Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Aug 2023, 05:45 (Ref:4173183)   #176
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Thats great.

I thought the GT series would have been next after supercars
It’d be a sad day in Australian Motorsport if a series that actively limits professionalism in the category is the second best series in Australia. The whole thing is geared around the amateurs
Old 18 Aug 2023, 10:46 (Ref:4173202)   #177
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thats great.

I thought the GT series would have been next after supercars
GTs share billing with both TCR and Supercars.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4173235)   #178
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
GTs share billing with both TCR and Supercars.
GTs work fine as a headline and a support act
Old 25 Aug 2023, 06:12 (Ref:4173876)   #179
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
is this even watchable now?

Who watches it ?
Honestly, it's getting to be a struggle.

I piggyback onto a mates stan account and throw him the extra cash for the Sport option but with only 13 cars on the TCR Grid it's not looking good. The racing just isn't exciting, it's far too processional or spaced out, no-one's having a go.

I really want it to be good but it's just...meh.
Old 9 Sep 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4175792)   #180
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What weights will the internationals run at for SMP and Bathurst?
Old 9 Sep 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4175801)   #181
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like it will be an intra-team battle between the Hyundais for the driver's title! Sweeney and Buchan.

The BOP seems to be working well at keeping the older i30 hatch competitive with the newer Elantra N/i30 sedan.
Old 12 Sep 2023, 03:25 (Ref:4176395)   #182
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mr Curkpatrick is outa there.

Seems likely to me that what ARG present in addition to TCR could be quite different next year.
Old 12 Sep 2023, 03:38 (Ref:4176399)   #183
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah there is a... pattern there
Old 12 Sep 2023, 07:30 (Ref:4176409)   #184
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last person out, please switch off the lights..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Sep 2023, 07:37 (Ref:4176411)   #185
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The question I have is whether McMellan and co actually ended up ahead after they bought up everything, flogged it to Stan and then buggered off with the money.

I suspect they may not have but $20m goes a long way.

Competitors now left to pick up the pieces.
Old 29 Sep 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4178744)   #186
Mixer
Veteran

So ARG has sold their 50% stake in Australian GT to SRO...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/09/25...nership-group/

Does anybody else think that could place TCR on the block as ARG tries to stem the bleeding and that Lotti might just take it over?
Old 29 Sep 2023, 21:15 (Ref:4178811)   #187
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So ARG has sold their 50% stake in Australian GT to SRO...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/09/25...nership-group/

Does anybody else think that could place TCR on the block as ARG tries to stem the bleeding and that Lotti might just take it over?
Who would buy it?
And all the chassis they own…
Old 29 Sep 2023, 23:56 (Ref:4178824)   #188
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Who would buy it?
And all the chassis they own…
Can't see anyone in their right mind looking to buy any of it but I CAN see Motorsport Australia trying to run it for the health of the sport overall.

No question in my mind that Covid really hurt ARG but the model was flawed to begin with and it's hard to see how any of it is recoverable now, unless a benevolent benefactor suddenly appears.

Certainly hope that TCM survives and may start to thrive again (although work is needed to reign in costs there) and this would be a good opportunity for the two TA2 Series in the country to combine.

So what would be left for Motorsport Australia to run? Maybe TCR but hard to see it standing on its own - maybe combine with another class; maybe TCM; maybe TA2 but they might all go and play with AASA where the other series runs; doubt S5000 will last much longer.
Old 30 Sep 2023, 08:24 (Ref:4178849)   #189
one five five
Veteran

From my point of view ARG are just down-sizing and cutting off anything unrelated to GRM.

Given their work with Peugeot for the hybrid car I see ARG hanging on to category management there, same with Trans-Am, and those categories get run on the MA/SpeedSeries calendar.

Didn’t CAMS originally do the TCR rights deal with Lotti? ARG then leased the category management rights for a certain period of time?

Questions for me are:

What happens to TCM?
What interest does James Warburton still have in ARG?
Do MA or any other promoter want to run the Bathurst 6hr? (assuming ARG still wants to own the International….if not, does MA want to run it?)
Old 9 Oct 2023, 13:49 (Ref:4180689)   #190
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
From my point of view ARG are just down-sizing and cutting off anything unrelated to GRM.

Given their work with Peugeot for the hybrid car I see ARG hanging on to category management there.
These two points alone. I suspect a 'Speed Series' going forward, will consist of TCR, TA2, and S5000, coupled with local blow-in support catagories.

On another note, I'm yet to see any meaningful Cupra branding on the Clemente equip, to go with their "support".
Old 9 Oct 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4180742)   #191
one five five
Veteran

Onto the next Bathurst (and SMP)

Are we assuming it’ll be a 23 or 24 car grid? (13-14 regulars plus 9/10 World Tour entries depending if the second Honda alongside Girolami comes)?

On that, is the new D’Alberto Honda just the second World Tour Honda?

Quote:

On another note, I'm yet to see any meaningful Cupra branding on the Clemente equip, to go with their "support".
The biggest branding on there is “Carl Cox Motorsport” , I hope he stays keen to support them going forward.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 23:13 (Ref:4180783)   #192
Umai Naa
Veteran

My understanding is that the new car is already in the country. However, I've yet to see anything from Wall Racing.

Although slotting him into a semi-works car for the remaining two rounds isn't out of the realm. Particularly if his gig is only a year-to-year thing, heavily reliant on secondary backers.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 23:19 (Ref:4180784)   #193
Umai Naa
Veteran

And now ARG have just posted up an info night for EOIs on prospective entrants.
Old 10 Oct 2023, 00:49 (Ref:4180792)   #194
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
And now ARG have just posted up an info night for EOIs on prospective entrants.
Old 10 Oct 2023, 13:12 (Ref:4180861)   #195
Mixer
Veteran

Not specifically TCR related but how many times is it ok for majority owners of all these racing series to get caught cheating in one of said series?
Old 10 Oct 2023, 13:13 (Ref:4180862)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran

Pretty common in speedway for a relative of the promotor to be bending the rules to suit.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 03:32 (Ref:4181213)   #197
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
These two points alone. I suspect a 'Speed Series' going forward, will consist of TCR, TA2, and S5000, coupled with local blow-in support catagories.

S5000 is kaput after Adelaide.
If you want a look at the non existent future of ARG meetings look at SMP in 3 weeks time where besides TCR and TransAm the total support program is Radicals and Excels.Most of the categories they don’t own but used to feature at their meetings are out of there.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 07:52 (Ref:4181227)   #198
one five five
Veteran

What chance do any of the Aussies have against the World Tour regulars? The locals haven’t really troubled the regulars all season so far.

Will Brown will be a good benchmark if the Audi stays together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
S5000 is kaput after Adelaide.
If you want a look at the non existent future of ARG meetings look at SMP in 3 weeks time where besides TCR and TransAm the total support program is Radicals and Excels.Most of the categories they don’t own but used to feature at their meetings are out of there.
I’d have thought S5000 at worst is folded into Formula Open?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4181269)   #199
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
What chance do any of the Aussies have against the World Tour regulars? The locals haven’t really troubled the regulars all season so far.
The gun pilots of TCR don't seem to set the world in fire when they end up in other categories where it is easier to measure against known talents.

Quote:
I’d have thought S5000 at worst is folded into Formula Open?
Given that GRM owns half the cars, will people run them anywhere and will GRM still support them?

Feedback from pilots I have spoken to was not favourable about driving the cars, but there was a feeling the tyre was the main cause.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 23:26 (Ref:4181370)   #200
Umai Naa
Veteran

The locals get belted any time the World Tour rolls into town.

I'm tipping TCR Australia to be rolled into SRO's recently acquired GT4 Australia rights. Can't see either of them being sustainable on their own, and they do run together in various championships across the globe.