Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 May 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4112108)   #176
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, good luck both. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 05:16 (Ref:4112335)   #177
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you.... looking forward to it, though pretty nervous. I did enjoy the track day there last week with MG David eventually

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jul 2022, 10:20 (Ref:4119709)   #178
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gilbert spotted at Combe. Might even be able to post a heat haze riddled picture later in the week. Good luck to you both.
Old 17 Jul 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4119710)   #179
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can give you a paddock shot from David's FB

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jul 2022, 18:01 (Ref:4119727)   #180
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Watched Gilbert racing on the CSCC livestream on Youtube Serious pace difference in the Verum Builders Open Race, but two finishes achieved!
Old 17 Jul 2022, 18:44 (Ref:4119732)   #181
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff
Old 19 Jul 2022, 20:07 (Ref:4119904)   #182
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pictues taken during the morning qualifying:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0150.jpg   IMG_0180.jpg   IMG_0207.jpg  

IMG_0632.jpg   IMG_0551.jpg   IMG_0649.jpg  

Old 23 Jul 2022, 19:23 (Ref:4120272)   #183
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That seems to be how it is at the moment, getting used to them whizzing by

Old 24 Jul 2022, 07:05 (Ref:4120316)   #184
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't matter Mary, it's a rare and classy thing and a constant reminder of Mike. It's a winner wherever it finishes. Just enjoy it.

Great set of shots, Brands.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Jul 2022, 20:50 (Ref:4120407)   #185
Mary Bell
Rookie

Thanks John.

They are great pictures Brands, pleased I gave Gilbert a polish!

Old 25 Jul 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4120444)   #186
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm tidying up the hard drive on my laptop and found this from the 6hrs last year. The tyre let go just as I turned through Eau Rouge so I had a very sloooow drive back to the pits where the team went into "McLaren Mode" and turned me round pretty quickly. Don't know who took the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
244675492_4333138296731716_995904889332003947_n.jpg  
Old 25 Jul 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4120447)   #187
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The tyre let go just as I turned through Eau Rouge so I had a very sloooow drive back to the pits where the team went into "McLaren Mode" and turned me round pretty quickly.
What about 2.7 seconds or 2.7 minutes or ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Jul 2022, 11:21 (Ref:4120450)   #188
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Skilled driver at Spa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbZWSt_vPQ
Old 25 Jul 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4120455)   #189
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Old 25 Jul 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4120456)   #190
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
What about 2.7 seconds or 2.7 minutes or ?
Well it went up to 2:42.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 09:37 (Ref:4120825)   #191
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just seen this thread after a time away.. What a fantastic sight to see Mikes car back out and what a legacy. Mary. Hats off to you. Brilliant to see and enjoy the racing buzz
Old 21 Nov 2022, 08:29 (Ref:4134430)   #192
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An item about Gilberns on the Roadbook Facebook page for those of you with access, including some photos of Gilbert at Spa:

https://www.facebook.com/roadbookevents
Old 23 Nov 2022, 02:46 (Ref:4134563)   #193
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
An item about Gilberns on the Roadbook Facebook page for those of you with access, including some photos of Gilbert at Spa:

https://www.facebook.com/roadbookevents
Good stuff, thanks for the link.... surprised as I dont / never have had a facebook membership, but no troubles getting access on that link. Such a pretty car.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 08:18 (Ref:4134580)   #194
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Good stuff, thanks for the link.... surprised as I dont / never have had a facebook membership, but no troubles getting access on that link. Such a pretty car.

Chris, Facebook can be a funny old place. There are a number of different types of Facebook sites that can be created, such as one that only members can see anything, along to ones that are open to view by just about anyone but you are required to be invited to join to see some content and/or add your own comments. And then there are those that are totally open to the great unwashed who can post content and comments without having any Facebook presence.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 16:30 (Ref:4134640)   #195
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only yesterday I was flicking through a 1965 copy of Autosport when I happened upon a report of the Whitsun race meeting at Llandow.

The race for marque sports cars featured a "fearsome red Gilbern-Chevrolet" driven by one Ken Wilson. He led the race in the early stages too, but ultimately spun out in the very wet conditions (it was a Bank Holiday...) and failed to restart the car.

I know nothing about the car or driver but apparently it eventually passed into the hands of well-known Gilbern dealer Ace Motor Co in Kensington & was even used on the road. Aside from flared arches & rather large rear wheels the car looked very standard.

Perhaps it is a conversion Delta should consider in order to take on those GT40's!
Old 23 Nov 2022, 19:16 (Ref:4134645)   #196
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Only yesterday I was flicking through a 1965 copy of Autosport when I happened upon a report of the Whitsun race meeting at Llandow.

The race for marque sports cars featured a "fearsome red Gilbern-Chevrolet" driven by one Ken Wilson. He led the race in the early stages too, but ultimately spun out in the very wet conditions (it was a Bank Holiday...) and failed to restart the car.

I know nothing about the car or driver but apparently it eventually passed into the hands of well-known Gilbern dealer Ace Motor Co in Kensington & was even used on the road. Aside from flared arches & rather large rear wheels the car looked very standard.

Perhaps it is a conversion Delta should consider in order to take on those GT40's!
Oddly enough I was reading an article about Gilbern History on the Welsh Museum website (as you do).... it mentioned that very car (apparently had a Jaguar rear suspension as well). Actually Gilbert also appears in a couple of photos in the article.
Link follows:https://museum.wales/articles/2045/T...-be-a-one-off/

The Wilson car is mentioned in more detail here on the Gilbern OC History page.... scroll down to the bit about cars on the racing scene. http://gilbern.co.uk/a-brief-history...bern-cars-ltd/

Last edited by E.B; 23 Nov 2022 at 19:39.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 21:19 (Ref:4134658)   #197
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a history of Gilbern book in which it is mentioned several times - I really must read the book!

I got to learn a bit about Gilbern as a friend of mine who lives not too far from Mike's old abode in Norfolk has four, including a GT & a rather nice Invader Estate. That's one we forgot when talking about estate cars the other week!
Old 8 Jan 2023, 15:45 (Ref:4139249)   #198
MikeL
Rookie

MikeL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Oddly enough I was reading an article about Gilbern History on the Welsh Museum website (as you do).... it mentioned that very car (apparently had a Jaguar rear suspension as well). Actually Gilbert also appears in a couple of photos in the article.
Link follows:https://museum.wales/articles/2045/T...-be-a-one-off/

The Wilson car is mentioned in more detail here on the Gilbern OC History page.... scroll down to the bit about cars on the racing scene. http://gilbern.co.uk/a-brief-history...bern-cars-ltd/
I now own the ex Ken Wilson Chevy GT. I will be restoring it this year to have it on the track spring 24.
Old 9 Jan 2023, 19:10 (Ref:4139420)   #199
MikeL
Rookie

MikeL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently purchased the Ken Wilson Chevy GT. It needs full restoration and I should have it race-ready spring 2024.
Old 16 Jan 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4140293)   #200
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome to MikeL who some of you will know from HSCC and HRDC events (among others).