Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4168941)   #1151
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
/And then told that it was a very expensive extra that was only fitted at the factory if ordered.
Yes it was expensive and any retofit idea is a bad one, given the changes you have to make. Do you remember that the rear passenger had to travel in a perpendicular to the road position? Two thin cushions for the back and feet in a basin! I remember road testing an italian 190 SL (a Merc hard to be appreciated…) with a photographer in this position… He was not too happy.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:17 (Ref:4168943)   #1152
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Just out of my curiosity, Mike, was it a roadster with the dedicated hardtop or a Gullwing?
As to the transverse rear seat, to my knowledge only the wonderful Datsun roadster could have one when ordered from factory. This changes th papers a two seater becoming a 3 seats passenger car.

Last edited by Gerard C; 18 Jul 2023 at 18:32.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:43 (Ref:4168945)   #1153
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gérard, it was a roadster with the detachable top, just like my Stag except that came with fairly comfortable seats suitable for children, like my twin boys. And that is why my father was disappointed about the lack of seats because he wanted to be able to drive them about. So, like you said, he just had to buy some cushions for them to sit on and rest their backs against.

As he said, a far, far cheaper option and probably just as or even more comfortable for the short journeys that he used to take.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4168947)   #1154
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do you remember that the chassis tubbing could be seen under the dash when sitted at front? And the angle of the engine sitting in its bay! What a car. And the detachable top had a unique design. White body, black top, perfect match. I must recognize, and its a pleasure, that your Dad had a very good taste.
Old 18 Jul 2023, 19:25 (Ref:4168951)   #1155
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Do you remember that the chassis tubbing could be seen under the dash when sitted at front? And the angle of the engine sitting in its bay! What a car. And the detachable top had a unique design. White body, black top, perfect match. I must recognize, and its a pleasure, that your Dad had a very good taste.

His was all black, and I don't recall about the chassis. The only reason he ordered on is because one of my cousins used to buy a new one every year, and my father thought that he was being very trendy and "down with the kids" by having one. He had the car for about 16 years , had only done about 20,000 miles in that time, and the roof had never once been taken off - an absolute travesty.

When I was a very, very young child, I had apparently said that I wanted his car, whatever that was 70 odd years ago. And in his will, the only thing that he left me was the car that he was using at the time of his death. So, in 2003 I inherited the Merc, and apart from having it given a full service, I actually removed the top and then drove the car down to Spain with the top taken down by a delivery service.

It was said of those cars that they were Madams' cars; it was rumoured that most of them in Germany were bought by ladies of ill repute. In the UK, most were used by female hairdressers, or so I believe.

It was a nice tourer but not exactly a sporty type car, unlike the Stag. It was a pleasure on the way down to Spain and no long before I came back to the UK, someone made me such a ridiculous offer to buy it that I just couldn't refuse. I hope he was happy with it.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 06:37 (Ref:4168981)   #1156
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
It was said of those cars that they were Madams' cars; it was rumoured that most of them in Germany were bought by ladies of ill repute. In the UK, most were used by female hairdressers, or so I believe.
Hope my answer will not be a complete OT but any mod can delete it, so feel free to. Thanks.

Madam's car was more likely said about the 190 SL with its dodgy carbs and bag of nails sounding engine I think. I once had the opportunity to visit in Germany a poor hut which lately became the official Merc classic cars dept, now called Merceds-Benz Heritage. At that time, a very clever man was sourcing and buying used hardtops from all over Europ for cheapo. Very wise because few years after those sought after elements reached insane levels of money!
Old 23 Jul 2023, 21:36 (Ref:4169624)   #1157
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst at Knockhill's TCR-UK meeting today, would have been rude not to take a pic or 3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	77621. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	77622. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	77623

And then as luck would have it saw it on the way home too

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	77624
Old 24 Jul 2023, 00:18 (Ref:4169634)   #1158
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you follow it home?

Nice. I saw some proper trucks at a cones and coffee yesterday. Photos on my phone not this. I’ll post…
Old 24 Jul 2023, 01:36 (Ref:4169639)   #1159
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1 Brit and 3 Americans.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9811.jpeg   IMG_9830.jpeg   IMG_9813.jpeg  

IMG_9831.jpeg  
Old 24 Jul 2023, 02:07 (Ref:4169640)   #1160
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I like the semi Semi.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 07:24 (Ref:4169650)   #1161
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I like the semi Semi.
Dont drink and drive result! If the Chevy is as I think an Apache, we had only two may be three here.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 14:41 (Ref:4169723)   #1162
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it appears it's truck day today so

Ok, not nearly as nice condition as the others but still running
Old 24 Jul 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4169728)   #1163
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Wow. Stealth truck!
Old 24 Jul 2023, 16:30 (Ref:4169751)   #1164
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Truck!
Attached Thumbnails
029_SR2023.jpg  
Old 24 Jul 2023, 17:10 (Ref:4169756)   #1165
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gosh, a Studebaker! Orange painting would suggest its meant for karting. Max?
Old 25 Jul 2023, 00:21 (Ref:4169826)   #1166
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Truck!
Nice! You can take the truck out of America, but you can’t take the American out of the truck.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 01:42 (Ref:4169828)   #1167
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Next year’s cars and cones:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9810.jpeg   IMG_9809.jpeg   IMG_9825.jpeg  

IMG_9827.jpeg   IMG_9826.jpeg  
Old 25 Jul 2023, 01:50 (Ref:4169829)   #1168
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice Peugeot collection there
Old 25 Jul 2023, 02:14 (Ref:4169832)   #1169
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ha!

And handbrake pads from an old XJ. I knew someone with one and had the pads kicking around the garage for some reason.

Actually one of these sounded more V8, but I never got chance to find out. Maybe I imagined it.

Fun fact. While quickly looking to see if V8 conversions were a thing I read that in the film they used the sound of a Porsche 928!
Old 25 Jul 2023, 02:46 (Ref:4169836)   #1170
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Talking of different engines. 400+ hp in that Morgan and Camaro rear end.

The Merc(edes) is a diesel.

The ‘90s Mustang had some track day 888s on the back on not so sticky tires on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9815.jpeg   IMG_9814.jpeg   IMG_9819.jpeg  

IMG_9833.jpeg   IMG_9824.jpeg   IMG_9828.jpeg  

Old 25 Jul 2023, 07:11 (Ref:4169842)   #1171
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Nice Peugeot collection there
Works with Volvo and Renault too. It seems that the best world-wide DMC cars specialists reside in the US. Funnily enough, can be said about what could have been the best french GT of its era if not more, the Citroën SM (last being for Maserati engine). https://eurosmclub.net/sm-world-sylvia-jerry-hathaway It has been displayed during our national annual classic car fair (Paris of France not Texas' one).
Old 25 Jul 2023, 08:10 (Ref:4169848)   #1172
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Talking of different engines. 400+ hp in that Morgan and Camaro rear end.

The Merc(edes) is a diesel.

The ‘90s Mustang had some track day 888s on the back on not so sticky tires on the front.
The 90's Mustang is an abomination in any form but that is a truly hideous example Got to be the worst Mustang model surely? (Possibly even including the naming travesty that is the Mach-e)
Old 25 Jul 2023, 08:25 (Ref:4169852)   #1173
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Daimler Super V8. Hmm, don't know why that happened.
Attached Thumbnails
20230724_135220.jpg  
Old 25 Jul 2023, 08:53 (Ref:4169854)   #1174
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Daimler Super V8. Hmm, don't know why that happened.
Portrait images when shown as a thumbnail rotate to landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
20230724_135220.jpg  
Old 25 Jul 2023, 08:56 (Ref:4169856)   #1175
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I love this car and find the match Cardinal Red/Magnolia interior trim perfect.