Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Apr 2004, 17:43 (Ref:955926)   #1
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guthrie Brabham Bt21 Colour Scheme

Can anyone confirm the colour scheme of this car when it raced in the Tasman Series. Was it Maroon with silver stripes(as his March702s) or as someone has suggested white with a blue stripe. ????
Old 29 Apr 2004, 19:30 (Ref:956027)   #2
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just looked through my various NZ publications of the time (January 1969) without any success - no picture, no mention of a colour in any text
Best chance might by the Australian mag Racing Car News, but I don't have the right copies
My memory is white with blue stripe, but I have to admit I didn't take much notice - he wasn't as fast as even the middling NZ twin-cam drivers
Old 29 Apr 2004, 23:07 (Ref:956229)   #3
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted.

Warwick Farm programme , Feb.9.1969.

Ent. Frank Williams Racing [ Drv Malcolm Guthrie G.B.]
Brabham BT21B Vegantune T/C 1598 cc. Grey/ Maroon. No. 15.

Bryan.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 04:44 (Ref:956368)   #4
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ted
I saw the car at Wigram that year. It was silver grey with a maroon central stripe and nose surround. I think from memory it was #21 in NZ but I could be wrong. The numbers on the cockpit sides were white.

Last edited by Teretonga; 30 Apr 2004 at 04:51.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 08:16 (Ref:956535)   #5
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're no doubt right, Teretonga and Bryan
I know he raced other cars in those colours, but didn't think he ran that livery in NZ
Must see if I can find a new memory chip
...unless it was white and blue when I first saw it, at Levin, and I didn't remember the change for Wigram?
Old 1 May 2004, 01:05 (Ref:957500)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I remember seeing it at Wigram David, and was really impressed with the colour. In those days I knew from memory the NZ history of every Brabham on the grid so took a special interest in this 'new' to NZ car. I simply assumed it had always been that colour as it was in that scheme in every photo I ever saw of it. The most confusing things that year were the Oxton and Hawthorne Lexington Brabhams although Berts had the experimemntal 'downdraught' fuel injected head which was quite distinctive.

Last edited by Teretonga; 1 May 2004 at 01:07.
Old 1 May 2004, 23:45 (Ref:958239)   #7
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
m guthrie ran his cars from f williams first workshop at the back of the red lion pub in cippenham, nr slough, he had a f3 car and a gt40 both were silver and maroon. richard scott also ran from the same building in f3.I think both might of gone to race bt28 f3 cars. i am sure brabham historians could tell us, but i am sure had he [ guthrie[ had a gt40, at the same time tony trimmer ran his formula ford,built from bits of brabham etc,i think also testu izusama had a space in the building, also someone ran a tecno f3 from the workshop.
This is prior to f williams involvment with piers courage.
Old 4 May 2004, 04:57 (Ref:959992)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Guthrie did have a GT40. The car ran in South Africa one summer in the sports car series in the late sixties. colour was silver and maroon-picture appeared in period Autosport
Old 4 May 2004, 07:43 (Ref:960066)   #9
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for this. I was sure it would be the"gunmetal" silver with maroon stripe. Another problem solved.