Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: What effect will the Brands Hatch changes have on BTCC?
Good, better races 5 16.67%
Bad, racing not as it was 10 33.33%
No noticable difference 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:23 (Ref:515241)   #1
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changes at Brands Hatch

I am interested what other people think about the changes to Brands Hatch. These changes may well be in preparation for the Champ Cars in May. However, what effect will these changes to PaddockHill Bend (and Druids) have on the British Touring Car Championship races in the new format?

Vote if you wish.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:34 (Ref:515265)   #2
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The only TRACK change was at Dingle Dell, and that isnt bein used this year so no porblem or differences. What has the format got to do with it anyway?
Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:41 (Ref:515279)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The only change to Paddock is to tarmac over the gravel trap, it shouldn't change the profile of the corner in any way. It's possible drivers may be more committed knowing they could run wide if necessary without getting beached in the gravel. I assume they will re-intoduce the old rule about running wide - that is you will be black-flaged if you put all 4 wheels over the white line that marks the edge of the track.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:11 (Ref:515410)   #4
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does this mean we'll be seeing the old 'Fina' sponsor on the track again like before the gravel was brought in more? good ole days.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:06 (Ref:515472)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why are they going back to a tarmac run off?
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:515494)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the explanation of what they're doing at Paddock Hill, Redshoes. I'll admit that I've only read little bits of the topic in Trackside rather than all of it, but I hadn't realised there were going to be alterations to Paddock Hill and Druids. What's happening at Druids? Are the Paddock Hill changes in any way connected with the Cart race? I remember reading about the speed they were expecting them to reach the end of the pit straight at, so have they decided a tarmac run off would be better for that reason.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:41 (Ref:515509)   #7
kykiske
Racer

kykiske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Why are they going back to a tarmac run off?
Why?? Because 750BHP ChampCars, running wide and digging into deep unforgiving gravel at 150mph+ with not the largest runoff area around could be very very bad news....

If a serious shunt did happen, Brands might be forced to realign/nullify the corner in order to keep such topline events.

Personally i think its a good move, and ensures that Brands management arent pressured into realigning such a classic corner as paddock should a large shunt occur.

Think Suzuka's 130R, a classic corner nullified after McNish's smash end of 2002 F1 season. The last thing anyone wants is the same to happen at Paddock
Old 23 Feb 2003, 23:49 (Ref:515515)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only the top part of the Paddock gravel has been tarmacced.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 00:19 (Ref:515529)   #9
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you wish to see the changes to Brands visit this link to my website http://clubracing.co.uk/promo.htm

Old 24 Feb 2003, 01:15 (Ref:515560)   #10
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice use of photoworks Pixie on the old paddock bend picture...
Old 24 Feb 2003, 01:21 (Ref:515564)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What on earth have they done to that poor corner?!
Old 24 Feb 2003, 10:42 (Ref:515827)   #12
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I had heard that Druids was being widened into more of a sweeping corner. I understand about the run-off area at Paddock Hill Bend, I wanted to know how it would effect BTCC, Not if it helps Champ Cars. And for the one who said about Dingle Dell, that's on the Grand Prix circuit which they are not using for BTCC this year.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 24 Feb 2003, 10:47 (Ref:515830)   #13
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Adobe Photoshop7 didn't have one from that particular angle, however they are all genuine !
Old 24 Feb 2003, 23:08 (Ref:516642)   #14
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen some photographs of the tarmac area at Paddock Hill Bend (on another forum) my first thought was we wouldnt get showered by gravel as the cars come in towards the arnco!!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:18 (Ref:518281)   #15
Madd_Dogg88
Racer

Madd_Dogg88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't like the new changes. I loved standing by Dingle Dell when the GTs came leaping through. Also, how is Paddock going to be safer now? How many times have I seen cars losing it on just before paddock and ending up in the gravel where there isn't any now. The silly thing is, that's where they're going quickest. Anyway, it might grow on me, I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:46 (Ref:518318)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When BTCC races on the GP track, it will be worse as the best corner is gone.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 14:10 (Ref:518344)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done for the pics pixie.

Red. Nobody could ever convince me that it was quicker going over the kerbs on the outside of the track and yet that's what we got black flagged for.

The removal of the gravel at the top will probably not stop cars rolling in the gravel at the bottom. If you got that far out of shape its usually terminal at Paddock.

Long time since I've driven Dingle Dell but that seems to have returned to its old configuration. I'm talking 70's and 80's here.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 16:58 (Ref:518454)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if you slide on the padock tarmac, when you hit that gravel sudenly you will have more chances of rolling than when it wasn't there!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 18:47 (Ref:518530)   #19
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dingle Dell: improvement. Old corner (post `88) sucked and never really fitted with the rest of the circuit`s flow.

Paddock: Why all the talk? They`ve merely replaced a bit of gravel at the top with a bit of tarmac. I can`t believe it will change commitment levels of drivers. I don`t think anyone would intentionally want to be that wide through the top section of Paddock. May be used as an "escape road" for the late brakers I suppose.

Druids: Thanks btccnews - you`ve made me laugh heartily with your "gentler" Druids!! I can`t quite work out exactly what you mean given that Druids is a 180 degree hairpin? I guess the only way you could flatten out Druids is to do a sharp left on it`s approach and then grrraaadduaallly turn sllooowwwwllly right until you eventually rejoin the old circuit at, say, Langleys Gap (old rallycross circuit talk) part way down Graham Hill. Somehow I think that this is unlikely!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 18:55 (Ref:518535)   #20
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest, whats the *cough* lovely blue hoarding at padock. From what I remember thats new? Thats to stop people viewing at padock ye?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 19:06 (Ref:518550)   #21
Elio
Veteran

There have been other posts in other threads about this one. No its not new. It used to carry FINA logos but has now been (badly) painted over and an Octagon sign added. It is indeed to stop spectators from viewing in that area.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 16:37 (Ref:519409)   #22
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why?
Old 27 Feb 2003, 18:27 (Ref:519520)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Because if a car comes off there it's liable to hit the fence, in fact it has happened one more that one occation. Having spectators there isn't a good idea.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 18:41 (Ref:519540)   #24
Elio
Veteran

I can think of 2 occasions off the top of my head without digging out the Autosports and the MNs!! The Brazilian FVJ driver Daniel Scandian managed to clear the tyre wall there in 1999 if memory serves correct. (He was out of action for some time after that - infact I`ve not heard of him since). Also I remember a Redgrave Racing Van Diemen Formula Renault Car doing the same in the 98 Winter Series.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 18:47 (Ref:519546)   #25
Elio
Veteran

Just dug out the Autosport in fact re the 98 Winter Formula Renault Race. It was Jean De Pourtales who vaulted the tyre wall after getting mixed up with a backmarker. If anyone else has a copy then turn to page 102 of the November 5 issue and you`ll see that panels of wooden fencing were being used then to restrict viewing. De Pourtales landed right in front of that restricted viewing area!!! I think it was this crash that might have triggered the replacement of the wooden fencing with the metal device seen today.

I can`t remember when the restrictions first appeared - probably after the 99 Scandian crash.