Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Apr 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1579607)   #51
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Cathy Muller was a pretty handy pilot in F3, and it was a shame we never got to see her have a crack at F3000 as she decided to pack it in.

Barbara Cowell was good in UK prodsaloons, but admittedly that is a world away from the levels having already been discussed!

Louise Aitken Walker was ace rally driver and not bad in the odd race she did.

There was a well funded Metro racer in the early 80's who gave good account of herself, Alison Davis (i'm sure Dave Carvell, a recent new member will remember her well!) and even got an Alfa GTV6 ride at the TT in 1984 I think.

Top one ever has to be Pat Moss though...
Old 12 Apr 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1579654)   #52
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ellen Lohr was fairly successful in the DTM.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1579869)   #53
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Ellen Lohr was fairly successful in the DTM.
Still the only woman to have won a race in DTM (1992 IIRC, in one of the silver "Berlin 2000" 190 Evos, she was Rosberg's team mate that year).

Claudia Hurtgen has won a few GT2 races with Roock.

Anna Cambiaghi - didn't she have some success?

As has been stated, Lella Lombardi has a good record. I was brought upon ETC and remember her (and was it Francia or Rinaldo Drovandi) always taking the spoils in her Jolly Club GTV6.

Vanina Ickx is the fittest - by a mile
Old 13 Apr 2006, 01:07 (Ref:1579970)   #54
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry O'Neil
Dennise didn't drive for Ferrari as a works driver, but did get several rides in Ferrari and OSCA entered by the North American Racing Team - just as good really!!
right - I believe NART was the de facto North American 'Ferrari Team' run by Luigi Chinetti, the New York distributor - ergo, the US racing colors.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1580089)   #55
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports
I think lack of money isn't attitude of sponsors against lady racers; more lack of hard results by the afforementioned lady drivers........
That sounds like the proverbial 'chicken & egg' We have here plenty of examples of ladies with results who failed to progress upwards.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1580383)   #56
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Think how tough it was for women drivers in the 30's-60's, despite obvious skills, to be discovered and funded. Hardly easier today...sexism still plays a rols, it seems.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1580546)   #57
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lillian Bryner - spelt something like that - teamed up with Calderari. She was a very good racer. Won the 96 Sports Car WC in GT2 Porsche; Ferrarirs thereafter. Tough and strong, also quite an eyeful. Hard to think she wouldn't have cut it in a Bugatti in the 30s. Get some pics up quick before the TT Police step in . . .
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1580549)   #58
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lilian Bryner in FIA-GT's is pretty handy. I saw her in the Paddock at Donington a few years ago.
Well, I say 'saw her' I actually nearly knocked her over, she's tiny, in a petite kind of a way, you understand...
Old 13 Apr 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1580550)   #59
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
Lillian Bryner - spelt something like that - teamed up with Calderari. She was a very good racer. Won the 96 Sports Car WC in GT2 Porsche; Ferrarirs thereafter. Tough and strong, also quite an eyeful. Hard to think she wouldn't have cut it in a Bugatti in the 30s. Get some pics up quick before the TT Police step in . . .

Cheeky Monkey - you just beat me to it!!!

And she is indeed an eyeful...
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:30 (Ref:1580604)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
There was a well funded Metro racer in the early 80's who gave good account of herself, Alison Davis (i'm sure Dave Carvell, a recent new member will remember her well!) and even got an Alfa GTV6 ride at the TT in 1984 I think.
She was quick long before that, though, in the early 70's, in the Femfresh Ginetta G15.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1580620)   #61
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swedish racer Nettan Lindgren hasn't been mentioned before. She won one or a few Swedish Touring Car races around 1990, as well as the Thruxton 2-litre BTCC class in 1990. It might have been a bit of a lucky win, as virtually all the top contenders were sidelined or delayed, but she had to fight off a bunch of other drivers including Chris Hodgetts and Markus Oestreich IIRC - and that in a virtually sponsorless BMW M3. Sweden used to have a Lady Cup for Lancia A112 (later Opel Corsa's) and Lindgren was dominating this class during the second half of the 1980's.

Ellen Lohr has been a favorit of mine for a long time. Didn't she win a German FFord title (ca. 1986), before succesfully graduating to DTM. She has even driven a season or two in trucks as well - quite versatile.

I think Claudia Hürtgen was destined to have been the successor of Lohr, but injured her hand in Monaco during an F3-race, and has since then mainly raced saloons in Germany.

Jesper
Old 13 Apr 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1580869)   #62
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In rallying there was Pat Moss (Stirling's kid sister) who was good enough to win the Liege-Sofia liege and nearly win the Safari at her first attempt. And later Michele Mouton who won all sorts of things in an Audi Quattro

In prewar racing there was Elizabeth Junek and helle-Nice in Bugattis, Kay Petre andothers at Brooklands, Gwenda hawkes setting records at Montlhery in the Derby-Miller and Derby-Maserati.

And then there's Desiree Wilson, the onlywoman to win a Formula 1 race.

Last edited by D-Type; 13 Apr 2006 at 23:17.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1581236)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I take it you decided not to read the thread through then D-Type?
Old 14 Apr 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1582269)   #64
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who was the lady who won the Prod Saloon Championships in the 80's driving a Suzuki Swift. I can't for the life of me remember her name, but she was pretty unbeatable at the time.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1582363)   #65
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
See post no. 51!
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1582364)   #66
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a wonderful thread -- I was so interested in this issue that I undertook my own research a while ago and had no clue this thread was even here! I can't wait to get a nice coffee and read it all the way from start to finish - and thankyou to the thread starter whoever you are for starting it! I'm sure I'll encounter great info on many I've not even heard of yet - but my research led me to love J.Guthrie for what she did; how she did, and when she did it.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1582405)   #67
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ever heard of Joke Maarsland, she raced a DB3 Aston Martin in the 1950's?
Very attractive as I recall.
Sarah Munns races Minis with some success and has won against the men, and Rachel Green is pretty (competetive), well both actually.

Look out for the British Womens Racing Drivers Club magazine, Quickword, for info on current lady drivers.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1586925)   #68
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
In rallying there was Pat Moss (Stirling's kid sister) who was good enough to win the Liege-Sofia liege and nearly win the Safari at her first attempt. And later Michele Mouton who won all sorts of things in an Audi Quattro
...and Pat Moss married who?...Erik Carlsson, the Saab Rally ace...what an incestuous racing world!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1588738)   #69
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another good lady driver, although not exceptional, was Hannelore Werner, who raced Formula 2 March's for Eiffeland Caravans in the earlt 1970's. I do not recall her scoring points in those early championships though.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1588765)   #70
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
Another good lady driver, although not exceptional, was Hannelore Werner, who raced Formula 2 March's for Eiffeland Caravans in the earlt 1970's. I do not recall her scoring points in those early championships though.
Her best result was 2nd in non-championship F2 race on the Nordschleife in 1970.Was promised an F1 drive the following year but never appeared and has not been heard of since.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1588890)   #71
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Donna Hewitt was a good driver in a special saloons Mini in the early 80's...

Doh! hang on a minute she was a fictitional character on a BBC TV show!

Still it was a good effort at peeling back the chauvenism that prevailed in motorsport.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1590913)   #72
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Way back in the early '90's I used to marshal the Karts at Three Sisters near Wigan. A very young lady, whom I can only recall as Stacy (drove with pink wheels), very much ruled the roost - so much so that in one year she beat Louise Aitken-Walker to become the BRDC lady racing driver of the year, at a time when LA-W was top of her tree.

So, whatever happened to young Stacy (and I hope it involved study rather than boys)........
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1590935)   #73
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Christobell Carlisle who raced a mini in the '60's. I seem to remember her giving some of the established saloon car drivers a pretty hard time. I think she was a school teacher and very pretty but that's about all I can remember
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1590980)   #74
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She also drove an Austin Healey Sprite. If I remember correctly she had a bad accident at Silverstone that finished her racing career. She is now
Lady ????.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1590992)   #75
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.. and Gabrielle Konig, anoither smasher in the Briton Spridgets.
Done her have we?

Last edited by gfm; 21 Apr 2006 at 16:20.