Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Jun 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4160091)   #2851
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well done, Graham.
+ 1
Old 5 Jun 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4160116)   #2852
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great result Graham.

Best of luck at Loton. I also used to love running there. Well worth the fairly long trip from darn Sarf in Surrey.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4160223)   #2853
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you!
I've been a big part of Hagley and District Light Car club for nearly 28 years as part of the Committee and as a competitor, it will have changed little since you were there, but the facility is much improved for the competitor especially.

Only Mike in the Zolfe GT and me in the class, and just 4 in the under 2 litre class.

My goal will be to beat the lot of 'em!

That may be a bit ambitious as the under 2 litre boys are pdq.

The routine clean up of the car on Monday was done and I checked the fuel filter for the tank debris, but not much there, so resigned to cleaning it all until the winter when I may fit a new tank if I can get the old one out...

Picture here of the T492 under construction in 1978 here, the tank is built into the car so no easy way to get it out.

Have been sent a nice shot of the car arriving at the top holding paddock at Shelsley last Saturday taken by Rob Macdonald.

http://lolaheritage.co.uk/2018/type_.../images/03.jpg
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:20 (Ref:4160228)   #2854
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you cant remove the actual tank is it possible to use it as a cell? And slide a soft one inside. If not, vaccum cleaning could be your friend but must be carefully done! The pic is really wonderful. Go on like that and make us dream. Thanks!
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:43 (Ref:4160235)   #2855
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If you cant remove the actual tank is it possible to use it as a cell? And slide a soft one inside. If not, vaccum cleaning could be your friend but must be carefully done! The pic is really wonderful. Go on like that and make us dream. Thanks!
Not a bad idea if it's possible, it might not be so easy to move. Do they use special vaccum cleaners for race cars? Or will just a normal do? Just curious

It's nice to see the car still doing good, it's been in safe hands this whole time
Old 6 Jun 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4160247)   #2856
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the tank was made by Flexsafe and could be a 'bag' tanks, not sure.

If i remove the foam blocks (cut and remove chunks etc) I will need to refill with more foam as I dount it has metal baffles inside, the foam does that job, so would be back to square one. Best I think is to remove if i can and replace with a new 2 gallon tank with internal baffles.
Best left to the winter!

Safe Hands is one way, more like Too Careful hands; needs to be driven harder.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 17:11 (Ref:4160256)   #2857
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From Aeroflow Performance website, about foam: Must be changed seasonally. You're not alone: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...m/89632/page1/
Old 7 Jun 2023, 07:51 (Ref:4160341)   #2858
911thillclimber
Veteran

I wonder how they removed the old foam and added new unless there is a removale cover with the bag out of the car.
Old 7 Jun 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4160474)   #2859
911thillclimber
Veteran

https://postimg.cc/21x4WtcB

A restored T492 from the USA, a car built a few months before mine. Clearly the cell comes out of the car with the bulkhead panel removed (it was designed to be moved, mine is rivited in).

I have another plan to sort out the debris getting to the filter.
Old 7 Jun 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4160481)   #2860
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With my old Aquila S2000 we had to strip the rear frame off and drill out the rivers on the back if the monocoque to access the fuel tank. Easy for a competent mechanic, hard work for an idiot like me

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jun 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4160568)   #2861
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
I have another plan to sort out the debris getting to the filter.
Like? Turn the car upside down and shake it?

Max, they make air riveters now… Good if you're super goofy.
Old 7 Jun 2023, 21:36 (Ref:4160611)   #2862
911thillclimber
Veteran

Found some old construction pictures at last and there is a clear pic or 2 of the neck of the tank welded to the top of the tank, so no bag/soft tank!
Old 8 Jun 2023, 06:35 (Ref:4160645)   #2863
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
In this case not an easy task to remove the foam blocks then, unless you use tweezers. Good job for winter time. Mind you that even when new, the foam tends to send some debris to the fuel system, hence the importance of a good fuel filter checked on a regular basis.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 07:45 (Ref:4160653)   #2864
911thillclimber
Veteran

Indeed, and it is my clumsy poking of the tank (and foam) checking the fuel I have in the car before each run (it sure is a gas-guzzler).

I have the idea to insert an alum tube down into the tank from the neck with lots of holes along it's length and once fitted to poke the dip stick down into the tube to the bottom. this will stop me breaking off bits of foam that get into the outlet.

Then to simply keep cleaning the filter after each event.
Maybe some petrol joint breakers either side of the filter will be a good idea too.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 08:53 (Ref:4160661)   #2865
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Petrol joint breakers, or a second in line filter? Both solutions add possible leaks origins… The alum tube to protect the dip stick seems a good idea, will improve things when the debris caused by inserting it will be cleared. How are the strainers inside the carbs?
Old 8 Jun 2023, 09:14 (Ref:4160664)   #2866
911thillclimber
Veteran

Not sure the USA designed PMO carbs have strainers, the Webers do though.
Good idea to take a look though but after Loton hillclimb!
Old 8 Jun 2023, 17:14 (Ref:4160765)   #2867
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I always remove the ones from Webers and use a filter meant for injected engines. Not transparent tho…

Have fun at Loton, be safe, be good, beat them all!
Old 8 Jun 2023, 17:48 (Ref:4160778)   #2868
911thillclimber
Veteran

Loton is shaping up to be 'one-of-those-weekends.

Just 2 in the class as usual, Mike/ Zolfe GT and me.

If I win I gain 8 points, if I loose I gain 4 points.

Saturday looks a bit iffy weather wise, Sunday looks sure to be wet.

If wet, the Zolfe will beat me, my slicks v his wet slicks, but Loton is shrouded by hills and things, and the weather can pass by or stop and dump everything!

After last Shelsley Walsh my points are 26, Mike is on 5.

Every point counts every time, so need to deliver!
Old 8 Jun 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4160789)   #2869
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As predicted just now, it looks to be dry for you for both days, Graham. Of course it could all change, however. Whatever, wish you good luck.
Old 10 Jun 2023, 16:51 (Ref:4161627)   #2870
911thillclimber
Veteran

Hot, hot, hotter.
Saturday practice sure was hot, but the rain has only just hit here at home, so dry runs all day, 3 practice runs in all.

Car ran a dream, nothing in the fuel filter at the end of the day, but I don't like this heat, 25.5 deg C.

PB at Loton is 54.98 sec
Clocked only 60.39 (fluffed gear change 2 times), 57.95 and then 58.i5, this last run was a start of 2.09, nearly 1G.

Mike suffered too.67/65/68.

If Sunday is dry I should bag both runs for max points, but not at all sure.
If it rains, Mike could win!
Old 11 Jun 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4163234)   #2871
911thillclimber
Veteran

Busy Sunday at Loton Park hillclimb near Wales.

Practice and 2 timed runs at hand which started well, but Mike's engine had a real ignition problem, possibly coil packs and his day was run.
Thus I became the lone runner in the class, and 1 point for each run as long as i got to the top!

Temperature was a little cooler but still hot and humid, but the rain never arrived so good.

Nowhere near my PB which many others suffered too.
No trophies to bring home but the car ran great, is in one piece and not too dirty for tomorrow's clean up.

Long lull before the next meeting at Prescott on 23rd July, so hope to do some road trips and some classic car stuff till then.

Thought you might like to see the score card for the weekend and a bit of the live stream of the car too:

https://youtu.be/rRFctRiaLHE?t=19012

keyboard checker tool

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 11 Jun 2023 at 16:54.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4163373)   #2872
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Glad you had a fun weekend. Shame you never got a chance of a proper head to head, you could have beaten Mike with the pace you were running, but hey you have to be in it to win it. I bet the spectators enjoyed the weather. Shame you've got a bit of a wait for the next one, but you should be keeping busy no doubt. Thanks for the video and data, the latter makes for juicy reading
Old 9 Jul 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4167583)   #2873
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ready for Prescott? PMO's cleaned? Go!
Old 10 Jul 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4167726)   #2874
911thillclimber
Veteran

Car is all clean and ready, the carb filter squeeky-clean.
However, had no finals yet so not sure if I'm in yet.
I know Mike has been tempted to a meeting at Shelsley to drive a well got at BMW 2002 so there is a danger of being a very small class.
That is the Sunday, but also entered for the one day Clubbie at Prescott, so will have had LOTS of practice runs for sunday!

They may amalgamate the under and over 2 litre car classes.
That can be embarrassing as most of the tidlers are faster than me...

upload image forum
Old 11 Jul 2023, 06:35 (Ref:4167849)   #2875
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I see. Not always good for everyone when two different classes are merged not evrybody can be satisfied. Go weel, be safe.