Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 3 Nov 2003, 13:01 (Ref:771506)   #76
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be buying one for quite a while (unless I have a very large lottery win - actually, ANY lottery win would be nice) but I was just very interested.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 19:32 (Ref:771962)   #77
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Nikon lenses will fit on all Nikon bodies, however, any of the lenses without the computer chip in them, or any older manual focus lenses will not give all funcions on all bodies.

They will work fine on the pro bodies, however, the N55,65,75,80 and the D100 will not be able to meter with the older lenses. You can use them, they will fit. You can meter with a seperate meter, but you cannot use the internal one.

Although, if you are using anything on your N55, it should work fine on any of the current digital bodies.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 13:55 (Ref:772740)   #78
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
One word of warning though. I'm not sure if this applies to Nikon or not, it certainly does to Canon. The more recent DSLRs use a slightly different connection for the electronics on the lens mount. Older lens will still fit but might not function correctly. There was a thread about this a few months back. Probably more of an issue with older or other brand lenses.

I thought that was just the Sigma lenses which may need to be re-chipped (whatever that means)?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 12:42 (Ref:774758)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK people. I'm now looking semi-seriously at a Canon EOS 10D. The cheapest I've found it is for just under £1100, body-only. (I've seen one used on EBay for £830 but I just don't trust it). A few questions, if I may:-

1. Does anyone know for sure whether my 12 year old EF lenses (proper Canon jobs) will function properly. (If they don't it pretty much scuppers my going digital.....)

2. Can someone help me with these CompactFlash cards? How many pics am I likely to get on, say, a 256meg and 512 meg card respectively? I would like to take shots at a pretty decent resolution.

3. I presume my Cobra Flash which I use with my EOS 100 will not fit the 10D?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:774796)   #80
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know much about 1 and 3. But storage wise 768MB will give you a pretty good days shooting with jpegs. It depends on your compression settings. I usually go for high quality jpegs but a lot of people seem to recommend shooting RAW (uncompressed and un sharpened) files. They allow you to do better post processing - but I think they're about 3 times the size - maybe 9MB instead of 3MB
A good solution would be a digital wallet of some kind. These are a combined notebook hard drive and card reader which will allow you to free up your cards and store upwards of 20GB.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:19 (Ref:774799)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Digital wallet eh Stefan? That's a new term on me. Does that plug into your camera somehow then? I guess that sort of thing is also fairly pricey?
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:40 (Ref:774821)   #82
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not too bad actually. When you think that a large hard drive is about £50 and a card reader £20. I think they'll be around the £150 mark - more if you go for one with a screen.

There are various ones to choose from, this place lists most of the options...

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/x.html

I have a tripper - which I bought as a kit and installed the HD myself. It's usually cheaper that way.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:41 (Ref:774822)   #83
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for that Stefan. I'll check them out.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:47 (Ref:774830)   #84
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Might be worth contacting Canon regarding the lenses. Can't see any reason why the flash shouldn't work, even if only in manual mode.

From the D60 manual
3072x2048 RAW = 7.4Mb
3072x2048 JPG fine = 2.5Mb
3072x2048 JPG normal = 1.3Mb
2048x1360 JPG fine = 1.4Mb
2048x1360 JPG normal = 0.7Mb
1536x1024 JPG fine = 0.9Mb
1536x1024 JPG normal = 0.5Mb

D10 sizes will be roughly the same and JPGs will obviously be an approximate figure anyhow.

I normally use 2048x1360 JPG fine so a 512Mb card will in theory hold 355 images, but have had nearly 450 on it once.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:51 (Ref:774834)   #85
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can't see any reason why the flash shouldn't work, even if only in manual mode.

It would only work in manual - the only compatible flashes are the EX series Canon Speedlights. I think Metz are soon to bring out a digital-dedicated one.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:56 (Ref:774839)   #86
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

I normally use 2048x1360 JPG fine so a 512Mb card will in theory hold 355 images, but have had nearly 450 on it once.

Terrific, that's a great help
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:56 (Ref:774840)   #87
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Apparently the Sigma DG Super does everything the Canon 550 EX does for quite a lot less money.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 13:59 (Ref:774845)   #88
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I don't really want to buy another gun, quite frankly. I only use it very rarely and (as I've posted elsewhere), only to take shots of fencing.......
Old 7 Nov 2003, 21:05 (Ref:776325)   #89
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the present time for al all-around DSLR for motorsports, I can't think of anything better than the Canon EOS-1D. And unlike the D30/60/10D, no shutter lag at all!!! Also, highly water-resistant. I'd say water proof, but Canon doesn't. But, all the buttons and openings, etc, have rubber seals and gaskets. I give it no thought at all to shooting in the rain with it. Yes it's only 4MP and 8fps for 21 shots, but I've yet to have that be a problem.

Are DSLRs better than film SLRs? I'd say yes. Even images with my D30 through a good photo printer on good paper makes you think twice before you turn the photo over looking for the words Kodak....

Granted there are both good and bad things for going digital. One being the initial cost of the set-up. But within less than two years, my 1D has all but paid for itself by not having to pay for film and developing ( to say the least about driving to the store three times for film; buying dropping off for developing and picking up after developing).

So while the still pricey, the 1D just came down to $3000USD.

martin
Old 13 Nov 2003, 18:58 (Ref:782324)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm getting closer to decision-time here.....

I went into my local London Camera Exchange today to have a look at the EOS10D. I didn't want to give it back......

They seem willing to do me a decent price (I've been going there for years), although I reckon I could possibly pick it up for about £100 cheaper on the net, but I'd rather walk out of a real shop with it, to be honest.....

My missus then confided in me that she's been saving a bit to help me buy it for Xmas (she really is thatgorgeous ), so all of a sudden, I have £700 which I didn't have plus another couple of hundred I'd put aside for my 2004 Le Mans "fund"......

On that basis, I reckon I could have the 10D in my sticky paws quite soon.

BTW, I was assured that all Cannon EF lenses will be fully functional with it. Its some Sigma lenses which have problems.

The guy also seemed willing to do a deal on the cards as well......
Old 13 Nov 2003, 19:01 (Ref:782326)   #91
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I forgot to say, the only drawback is that they reckoned on offering me a paltry £80 for my EOS100 body. Apparently they're very hard to shift as most people who'd be interested in such a camera are rading up to digital anyway.......

So I'll probably hang on to it and use it as my second body - albeit with film.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 13:54 (Ref:783218)   #92
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just to say I now have my 10D..........
Old 14 Nov 2003, 14:12 (Ref:783240)   #93
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Nice on Ayse, remember to get some practice in before June...........
Old 14 Nov 2003, 15:56 (Ref:783361)   #94
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations! Let us know how the digital learning process goes, and I look forward to seeing the results about mid-June!
Old 14 Nov 2003, 20:39 (Ref:783603)   #95
Ian_H
Rookie

England
Durham
Ian_H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I'm sure you will enjoy it, I know I like mine

Cheers
Ian
Old 15 Nov 2003, 14:20 (Ref:784296)   #96
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
enjoy Ayse
do look into reliable sources before buying cards, the buffer processing speed of the D10 is alright, slower than some cameras and so a faster card is worth the expense. I'll pm you a source.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 16:19 (Ref:784380)   #97
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I bought one of the new Ultra 2 512 meg cards. The speed is supposed to be between 8-10 Mbs/sec. I've not taken many shots yet (too busy getting things to work*), but the transfer speed seems lightning fast to me........

(*I found a lot of trouble installing the software to my pc. There was a driver conflict. I eventually found it was with my scanner. Still, don't need them both at the same time anyway..... )

It certainly is a beautiful piece of kit.....
Old 15 Nov 2003, 16:54 (Ref:784394)   #98
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
No need to install all that software if you don't want to. Get yourself a USB CompactFlash card reader, stick the card in and copy the files as you need them. Far less hassle than installing yet another TWAIN driver.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 18:45 (Ref:784457)   #99
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse, I would agree with Redshoes, get your a CompactFlash reader, you can pick them up for about £15. Dead easy to use pop the card in and within a few mins you can have your downloaded.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 03:14 (Ref:784763)   #100
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
again, as with all the peripherals with digital, a USB reader is alright, but a firewire reader, or probably in your case (PC I presume) if your computer has a USB 2 connection, I'd really recommend a USB 2 reader, times are as fast or faster than firewire and a 512 card of your speed range should transfer in about 2 mins, versuses at least 4 or 5 times that of a USB 1 reader. Around here, firewire readers are about 80-110$can--35-50pounds? but USB 2 ones are a good deal less.

Oh, and if the price difference isnt too much and even if your pc doesnt have usb2 stuff, it may be worth getting one anyway because it works in usb 1 plugs (at usb1 speed though) BUT if you get a newer machine, at least you won't have to buy another reader.

I know I know, its all a never ending list of more doo-dads to want to buy......