Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Apr 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3895043)   #1
cmcwilliam
Rookie

cmcwilliam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsports Insurance

Good morning all,

I wanted to ask what experienced people had with obtaining insurance for race meetings. I’m racing at the members meeting in a vintage car and the insurance market seems both weird and expensive.

I got a quote for £50k (what I figured repairs might cost rather than value) and asked for a £10k excess. I got a quote back on a £25k excess basis - premium £2k! So if I had a bump I could be out of pocket £27k before insurance kicks in...

Is this a typical scene for race meeting insurance?

Many thanks!
Craig
Old 3 Apr 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3895063)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Craig. It seems to be a case of every parameter having to be built in- Not just the potential repair cost, but experience of driver(s), circuit, profile of the meeting, type of car, value of car, and probably more I’ve not remembered. Most if not all people I’ve raced with don’t have specific race insurance, but take the risk. Away from track insurance (transport, storage, road risks etc) is a different matter....
Old 3 Apr 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3895082)   #3
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Craig, I use to work for a famous broker in France supposed to be #1 in this field. Mike is perfectly correct many parameters are taken in count, profile of the meeting and of the driver coming above the list.

I dont have any recommandation for you but one of my mate using a Semi Lightweight asked last year. I did recommend to subscribe because of the car's value, the costs of repairs and the races entered which were Tour Auto and Le Mans Classic this year.

Bear in mind that once you've asked all your data are in a worldwide file… You can also "play" with the "incendie et valeur totale de remplacement" and "transport sur remorque avec vol" as well. Sorry for the french language!
If its Gras Savoye ask for a rolling chassis insurance and compare.
To make things clear if you enter one or two races its expensive but worth. And yes, this is weird but not any more than dealing with some banks!
In the late seventies early eighties I use to have a contract with an English company. Happy with that when I totally wrote off a Carrera RS 3 litre at Montlhéry, think it was '75…
You must know the proverb "l'assurance semble toujours chère avant l'accident". Have fun and be safe.