Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3250363)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Mike...sorry to hear and see the outcome.....the SLR looked stunning, and every time I looked up (we were in the 356 sharing your pit garage) you were either tinkering or polishing! Fingers crossed that all will be well for Monza!
Thanks Will, and glad your race kit was handed in. Not cheap to replace!

Please come and introduce yourself next time- I'm old and not good at remembering names and faces!

Old 20 May 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3250379)   #52
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks Will, and glad your race kit was handed in. Not cheap to replace!

Please come and introduce yourself next time- I'm old and not good at remembering names and faces!

Ah!!! so it was your race kit. I handed it it in.You owe me a beer.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:36 (Ref:3250398)   #53
Jan Biekens
Rookie

Jan Biekens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Alan Morgan and the Delta Team working hard on the car. First in Class and fastest lap. Brilliant preparation from Iain and the whole of the Delta Team.
Well done Michael, very good race, congratulations !!!
Old 20 May 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3250409)   #54
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ah!!! so it was your race kit. I handed it it in.You owe me a beer.
Iain you are an absolute legend...thanks mate, and you are quite right I do owe you!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 20 May 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3250434)   #55
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guards GT

Thank you to Chairman Sharples for making me laugh in the assembly area prior to the race. He asked whether the GT grid was big enough for me !

Thanks to the club for a great meeting and a very well organised dinner.

Mark
Old 20 May 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3250456)   #56
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few shots from Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4896.jpg   IMG_6196.jpg   IMG_5507.jpg  

IMG_6051.jpg   IMG_5951.jpg   IMG_6142.jpg  

Old 20 May 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3250461)   #57
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and another set. Saturdays will take me a while.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6268.jpg   IMG_5043.jpg   IMG_5155.jpg  

IMG_5396.jpg   IMG_5987.jpg   IMG_5717.jpg  

Old 20 May 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3250467)   #58
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Critcher View Post
you ask for a TVR? You got it..............

And what a splendidly turned out example it is too - even if I do say so myself!
Old 20 May 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3250470)   #59
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good weekend all round for the Delta camp, well done for out-potting us Compte! We had no issues at all with the car, or at least none that they told me about, and it's all coming together very nicely. Only problem we did have was with the new Deltacam in qually. " only 2 buttons, I can handle that". You can guess the rest

Just as well we had the younger generation on hand to sort it out.
Old 20 May 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3250474)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
And what a splendidly turned out example it is too - even if I do say so myself!
Those wheel arches correct Sir? They look different to all the others.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3250497)   #61
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also had a great race, in the saloons, I expect that most had gone home by the time we got to race, certainly the paddock was thinning out considerably. Managed to qualify my Imp 5th and finish 4th after the retirement of the Mustang. Had a splendid race throughout with Neil Brown's Cortina - he was able to pull away on the straights and then I could close on the brakes and through the twisty bits, but I never quite managed a pass. Really enjoy the GP circuit - something there for all cars to have a go at...
Old 20 May 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3250524)   #62
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where were all the other Imps Simon? They don't seem so keen as you are on the GP circuit, but now you've shown them how to do it maybe they'll come out next year.
Old 20 May 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3250542)   #63
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Forgot too say waved at Chiggley on my way out after taking over from Colin total ignor!!!! WTF
Quote:
Same here Iain! Bloody Porsche drivers........ BTW Ian (chigley) told me why the Porker Safety Car didn't have roof lights. Hope he will tell the story on here.
OK, OK I put my hands up, guilty as charged. But can you put a bullhorn, with different 10/10ths tunes, on the front of your car so I can tell who is coming out of the pits at a great rate of knots....by the time I can see the (usually) white helmet you've disappeared in a cloud of noise.

Oh what a weekend!!!
Saturday discovered that the trusty, but usually threadless tyred GT3 had been replaced with a brand new 911 Carrera S... ooow doesn't it look pretty . JP (snr) had taken it for a couple of laps and discovered (as usual) the tyre pressures were hopelessly low. Quick trip to the Dunlop guys for some air. What pressures? the handbook gave 6 variations each of which contradicted the door plate, oh well blow therm up hard and see how it feels.
Next problem, where's Julian? we use his roof lights... he's at Donny... has he left them with anyone? nope no offers. Thankfully one of the MGCC guys has a small set of LED's so they'll do. I put the magnetic bases on the car and they slid straight off. The bloomin porkers roof is composite/plastic. OK my trusty Halfords luggage strap will hold them in place.???? ratcheting the strap tight the roof bows in several cms and the lights are still not really tight. They're not safe for some of the abuse we are going to give them so can we run on Hazards lights. Thankfully the Stewards agree so off we go ... its only 3/4 through the 2nd qually session. That's the Saturday tale of running with hazard lights.
Sunday, can we just forget it!
Julians back from Donny so we have the lights but they can't go on the roof (plastic) so we'll put them in the back on the rear parcel shelf (great idea). Wrong, they disappear out of sight the shelf is too low! ****, ****, ****!!!!
A search starts to find something sturdy enough and high enough for the lights to be visible in the rear window. Race admin and the HSCC diner is scoured and eventually I find a blue washing up bowl that will do. Who it belonged to I've no idea but it was requisitioned (nicked). The bowl and lights fit, just! but will not stay put! The luggage strap comes into play again and multiple bondage sessions later they are well and truly secure.
Doing some of the quicker rolling starts (DBT, Martini...) they didn't move an inch.
I won't go into the drama of trying to refuel the thing on Sunday .

If anyone spots a red Porsche GT3 with a steel roof and Silverstone Porsche Centre markings on it can you return to the HSCC office and put a huge wheel clamp on it so we can use it for the next event.

Last edited by Chigley; 20 May 2013 at 13:48. Reason: Corrected some of the grammar errors.
Old 20 May 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3250547)   #64
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
I also had a great race, in the saloons, I expect that most had gone home by the time we got to race, certainly the paddock was thinning out considerably. Managed to qualify my Imp 5th and finish 4th after the retirement of the Mustang. Had a splendid race throughout with Neil Brown's Cortina - he was able to pull away on the straights and then I could close on the brakes and through the twisty bits, but I never quite managed a pass. Really enjoy the GP circuit - something there for all cars to have a go at...

Well done Simon....

And entertaining tale, Mr Chigley, sir!
Old 20 May 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3250554)   #65
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
It was a pleasure to meet MB, Delta and Co and also Peter Mallett. Nice to meet you Peter it was a shame I didn't have more time to chat, someone wanted to go racing. Most inconsiderate of them!

Mike, you didn't really have to go to such lengths to demonstrate your ballet skills in a car and mountain goat agility for climbing Silverstone concrete walls. As you came into Copse I thought you had merely hit the loud pedal too soon and lost the back end, but seeing the wheel make a bid for freedom changed that. You were very lucky not the dig in a roll or hook back onto the circuit. The snatch looked a bit precarious at times but went well.
I hope you can get the car repaired quickly, it really is unique and "pretty".
Old 20 May 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3250656)   #66
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely day marshalling at Becketts yesterday with some nice big grids to enjoy.

We push-started a Formula Junior driver (Andrew Hibberd, I think) when he came off in the first lap melee and stalled, then were thoroughly entertained as he worked his way from dead last up to fifth. A good save and the wave on his way round after the flag was much appreciated.
Old 20 May 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3250694)   #67
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
Your Imp is awsom Simon. We look after/help Richard Owen Galaxie and I watched the race .Very impressed with the speed you carry through Copse.
Old 20 May 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3250731)   #68
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some images from Sunday.
Starting with the Porsche without lights...

At Copse. The lap before it all went wrong... and I put the camera away!

Close battle for the lead.

Just because I like it...

And finally...
[/url]

Last edited by percy; 20 May 2013 at 19:22. Reason: added pic
Old 20 May 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3250737)   #69
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, my son was one of many who joined forces to try to push start the Galaxie - not an easy task, even with many bodies...

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Imp - have to carry the speed wherever possible, being lighter than most helps.
Old 20 May 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3250742)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post

You were very lucky not the dig in a roll or hook back onto the circuit. The snatch looked a bit precarious at times but went well.

I hope you can get the car repaired quickly, it really is unique and "pretty".
Thanks for relating the SC lights saga, Ian! It deserved a wider audience.

Re: the above, forgot you had a grandstand seat. I would like to attribute it all down to skill and fast reactions rather than luck. I would, but I can't...... But I am looking forward to seeing the in-car video!

Car is already back at Brands Hatch Morgans and parts are on the way. 2 new half shafts and hubs, to be on the safe side. Body damage very slight considering, so all in all- it could have been a heck of a lot worse!

Thanks for the pics, Brands and Percy!
Old 20 May 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3250743)   #71
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - as I took up position at Copse, one marshal advised against going up on the small raised area as 'wheels often come off around there'... 10 minutes later and you obliged in style! Bit spooky.
Glad all is well.

I have more pics of the SLRs - I'll pass them to Bauble for him to forward onto the Morgan drivers.
Old 20 May 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3250789)   #72
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
Starting with the Porsche without lights...
Did anyone notice the strategic bit of black tape warding off any chance of bad luck..... & not guilty it wasn't me who was superstitious .
Old 21 May 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3250938)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Did anyone notice the strategic bit of black tape warding off any chance of bad luck.....
Didn't help me much!
Old 21 May 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3251036)   #74
youngFJracer
Rookie

youngFJracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Lovely day marshalling at Becketts yesterday with some nice big grids to enjoy.

We push-started a Formula Junior driver (Andrew Hibberd, I think) when he came off in the first lap melee and stalled, then were thoroughly entertained as he worked his way from dead last up to fifth. A good save and the wave on his way round after the flag was much appreciated.

Thanks Pauln for the Push start from you!! I was getting worried the car wasnt going to start at all..... then the Fire tender went past followed by the Ambulance and still no joy, then the old girl coughed into life luckily, BUT as not to flood it I turned the fuel pump off so half down the hanger I nearly stopped again "muppet". I even got a wave as I passed the ambulance haha, looks interesting on my on-board camera.

Thanks to all the marshalls for their help, glad you enjoyed the race I was pleased to have finished 5th but also pretty cheesed off to have spun in the first place, always next time though!

Regards, Andrew
Old 21 May 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3251040)   #75
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
You might be a young FJ racer Andrew but I love your taist of music ,and beer.