Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3636948)   #726
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The problem with a closed canopy has got to be driver extraction. If Alonso's car had had a full canopy in Melbourne, he'd have been trapped. Now imagine the car catches fire.

I think the Red Bull screen looks a whole lot better than the halo; and 1950s Grand Prix cars had windshields. But the real question is effectiveness.
Hatches. Like LMPs (let's not pretend the LMP1s have proper doors).

Once again, all of these problems have been solved before. Why are we now insisting they are problems again? Are we going to sit and discuss what shape wheels should be? Other series are using round ones, so F1 will have to invent another shape. I vote for hexagon.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3636950)   #727
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The problem with a closed canopy has got to be driver extraction. If Alonso's car had had a full canopy in Melbourne, he'd have been trapped. Now imagine the car catches fire.

I think the Red Bull screen looks a whole lot better than the halo; and 1950s Grand Prix cars had windshields. But the real question is effectiveness.
The ease of driver extraction is paramount, whether the driver is conscious or not. The FIA therefore needs to devise a series of tests, with the various devices to cover both scenarios, using a conscious driver and a rescue dummy.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3636951)   #728
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but surely a fully closed canopy (jet fighter styles) plus the safety cell means the timeliness of extraction becomes less of an issue as the driver is protected within.

rather, isnt the necessity for quick extraction a bigger issue now as their is currently a total lack of protection from fire for example?

anyways im just happy they are moving towards the goal of better protection. for me what is gained in safety far outweighs the need to maintain a sense of visual aesthetic.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3636961)   #729
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
"Now imagine" is the key here. We all can imagine many doomsday scenarios to fit any situation. Imagine Alonso's car being open cockpit (like it is now), but pushed up just a bit closer to the wall in a way that prevents egress due to the proximity of the wall and crash debris... and now on fire. Not inconceivable.

In reality, I believe there have been more risk due to cockpit intrusion than something like fire. Intrusions happen instantaneously and generally can only be prevented by proactive measures, while some of the other things people commonly post here as attempts to shoot down cockpit protection can be addressed by both proactive and reactive measures. For example, fire can use proactive measures such as flame retardant material, onboard fire suppression (or even using the canopy to separate the driver from the fire!) and reactive measure such as trackside fire fighting (marshals and emergency teams).

Richard
Old 28 Apr 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3636962)   #730
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but surely a fully closed canopy (jet fighter styles) plus the safety cell means the timeliness of extraction becomes less of an issue as the driver is protected within.

rather, isnt the necessity for quick extraction a bigger issue now as their is currently a total lack of protection from fire for example?

anyways im just happy they are moving towards the goal of better protection. for me what is gained in safety far outweighs the need to maintain a sense of visual aesthetic.
Despite the safety cell, Alonso still suffered chest injuries, so not necessarily. The most important thing is to get the driver out as quickly as possible, so they can be assessed and extraction of the driver will be impeded if the car has turned over or if there's a similar accident to Bianchi's.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3636970)   #731
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Despite the safety cell, Alonso still suffered chest injuries, so not necessarily. The most important thing is to get the driver out as quickly as possible, so they can be assessed and extraction of the driver will be impeded if the car has turned over or if there's a similar accident to Bianchi's.
true of course. i guess a better question would have been does the additional safety created by a canopy or another form of shield justify the several minutes extra it would take for extraction?

i would think the risk of taking extra time is more than offset by the extra amount of protection.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3636978)   #732
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That RedBull device is hideous though I'm concious of the fact that it's a bolt on piece, developed for a future car I'm sure the lower edge would be smoothed into the lines of the car.
The mere fact that RedBull are using the word Aero in the name of it, I fear speaks more for what it's intended to do, and that is reduce wind buffet on the driver's head and deflect air around the cockpit area...the fact that it would prevent cockpit intrusion from some angles is an excuse to try it out in race (read as one lap) conditions.

I personally still advocate a full blister cockpit canopy, with squib charges running through it that when only arm under certain conditions and then can only be set off by a positive action from either within the cockpit, or by a marshal outside. The canopy shatters leaving the cockpit opening unobstructed for safe egress.

What the RedBull device does show for a full canopy, just how integral in the design it would have to be, with the front of the canopy starting much further forward on the car reducing he angle of screen but still providing clearance above the helmet. It would probably result in a new design of airbox (and roll hoop) given the way air would pass over the canopy surface.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 28 Apr 2016 at 23:30. Reason: replaced much "further down" with "further forward"
Old 28 Apr 2016, 23:16 (Ref:3636979)   #733
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
true of course. i guess a better question would have been does the additional safety created by a canopy or another form of shield justify the several minutes extra it would take for extraction?

i would think the risk of taking extra time is more than offset by the extra amount of protection.
The only way to determine any of this, will be through testing. There is nothing to stop the FIA from proceeding with a testing programme.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3636982)   #734
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Nothing would have saved Bianchi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

What the RedBull device does show for a full canopy, just how integral in the design it would have to be, with the front of the canopy starting much further forward on the car reducing he angle of screen but still providing clearance above the helmet. It would probably result in a new design of airbox (and roll hoop) given the way air would pass over the canopy surface.
So, like this?

Old 28 Apr 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3636983)   #735
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
That RedBull device is hideous though I'm concious of the fact that it's a bolt on piece, developed for a future car I'm sure the lower edge would be smoothed into the lines of the car.
The mere fact that RedBull are using the word Aero in the name of it, I fear speaks more for what it's intended to do, and that is reduce wind buffet on the driver's head and deflect air around the cockpit area...the fact that it would prevent cockpit intrusion from some angles is an excuse to try it out in race (read as one lap) conditions.

I personally still advocate a full blister cockpit canopy, with squib charges running through it that when only arm under certain conditions and then can only be set off by a positive action from either within the cockpit, or by a marshal outside. The canopy shatters leaving the cockpit opening unobstructed for safe egress.

I think that the efforts to integrate a full canopy into the rest of the car would enhance F1.

Still believe that a pneumatic cylinder like the on board air jacks, but under the canopy and facing up could be used to force the canopy off the car and push the car away from an object trapping the driver.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 00:28 (Ref:3636987)   #736
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nothing would have saved Bianchi.
I am quite uncomfortable going here, but it should be noted that Jules was not killed outright, so it would seem that even a relatively small change may have saved his life.
If he was so severely injured by the sudden deceleration against the wall then a canopy would not work, however if the injury was as a result of a glancing blow against his helmet from the rear of the tractor, then a canopy may well have given the margin necessary to save his life.

I don't know which situation is correct, there are a lot of vested interests in pursuing the line that nothing would have saved Jules though.

If anyone has seen any good analysis of the accident and the causes of Jules' injuries I for one would like to hear about it.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 01:24 (Ref:3637000)   #737
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Isn't the most important thing to prevent trauma to the driver in the first place even if it means a small delay in their extraction from the vehicle?

As Akrapovic says, this isn't reinventing the wheel.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 01:24 (Ref:3637001)   #738
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So, like this?

I was thinking just an inch or 2 further towards the front of the car, not something that starts at the suspension struts.

The current car design has a clear zone for the drivers as an imaginary line from the top of the role hoop to a point on the crash structure the drivers helmet can't protrude above. Both this and the Halo are being bolted onto that design.
A full integration of any design, halo, screen or full canopy, would probably require or result in a change to this rule, meaning that perhaps the drivers could ride a little higher, or sit more upright in the cars again, safely ensconced within the canopy.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3637034)   #739
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When was the last time that a car caught fire in a crash? Seriously, I cannot remember and I have been watching since the early 90s. Yes, there were fires, mostly in the pits with extinguishers close by or by engine failure without crash.

I can remember several cockpit intrusions and close calls, though.

This should be considered when debating different risks: probabilities of incident and consequences of incidents.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 07:05 (Ref:3637037)   #740
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If he was so severely injured by the sudden deceleration against the wall then a canopy would not work, however if the injury was as a result of a glancing blow against his helmet from the rear of the tractor, then a canopy may well have given the margin necessary to save his life.
He suffered a diffuse axonal injury. The "glancing" blow at that speed is what killed him. It was significant enough to essentially shear the bulk of his neurons. There was no coming back from that. There is nothing that can be done to heal it. It's impossible to know if the canopy or halo would have had any change.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 29 Apr 2016, 07:14 (Ref:3637039)   #741
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Isn't the most important thing to prevent trauma to the driver in the first place even if it means a small delay in their extraction from the vehicle?
The whole canopy thing is easy to deal with. Mercedes required explosive bolts in the SLS, no reason you can't have a different style, quick release system to remove the canopy as one whole piece.

Having said that... unless the car is on fire, there is no reason to egress with any sort of expediency. And even if it is on fire, how often is it a rolling ball of fire? Almost never.

But, to answer your question that I often teach my students..

"If you want the patient to live, they have to not get killed in the first place"

We have to find a way to prevent the injury from ever occurring.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 29 Apr 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3637090)   #742
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post

As Akrapovic says, this isn't reinventing the wheel.
Indeed it is, hence the various designs and devices that have been proposed. However, once there has been an accident, the most important thing is to get the driver out of the car quickly and safely so they can be assessed.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3637093)   #743
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
He suffered a diffuse axonal injury. The "glancing" blow at that speed is what killed him. It was significant enough to essentially shear the bulk of his neurons. There was no coming back from that. There is nothing that can be done to heal it. It's impossible to know if the canopy or halo would have had any change.
Isn't rapid acceleration or deceleration the major cause diffuse axonal injury and this causes disruption of axons?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3637096)   #744
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
RBR debuted their aeroscreen today during first practice.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124021

Old 29 Apr 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3637112)   #745
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Video of tire and ballistic test of the RBR screen...

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/aeroscreen-time

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3637115)   #746
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Video of tire and ballistic test of the RBR screen...

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/aeroscreen-time

Richard
The first time the tyre is fired, it brushes what is supposed to be the driver's head and leaves tyre marks.

With the ballistics test, I'd like to have seen how the aeroscreen would have dealt with a smaller, sharper object like a metal pole.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3637128)   #747
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The first time the tyre is fired, it brushes what is supposed to be the driver's head and leaves tyre marks.

With the ballistics test, I'd like to have seen how the aeroscreen would have dealt with a smaller, sharper object like a metal pole.
That helmet also is sitting much higher than it does when the driver is actually in the car.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3637129)   #748
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:

I missed that when I watched it the first time. It's not obvious but they show multiple hits in each video. I agree on the smaller ballistics test. But on the positive side at least we are seeing something smaller than a tire being used! With the halo concept, there is a lot of room for an item to fit between the bars. Previously its been a bit of showing how you just can't quite stuff your elbow in your ear.

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3637130)   #749
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
psot FP2 there was an interview with DR where he was asked if the top of the screen would interfere with his ability to see the lights on the start grid.

while he didnt think it would be an issue he admitted that wasnt something he had tried to do.

legitimate question from the reporter or just looking for problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTayiI0bBag
Old 29 Apr 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3637134)   #750
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think it's a legitimate question - this is f1, it's riddled with comedy design/reality interface failure anecdotes

you've got to imagine it's going to get in the way for *someone* on the grid at least, i wonder if we'll end up seeing leds fitted to the inside of them to solve that one.