE, the car which won the F1200 series in 1970 or 1971. My friend and I raced in the 750 MC F1300 series in 1978 and 79.
We ran the car with a fabulous non-crossflow all steel Ford 1300 engine but with disastrous 'dual circuit' brakes.
If you are still searching for more information and photographs please contact me on this forum or by e mail. mbroadbean@yahoo.com
regards, Mark Broad.