Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Apr 2003, 12:52 (Ref:568108)   #1
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VSCC Silverstone

I enjoyed a good day's racing at the VSCCs Silverstone meeting yesterday. Personal highlights included Julian
Majzub's great drive to victory in the Italia and Lanchester Trophy race (in the Pacey Hassan) and Mark Gillies pedallling a 300S faster than I have seen one go for some time.

Despite the fun, the day was darkened somewhat by the accident that befell the new (and only) Invicta course car out of Bridge corner. Did anyone else see tha accident and, more importantly, does anyone know the condition of the occupants?
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:50 (Ref:568386)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, we were there. Nice to say Hi to TimD, see Ferret Walker hard at work etc. What a great meeting. Accosted a few Bugatti drivers and enquired whether they were 'eclectic' but none of them were.
Thought it a shame to see them cleaning up millions of pounds worth of Testarosa after it had been in the kitty litter.
Saw the Invicta shunt from the Clubhouse and the occupants must have been seriously shaken up. Over did it out of Bridge and into the wall. Didn't see any ambulances going to hospital so guess that there weren't serious injuries but stress this is a suposition. But the car was a real mess, major chunks missing.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 19:47 (Ref:568426)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did manage to find 'eclectic' and say 'hi'! He was in events 6 and 9and he told us that he only ever used 3rd gear as the car was so capable on the circuit with it.

Thought the Testa Rossa was fab in the race - very sideways out of Luffield on a number of occasions!

The Invicta was a mess - I saw it on the motorway on the way home. It had no left-hand front side, as well as a smashed rear end. One occupant got out quickly, but the other (the driver presumably) seemed to need a lot more assistance. Certainly hope that you're right and he's OK.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 08:57 (Ref:568846)   #4
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good days racing - but sadly I missed the 'great drive' by Julian Majzub as I was up in race control following the Invicta's sad demise. As the observer at Bridge you can well imagine that I had quite a bit of writing to do - I don't want to get into the possible cause of the resulting impact as I suspect the MSA will be inquiring further. As for the occupants - the passenger was shaken (but not stirred) whilst the driver was less fortunate and was transferred from the medical centre to hospital - I expect that the VSCC office will have the latest details of his condition.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:47 (Ref:569881)   #5
krt917
Veteran

Thanks vey much Paul.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:07 (Ref:570330)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, a good day with dices all down the field in some of the races. Just to confirm, Eclectic was driving the white Bugatti type 44, carrying race no.165. As KRT917 says, we met up with him and wished him well. Might see if I can capture a picture of him in action off my camcorder and post it up here, if I can work out how to do it!

I saw most of the accident to the Invicta and my impression was that it was carrying too much speed through Bridge. A pretty big double impact ensued. I do hope the driver is going to be O.K.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:08 (Ref:570464)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your support all of you. Yes, I had a good day marred somewhat by an MSA jobsworth but I would be a fool not to ignore that! I hope the VSCC learns that modern cars are not elibible, cause too much trouble, and should not be used as Course Cars! I trust the driver makes a swift recovery and the company that makes the Invicta hasn't suffered a terminal blow.
I drove as fast as I could and forgot that my brakes had faded somewhat on my last entry to Abbey, I had to take to the grass and let the blown Alfa 1750 and four other cars past... Its a shame that a lightly tuned 3 litre Bugatti can be trounced by an Austin 7 special these days, Ouch. No fool like an old fool.

Last edited by eclectic; 15 Apr 2003 at 20:11.

Steve McQueen.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 01:01 (Ref:570670)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eek! soundslike there was a big prang! I want to make it along to one of these meetings this year, if only to say hello!
Old 17 Apr 2003, 18:21 (Ref:572320)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport is reporting Invicta driver Colin Prest as sustaining a fractured vertebra. Very nasty, if you're reading this Colin, get well soon.

The car is scarcely important in comparison, but I gather it's gone for good.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 18:34 (Ref:572344)   #10
krt917
Veteran

Am very sorry to hear that. I wish Colin all the best.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 08:04 (Ref:572870)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Likewise, I hope Colin makes a swift and full recovery.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!