Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2003, 02:40 (Ref:494490)   #1
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firman signs for Jordan! (aka Jordan thread 12,455)

OK, I'll believe it when i see him in an EJ13, but FYI

From Guardian UK

British representation in the 2003 world championship rises to four drivers today as Ralph Firman Jr signs a contract with the Jordan-Ford formula one team to guarantee his place alongside David Coulthard, Jenson Button and Justin Wilson on the starting grid for next month's Australian grand prix....

....It is clear that Firman has brought with him some sponsorship backing, although there is no indication yet as to who these sponsors might be.

It is possible Jordan will start the season without an official title sponsor, although there is likely to be a degree of Benson & Hedges branding on the car as there was last season. (doesnt sound good at all)

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...887660,00.html
Old 3 Feb 2003, 02:43 (Ref:494493)   #2
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How reliable is this? Everyone and their mother said Massa had the seat days ago and then that fell through. This guy is from British F3, correct?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 03:40 (Ref:494514)   #3
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Concensus now is that massa deal is dead, but no explanations have been advanced for this. Jordan always denied that anything was signed with massa, though his management have on several occasions stated that deal was on table for EJ to sign.

None of this makes sense and as we are now looking at F3 drivers I keep coming here in the hope that one day i'll be linked with the drive! (used to do a bit of karting & will drive for free)
Old 3 Feb 2003, 04:08 (Ref:494519)   #4
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merry go round of speculation...

http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=53818
Old 3 Feb 2003, 04:50 (Ref:494537)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralph Firman is not british f3 (was once, champ). He is Formula Nippon champion and almost 30 I think. HIs dad founded Van Diemen with Marcus Ambrose's dad.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 09:06 (Ref:494605)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I'll believe it when Jordan say it,if you read enough sites theres lots of rumours still....
Old 3 Feb 2003, 09:25 (Ref:494621)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here. If it's true, I'll be very pleased, but still it's a bit of a surprise, I doubt anyone had Firman on their list of drivers who would be racing in F1 this year.

Last edited by cos; 3 Feb 2003 at 09:27.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 09:37 (Ref:494629)   #8
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets wait until its confirmed by EJ. Ralph Firman appears to be a bit of a journeyman... How many years did it take to win F Nippon??

I hope I'm wrong but if its true, it looks like it could be a bleak year for Jordan.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 09:49 (Ref:494635)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coulthard, Button and Wilson drive for Jordan?
That's a new one...

Oh, i get it now.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 3 Feb 2003 at 09:50.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 10:15 (Ref:494643)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jordan are saying nothing is signed with any driver, but negotiations are 'on-going' and they hope to make an announcement this week.....which I seem to remember is a similar statement to last week.

At this rate the announcement will come over the PA system in Melbourne, when the 30 sec board goes up on the grid.....and Jordan's first pit stop will be to put the sponsors stickers on the car.....

Seriously, it seems that there are no other 'major' sponsors for Jordan apart from Ford and B&H, who must be looking on in incredulity at the saga unfolding in front of them.

Even more bizzare is the suggestion that Ford Ireland will back Firman due to his anglo Irish nationality, how tenuous is that? Surely if Ford Ireland were looking for a driver with Irish connections to pin their flag too, they would have insisted on Irvine....

EJ's repuation as the master wheeler dealer is looking a bit frayed, particularly as by his own admission, they knew about DHL/DP's departure last summer. Yet with the cars shortly being loaded up for Melbourne, Jordan still have no confirmed second driver or sponsors.....
Old 3 Feb 2003, 10:48 (Ref:494664)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i hope ej isn't playing this one along for the publicity value...this is now officially TEDIOUS.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 11:23 (Ref:494702)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It does amaze me how sponsers are so reluctant to sign a deal with a team.

If I were a team boss i'd just take the highest offer of what was available.

Take Prost in 2001, what was the point in running with no sponsers at all? Even if a company only gives you bus fare, and a few cans of pop, is that not better than nothing?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 12:02 (Ref:494745)   #13
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Its made it to the BBC now. Aparently his claim to the seat was "buoyed by sponsor interest"

Jordan's vacant Formula One seat is set to be filled by Britain's Ralph Firman. The 27-year-old from Norwich will become the fourth Briton on the F1 grid for 2003.

<b>Firman is having a seat fitting on Monday and will be formally announced on Tuesday as the new team-mate of Giancarlo Fisicella.<b>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/2720251.stm
Old 3 Feb 2003, 12:02 (Ref:494746)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aah... beat me to it, I just spotted the BBC story.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 12:55 (Ref:494798)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Ralph Firman is not british f3 (was once, champ). He is Formula Nippon champion and almost 30 I think. HIs dad founded Van Diemen with Marcus Ambrose's dad.
Actually Ralph Firman is 27.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:02 (Ref:494803)   #16
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What can you say, one shot qualifying now in force and EJ signs a driver with a. No F1 experience and b. Barely any knowledge of tracks outside the UK & Japan....

'Bouyed by sponsor interest' - what the hell does that mean?

OK let's get this straight, EJ biff's out Irvine (which we've debated long and hard already),who would have been an ideal fit with B&H and was the most high profie Irish driver Ford Ireland could have hoped for. Then signs a driver that B&H have probably never heard of, with a highly tenous like to Ford Ireland, who are now supposed (allegedly) to have fallen over themselves to sponsor him...

I've nothing against Ralph, he's got a good junior pedigree and It's good to see another 'Brit' in F1, but I can't believe he's the driver Jordan need in their team right now.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:07 (Ref:494808)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh but he is, ok it took him 6 years to win the title but Nippon is even harder to win than F3000, particulary for a driver whos English moves to Japan and dosent know the language and has to adapt to a new way of life - that all takes time and then theres the fact that the cars werent equal up until this year with some cars being 3 years old compared to some that were brand new and differnt engines etc, it just takes time to work ur way up through to a top team.

As for the sponsor intrest, well Firman is Irish so maybe EJ has a Irish sponsor lined up? Trust me Firman will do a good solid job this year. And I think if the sponsors watch motor racing they will have heard of him, there is a 1hr programme once every 2 weeks which is aired 3 times a week which shows formula Nippon on sky sports.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:34 (Ref:494841)   #18
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just wondering only a couple of days about all these drivers that did quite well mid-nineties and then just disappeared...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:47 (Ref:494855)   #19
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
And I think if the sponsors watch motor racing they will have heard of him, there is a 1hr programme once every 2 weeks which is aired 3 times a week which shows formula Nippon on sky sports.
At a rough guess, I'd say that most sponsors generally don't watch motor racing- (the one thing you DON'T need is a sponsorship deal largely driven by the fact that a senior executive at the company is a motor racing fan- chances are that if he leaves or moves, then his successor will can the deal asap...), and F. Nippon probably has very little interest to sponsors who don't market in Japan.

If this deal has come together for Firman, it's going to be interesting to see who's paying for it....
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:52 (Ref:494862)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've heard it from a reliable source too. Overall it surprised me.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:52 (Ref:494864)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Ralph Firman Snr sold Van Diemen to Panoz recently, maybe he's paying for it?

Last edited by Super Tourer; 3 Feb 2003 at 13:53.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:08 (Ref:494887)   #22
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
Hmmmmmm It seems to be getting clearer, though that doesnt seem to make any more sense. Looks like there was a deal on the table for massa but EJ rejected him in favour of firman, why? the only reason i can think of is money (Duh!).

Bring on team Firman-Jordan-Ford. Maybe EJ sold a little piece to Firman Sr? I think that when the dust has settled it will turn out to be Firmans associates money, than could mean that EJ only needs to find a bit of cream paint for the airbox.

Last edited by bosch!; 3 Feb 2003 at 14:09.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:13 (Ref:494891)   #23
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Actually Ralph Firman is 27.
ie almost 30...
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:38 (Ref:494904)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In general terms, considering the amount of guys barely shavign who are entering F1, 27 is quite near 30. He'd only have 7-10 years at the top, and like McNish would only get one chance to cut the mustard.

2002's rookie field must've been the worst in living memory, adn the same goes for CART. Hopefully promising F3000 guys like Wirdheim and Nyugen can build on their potential.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:07 (Ref:494939)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I alone in saying this....??

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO??????!!!!!!!! :S