Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:21 (Ref:1940489)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
A simple animated graph about LH and FA in USA

A very simple animation about the gap between Hamilton and Alonso in Indianapolis. I'm trying to do some graphs about laptimes and gaps, this is just a sample test of it. Maybe it can be developed into something funny

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/672...usalhfasb2.gif
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1940495)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
That's pretty neat. Reminds me of doing Visual Basic in Computing Studies at High School.

Nevermind funny...just focus on making it constructive, informative, and such like.

Sorry if I am being boring, but that is what I think...
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:24 (Ref:1940516)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
something like that:

www.visionf1.com

very interesting.........
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:41 (Ref:1940529)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
now change the dots to be the drivers helmets
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:56 (Ref:1940536)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
something like that:

www.visionf1.com

very interesting.........
Yes, I like it very much. Of course they use a lot of timing data
Quote:
now change the dots to be the drivers helmets
It has potential . Imagine a cartoon type helmet with an angry face for FA, a laughing one for LH, a boring face for Kimi...
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:10 (Ref:1940544)   #6
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice try Schummy. Interesting, helmets not a bad idea.

steve Nielsen, this was more like it. Still a bit basic but hey that’s all it needs to be. Do you know if this is live during the race? Now that would be cool, nice visual teo see where everyone is at instead of just lap time numbers
Old 18 Jun 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1940665)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Do you know if this is live during the race?
At a guess, i'd say no as yesterdays race isn't up there yet, it only covers the first 6 races so far.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1940706)   #8
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
At a guess, i'd say no as yesterdays race isn't up there yet, it only covers the first 6 races so far.
That things great. formula1.com should really approach those guys about creating a live version of that.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1940874)   #9
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Looking at visionf1's replays, I think it is not really "live" in lap times. I think they use lap by lap time to do an interpolation to do an apparent travel through the lap.

Looking at lap 6 in Malaysia (Hamilton-Massa event) you can see Massa doesn't "overtake" or even approach LH in the graph. Kimi "overtakes" Massa in the first corner in the replay, and we know it didn't happen. So they are not representing where the car are within each lap, but inferencing approximately using the timing ant the end of each lap. Another event showing it is Kubica's crash.

I suppose they have a "scheme" of speeds through a standard lap in each track, and then interpolate lap time data. The big work is introducing track layout and speed data. As you can see the layout for Catalunya is the new layout for this season, so they are updated.

The effect is very nice.

However, to follow pure lap time gaps, that graph is not optimal, as the running through the circuit is distracting. Using their data they could, if they want, put a lap by lap animation with nice pics (not as my "primitive" dots ).

I don't know if getting real within-lap timing is difficult,expensive or even not realistically possible, but certainly formula1.com has the potential to do it with FIA-Bernie's strong arm. If you join this kind of data with visionf1's graph you will get a nice live graph (as the graphs I think the teams use in pits). I'd love to have it during the races!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1941002)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
We've had this conversation before.

If memory serves, the representation runs via split-times (transponder related, I think).

Thus, you see the relative speeds "averaged" in the sectors. If there were big accidents, offs, or pitstops, timing errors, or whatever, then it can, and often does, lead to visually inaccurate representations. This is why the speed is constant around the lap (not taking account of corners and stuff - the circuit may as well be visually represented as a circle).

That isn't to say it has no merit. It is a helpful way to get the overall theme of a previous event in a quick fashion.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1941205)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

The speed is obviously NOT constant along the lap, they are mapping the lap time into a a priori scheme of speeds for that particular circuit (at least it is this way in Malaysia, Canada, etc), taking in count hairspins, fast corners, straights,... The effect is a lot nicer than using constant speed.

I don't know it they use split times (sectors) or just lap times. But looking at Kubica's event in Canada, Robert disappears just beginning lap 27, when actually he had his crash in the second part of this lap, so he had at least a split time for the first sector, but apparently they used just his lap time (in the start/finish point).

Pitstops are treated differently, although the cars are not actually static in pits, they are shown moving very slowly in pit lane. Again, it's a clever use of the data they have.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:22 (Ref:1941217)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Oh, they aren't either..they have taken a bit of stepforward since I last saw it. My bad.

Indeed, it is a well put together thing.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:45 (Ref:1941273)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Dutton: From how long are they putting those animations on the web? Perhaps from 2005? (They have 2005 data)
Old 19 Jun 2007, 02:49 (Ref:1941274)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not sure, Schummy. Presumably since 2005 since that is the earliest data they are showing. It was quite a while ago I first came across it, but I would not like to say exactly when.