Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 25 Aug 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1077076)   #26
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the internet, not WHSmiths - we're a fickle lot, net surfers.

By all means get a few ads on the site, I can't say I'll look at them. Start charging for the privilege of being insulted by people you've never met and/or prancing around on your high horse and you'll find people leaving quicker than a Big Brother contestant when the free bar closes.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 21:51 (Ref:1078572)   #27
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few more ads wont hurt, i'll even go watch them if it helps this forum.
It's the least we can do for the generous service we receive here!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1082374)   #28
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, internet ads have to be clicked on to produce an income, not just watched.
Pop-ups would just get blocked (if you haven't got a firewall or even just a pop-up blocker yet then why not?), so banner ads would probably do best here - just look how long the scroll bar is, they'd just get lost at the top.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1084152)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
10-10ths being a pay site would be terrible... a pop up or 2 no problem...
Old 4 Sep 2004, 20:49 (Ref:1086934)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've changed my mind on pop-ups. They have driven me to fury of late as my computer gets ever slower and my patience wears ever thin.

I'd rather ten-tenths went out of business..........

..........not.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1088070)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
10-10ths being a pay site would be terrible...

Why?

(And I do mean that seriously).
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1088086)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the biggest attractions for the majority of members is the number of active members on the site, meaning threads develop fairly quickly and every time one visits there's something new to read. If 10Tenths becomes a pay site I think we'd see a fairly steep drop in numbers. Yes, the die-hards would stick around, but the site as a whole would become less dynamic. And as it does so, more members drift away and fewer new members stick around. In such a scenario, 10Tenths would still provide a superb service to those who remain, but the law of diminishing returns may jeopardise stability - fewer members means less income, means less money to run the site. Of course, fewer members also means lower spec requirements and lower running costs, but the two won't necessarily match up.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1088122)   #33
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Maybe Garcon, but have looked at the members above that will leave?

Maybe we could just fake it?
Old 6 Sep 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1088131)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good point! Get rid of the chaff in one fell swoop!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1092015)   #35
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
How about an optional donation? I am sure there are many around that would do this. Although pretty unfair on those who donate and those who do not... but still...

PS. As long as Wrex doesn't have control over the donations We all know what he does with company CC's hee hee

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1092025)   #36
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is something we're actively looking at Coogz. A suitably responsible individual will have control of the funds.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1092042)   #37
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
...just as soon as we find one...
Old 10 Sep 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1092080)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ian Sowman would be good.

He's got a purse already, I hear
Old 10 Sep 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1092086)   #39
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the handbag to go with it.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1092277)   #40
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are two sides to the pay site issue. On one hand, you shouldn't expect something for free and those who run the site shouldn't be expected to pay the costs associated with running the site out of their own pockets. On the other hand, people are used to internet forums being provided free of cost. Old habits are hard to break, and if there's one thing which is especially hard to do, it is to get people to accept having to pay for something which they are used to getting for free.

The solution to this in my mind is to provide most of the site for free, but offer some extra tidbits to those who are willing to pay. For example you could offer all the motorsport forums free of cost, but offer access to Parc Ferme only to those who are willing to pay for a subscription to the site. Subscription cost should be set so low that money wouldn't be an issue for anyone, say at £10 or £15 per year.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth (but I'd be willing to pay more than that ).
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1092309)   #41
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just did a readback, and this issue was also discussed here for those who wasn't aware (or who just need to refresh their memory, like me ).
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1092330)   #42
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just re-read the orginal thread that R mentioned above and I would quite happyly give a donation for the up keep of the place.

Afterall, I have been here for a long time and its part of my daily life now and also had I not found this place then it would not have enabled me to meet some new people and do some things that I never thought I would do, ie going to Le Mans in E-Type Jag etc.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1111220)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By limiting the number of guests would that help, because throughout the day it's very hard to log on.