Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 5 Apr 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2170409)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Speedcar growing?

Not sure I want to darken the proper STOCKCAR enthusiasts with this thread but judging by the driver line up in Sakhir, Speedcar looks like it might have a reasonable future if it is this series that is to become the effective 'Masters' series for ex F1 drivers!!!

Alesi, Herbert, JV, Steve Johnson, Lehto, HHF, Morbidelli plus a few well known touring car guys etc.... and you've got some pretty serious talent in there?

Get double the grid size and the organisers might be onto something, judging by the race action today, place swapping and tail out lides galore. Needs a couple of oval races to satisfy purists though surely.

How many other ex topliners are sitting around twiddling thumbs at the moment? Must be loads more drivers that could be tempted in?

How about Panis, Fittipaldi, Martini, Irvine, Blundell, and how about a couple of North Americans like Tracy and Jimmy V or something for good measure?

Then for real huge publicity get Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen into join JV and their old mates like jean, JJ and Johnny!!
Old 5 Apr 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2170415)   #2
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble is, they are all being paid for by Dubai Autodrome and i don't think they will want to foot that bill for very long. The point of the series is to get rich arabs into racing and, on that basis, it hasn't worked.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2170893)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are two issues here.

The spectators/viewers love it and want it to grow - which shows the popularity of this kind of car/racing.

The drivers they are trying to attract will only do it if they are paid megabucks - with a few exceptions.

What they should have done is start it so that anyone with a reasonable budget could run the car, and attract lots of them. By giving it top line support/marketing, then the big names will come (if they're paid!)

It could develop into a big pro-am series.

Que: All-Stars V8 Cup........ ok, maybe not... but that's his idea (I think!)
Old 6 Apr 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2171597)   #4
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
What spectators? The only gate its had since its inception was the Aussie touring car support and F1 support!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2171634)   #5
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the series organisers can foot the bill for as long as they want to. Grids seem to be growing too, and the drivers seem to like it.

Big shout out to the West-Tec run cars, one of which took its first win on Saturday! Hoping for a repeat back in Dubai next week, after the mechanics have finished sunning themselves that is...

Last edited by JohnMiller; 6 Apr 2008 at 20:28.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2171733)   #6
John Robinson
Rookie

John Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"they are all being paid for by Dubai Autodrome and i don't think they will want to foot that bill for very long."

Goodness me. Golly gosh. Does this seem familiar?

Rockingham. Paid stars. Not funded for ever.

They'll be running in the V8 Trophy thing eventually ....

(only slightly tung in cheak)
Old 8 Apr 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2173418)   #7
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88
What spectators? The only gate its had since its inception was the Aussie touring car support and F1 support!
Sorry, I mean "viewing enthusiasts a long long way away in a galaxy where people follow motorsport rather than Mr Kalashnikov and his friends"

The feeling from the F1 crowd was that it was good - Angry cars wot go fast and require driver input!!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2173420)   #8
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson
"they are all being paid for by Dubai Autodrome and i don't think they will want to foot that bill for very long."

Goodness me. Golly gosh. Does this seem familiar?

Rockingham. Paid stars. Not funded for ever.

They'll be running in the V8 Trophy thing eventually ....

(only slightly tung in cheak)
They'll be most welcome to make "Class E" for Ecclestone.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2173454)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as a stockcar fan since i knew what they were, i would love to see this series continue and love to actually see a race. SPEEDtv has their heads so far up NASCAR's rear right now, i'm sure in a couple of years, NASCAR is all that will be on it.

i don't see it last long either. too much money (travel) for too "slow" of cars . will be interesting to see how long it'll last.

off to YouTube to see what i can find of this past weekends deal.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2173459)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=53PBnLUf3K8
NOT BAD!
they are pretty quick!

never have understood why they don't put real brake lights on stockcars at road courses, but at least these had a windshield wiper.

anyone know how different the SPEEDCARs are compared to last year's Cup and/or ARCA cars?
Old 9 Apr 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2173643)   #11
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
They're build is something close to a Nationwide road course spec car from a few years back. The bodies look a bit like Monte Carlo, as I understand it they all run Chevy motors, with the spec down to around 620bhp, probably to cope with the heat in the middle east / asian circuits where they run.

They run a mix of composite and sheet metal bodywork.

They weigh 1200Kg without driver or fuel.

More (but little!) information on their website - speedcarseries.com

Rob.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2173856)   #12
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One things for sure they dont need to worry about fuel and oil out there!!
Old 9 Apr 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2173988)   #13
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
Sorry, I mean "viewing enthusiasts a long long way away in a galaxy where people follow motorsport rather than Mr Kalashnikov and his friends"

The feeling from the F1 crowd was that it was good - Angry cars wot go fast and require driver input!!
But that F1 crowed will only go back when the F1 is on! If Bernie wanted a series that Europeans will watch i'm sure he would have put it in Europe. There appears to be a miss-conception here that he is building some kind of NASCAR orientated retirement home for old F1 drivers. I am afraid that isn't the case. Nor, as was debated on here before the Speedcar season actually started, is he trying to make a rival series to Nextel Cup. They simply want to get people of Dubia racing and in doing so, lift them of their (hard earned!!) wonga. This was a convenient platform to do it from. It will either start making money soon or it will be dispanded.

Thinking about it, this is in the wrong forum because we are discussing a one-make circuit racing formula whos cars just happen to look the same as late model American stockcars.

The success or faliure of the Speedcar series will not effect NASCAR or stockcar racing in general in any way, shape or form.

And you can call me Susan if it isn't so.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2174120)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were embarrassing in Bahrain - atleast during the second race. Half the field (including several race leaders) retired with mechanical failures. How do you manage that in a spec series?
Old 10 Apr 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2174291)   #15
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
It's the 6 P's.

P.
Poor
Preparation
Prevents
Perfect
Performance
Old 10 Apr 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2174507)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
after only hearing about this series this past weekend, it seems that the series has been around for a year? that is pretty bad that the cars couldn't last 20 laps. the little bit i saw on YouTube, i was not surprised that just about every car had some bent sheet metal by the end of the races. at least they are fairly "quick", for a 2600 pound beast.

with the looks of the webpage, amounts of races and the sheer "enthusiasim" for the series, i don't see it lasting...shame, i guess.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 10 Apr 2008 at 12:53.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2177161)   #17
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series has only been racing since January (well they did some testing at the end of last year but not much). Over the last couple of races the main problem with the cars has been a lack of time to strip them down and service them properly.

The racing is very close and with that there is always going to be some contact however I think they did manage to have a whole race without crashing into each other this past weekend.

There really hasn't been much publicity about the series but it has gained fans and the drivers love it. I can see it growing to become a support race for the F1 series in the future especially if channels like Eurosport carry on showing it live.

I'd expect the next championship to start around November time with more rounds and even more drivers.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2177214)   #18
superjohn
Rookie

superjohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am sure the fans in Asia and Middle East would equally appreciate GT3 class racing at the same weekend, if these were invited to replace SpeedCars. at least, they would easier associate with Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, Lamborghini, etc
Old 14 Apr 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2177300)   #19
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
I don't quite get the apparently racist viewpoint you seem to be espousing here? What relevance does a Russian soldier who designed a simple semi automatic gun have to motor racing?
vice versa you could say most of NASCAR's fans seem to follow the teachings of Samuel Colt

Anyway,
The local kid standing next to me thought they were great. He's 19yo, and his greatest dream is to be a racing driver.
Does his skin colour or religion matter? The only gun toting fanatics that have made his life miserable live in Israel.

and Johnny was pretty damn happy too.

Speedcar is just sowing some seeds, it'll take years to payback - if ever.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2177375)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny the season is over? and its growing?
and why do they think 2600 repli-NASCAR makes for better racing than DTM or a new V8supertaxi rather than these things?
but good for Herbert! and long live racing where ever it is
Old 14 Apr 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2177510)   #21
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
funny the season is over? and its growing?
It's a Winter championship hence the fact that it's over by the middle of April.

I think they wanted to go "back to basics" so the cars don't have the usual luxuries that series like the DTM allow. It means that most of the drivers are having a new experience and have to learn something while also putting on a show.

Last edited by chocmonster7; 14 Apr 2008 at 20:23.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2177599)   #22
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
I don't quite get the apparently racist viewpoint you seem to be espousing here? What relevance does a Russian soldier who designed a simple semi automatic gun have to motor racing?
vice versa you could say most of NASCAR's fans seem to follow the teachings of Samuel Colt

Anyway,
The local kid standing next to me thought they were great. He's 19yo, and his greatest dream is to be a racing driver.
Does his skin colour or religion matter? The only gun toting fanatics that have made his life miserable live in Israel.

and Johnny was pretty damn happy too.

Speedcar is just sowing some seeds, it'll take years to payback - if ever.
Firstly I apologise for anyone that has tuned in to a motorsport forum to read and discuss motorsport, and only motorsport, but someone has lit a fuse, and I'm gonna fire!

The perception of the public at large is that the wider middle east is filled with bigots and bullies all hell bent on controlling each other, or destroying each other in the process. It is the young who are being brainwashed by these people into believing that their neighbour is the enemy and should be veiwed as evil.

It is therefore my view that people in that region are more concerned with what is going on around them than what is going on at some "exclusive rich man's playground" that only certain people could aspire to get anywhere near (from that part of the world). We all know that in our "liberated west" that anyone can come good, regardless of race colour or creed. Over there it's not the case, and you should not attempt to hide the truth.

Which is why my comment "people who prefer to follow the kalashnikov" is apt. They prefer to worry about whether they are going to be there tomorrow, next week, next month, or even the next minute, because some kalashnikov toting brainwashed person could just take their future away.

For your 19Y.O standing next to you wishing to be a racing driver, then best of luck to him. Though his first thoughts, in the harsh world of reality. is being alive tomorrow surely?

WE, on this forum, are in that galaxy far far away from that harsh reality which is that region of the world.

Do not twist my words. They are NOT racially motivated, I hate all bigots and bullies regardless of race colour creed, or in these days of Political Corruptness, sexual orientation.

And the followers of NASCAR, well statistically speaking, using historical rhetoric, you are more likely to be discussing the feelings of bona-fide cross burning, white robe wearing citizens of the former Confederate States of America, rather than the teachings of Mr Samuel Colt which was more to do with the "wild frontier", as in the West of the now United States which is more interested in open wheel racing so it seems.

Rob.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2180797)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The perception of the public at large is that the wider middle east is filled with bigots and bullies all hell bent on controlling each other, or destroying each other in the process.
You mean the americans and europeans?? (sorry too easy)

But I'm inclined to agree that the Middle East is an odd choice for these cars but then the whole thing is an odd concept, I could understand it if they ran a coupla oval races but big ol' stock cars on road courses - sorry whats the point? If you want close panel bending cation may I suggest S2000 tourers
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2180821)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Whats the point? Because it's great racing.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2180828)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stockcars are great on road courses, just not with ex-F1 'stars' on middle eastern circuits.