Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the driver of the Grand Prix?
Lewis Hamilton 26 59.09%
Valtteri Bottas 1 2.27%
Sebastian Vettel 1 2.27%
Kimi Räikkönen 11 25.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Daniel Ricciardo 1 2.27%
Nico Hulkenberg 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 1 2.27%
Fernando Alonso 0 0%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Pierre Gasly 0 0%
Brendon Hartley 0 0%
Sergio Pérez 0 0%
Esteban Ocon 1 2.27%
Charles Leclerc 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Lance Stroll 1 2.27%
Sergey Sirotkin 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Sep 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3849142)   #51
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It's a bit like comparing someone who plays Battlefield 1942 on the PC to someone who actually fought in WW2.
Sounds like rose-tinted glasses to me.

Bit of a weird analogy because it's kinda suggesting that today's drivers are nothing more than Codemasters F1 2018 players. Seems like you are the one devaluing championships, not the drivers.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 10:27 (Ref:3849161)   #52
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Bit of a weird analogy because it's kinda suggesting that today's drivers are nothing more than Codemasters F1 2018 players. Seems like you are the one devaluing championships, not the drivers.
You do have to admit that the risk of serious injury and death is immeasurably less now though.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3849180)   #53
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

It's kinda hard to have rose tinted glasses when I was not even born yet to witness it. I just respect their achievements a lot more than the achievements of current drivers.

And yes, my analogy is suggesting exactly that.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3849351)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If that was the case they'd simply take the top eSports drivers from all the leaderboards in various games and sims and drop them into Formula One tests. Or any car tests for that matter. There must be a good reason why that doesn't happen. There are some rare exceptions, but given the millions of people on these leaderboards, you'd think if they were as easy to drive as computer games then the series would be filled with gamers.

The irony here being is that it was JV who wanted joypad controls in his cars and had BAR rig up a gokart with a joypad, lol.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3849369)   #55
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why keep involving JV into this? Like I agree with everything the man has said and done?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3849378)   #56
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
I do, for instance I don't agree with a statement that current multiple world champions hold up against those from the past, especially the 50's-60's.
While the current crop of champions are certainly talented, they just don't compare to the champions of the past.

It's a bit like comparing someone who plays Battlefield 1942 on the PC to someone who actually fought in WW2.
not sure I completely agree.

it was much easier to stand out in the days of Fangio/ Clark, when half the grid was full of wealthy ameturs/ semi professional drivers, there was a much greater difference in cars, with some older models than others.

these days you have 22 althletes, who have been trained since the age of 8 to drive cars which are engineered within an inch of their lives.

theres no doubt the greats are still great, but I do think its harder to separate the good and great these days just because of the conditions they are in