Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Closed Thread

Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2002571)   #26
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As with most thing relating to Health and Safety, legislation is only usually drawn up after an incident has happened.
Two of the key words in health and safety are monitor and review.
Lets use this incident as a wake up call, learn from it, and thank god that no one was injured.
The idea of a message board to remind drivers to check their helmets and safety harnesses are done up correctly is a good idea.
Maybe the same point could be reinforced at the drivers briefing as well.

Last edited by Spectator; 3 Sep 2007 at 12:57.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 19:45 (Ref:2002954)   #27
bestrep
Rookie

bestrep has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WHAT made it happen!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
I totally agree. It is the drivers responsibility to make sure he is safe. The marshals have enough to do without making sure us numpties are suited and booted correctly. Plus it could be a little bit tome consuming. Thats why I like Hog's idea of a reminder sign at the holding area/dummy grid.

Going back to falcemob's point about driver not knowing how to fasten their helmets. Would the scrutineers be able to check this, and also that they fit correctly. After all they check the car is safe why not the driver also.
For what it is worth here is my point of view!!.
As a guardian I would (and have) made sure that a junior that is MY responsibility knows how to fasten his helmet, also he would never be allowed to leave the paddock area without his helmet and belts being checked by me. Afterall I am his GUARDIAN!!.
What I dont understand however is how did it happen? why did it, in a very unusual place,what was the cause?!!.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 20:08 (Ref:2002977)   #28
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I found this Incident rather Scary Hopefully just a one off!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 08:21 (Ref:2004932)   #29
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any way back to the accident, At least every one is ok, the only thing that is damaged is a piece of metal, I suppose an estimated 5g Impact has proved the strength of these little Junior cars, and parents should not be scared of putting the kids in them.

And on the actual incident itself having dealt with the individuals involved and in the past having to check Matthew at request of his team, Im sure they would have made sure all his safety equipment was the right size, fitted correctly and done up adequately.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2005021)   #30
RX demon
Rookie

RX demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if i had a junior i for sure wouldnt let him/he race with a paper thin rollcage what was used it said car!!!!
Did any of you guys take a look?
Cage broke in the same place on both sides level with the bottom of the windscreen!
To my mind i think there should be tests to cages to see if they are constructed properly and of the correct steel!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:17 (Ref:2005035)   #31
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right thread closed. It has run it's course.
There have been some valied points made which I'm sure drivers and organisers will take on board.

We are not going off on a tangent talking about roll cages.
However, I will say this. The roll cage is designed to protect the driver in the event of a crash. The important thing is that the driver gets out relatively unscathed, not what the roll cage looks like after the incident.
There have been many occasions over the years where cage's have buckled and broken in big accidents, but during the accident they have protected the driver, more than adequately.
Obviously the roll cage in the Nesbitt Mini did it's job.