Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Jul 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3840392)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Road America 2018

The imsa race at Raod America is right around the corner. This is one of the greatest tracks in the world to see cars at in person. If you are headed that way, I'm jealous. We have the prototypes back this week after the GT only event at Lime Rock. Will the long straights at RA favor one DPI over another? A lot of teams have tested here this year, but the conditions this week may be different. It is expected to be hot, with a slight chance of rain.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 17:42 (Ref:3840404)   #2
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
With the track so big, there won't be any lapping within the class races at all unless somebody has an issue. Therefore if a safety car comes up in the last 1/3rd of the race. You'll get 3 dashes to the checkered flag.

Hope we can carry over the safety car records of Daytona, Mid Ohio, and Lime Rock to this race of course. Could happen. We'll see.

Hard to predict other than BMW won't win GTLM..he he.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 17:44 (Ref:3840405)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Friday will be just as much of an anticipated day as Sunday. With schedule, class structure and the much needed revision of the GTD rules and regs coming out.

I can't see the whole DPI/LMP2 split happening. I don't want it to happen. P and GTLM will probably be the same as this year on all fronts. GTD is going to be the main point of the changes.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3840435)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And one car already gone, Performance Tech pulls their Oreca from the race. No mention of parts shortage or difficulty with money so wondering what the story is there.

And the poor "volunteer" who has to driver with Cooper punishment falls to Pier Guidi. Sorry sir, think everyone has to have their turn with him for the checks to clear and him to buy new toys from Ferrari for Scuderia Corsa
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3840573)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
And one car already gone, Performance Tech pulls their Oreca from the race. No mention of parts shortage or difficulty with money so wondering what the story is there.

And the poor "volunteer" who has to driver with Cooper punishment falls to Pier Guidi. Sorry sir, think everyone has to have their turn with him for the checks to clear and him to buy new toys from Ferrari for Scuderia Corsa
PT has had some crash damage this year, I'm guessing they are short on $$. They mentioned they will be testing a little too get ready for petit and Laguna. But you're right, doesn't bode well for a class split.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3840575)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Friday will be just as much of an anticipated day as Sunday. With schedule, class structure and the much needed revision of the GTD rules and regs coming out.

I can't see the whole DPI/LMP2 split happening. I don't want it to happen. P and GTLM will probably be the same as this year on all fronts. GTD is going to be the main point of the changes.
Yes, I had forgotten about the announcements on Friday. There are some really big changes possibly coming up. and years past we speculated about new cars coming into the series but this year the big news seems to be more of how to keep some of the cars we have.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3840609)   #7
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yes, I had forgotten about the announcements on Friday. There are some really big changes possibly coming up. and years past we speculated about new cars coming into the series but this year the big news seems to be more of how to keep some of the cars we have.
That's for sure. Although Aston Martin could come back in one of the GT categories I feel. I do hope we can get something positive out of this for GTD. My prediction is 1)Daytona becomes non points and optional for GTD teams 2)CTMP dropped and becomes P/GTLM only 3)Silver rated drivers gone, replaced by mandatory bronze rated drivers. Lets put it this way. I think Madison Snow and Katherine Legge are going to have to be thinking about their futures here soon. Their sneaky silver days are coming to an end.

Another thought on the Road America race itself, should be pretty clean the large track should allow all 3 classes to have space to race amongst themselves for large amounts of time.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3840678)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
That's for sure. Although Aston Martin could come back in one of the GT categories I feel. I do hope we can get something positive out of this for GTD. My prediction is 1)Daytona becomes non points and optional for GTD teams 2)CTMP dropped and becomes P/GTLM only 3)Silver rated drivers gone, replaced by mandatory bronze rated drivers. Lets put it this way. I think Madison Snow and Katherine Legge are going to have to be thinking about their futures here soon. Their sneaky silver days are coming to an end.

Another thought on the Road America race itself, should be pretty clean the large track should allow all 3 classes to have space to race amongst themselves for large amounts of time.
I'm with you on Daytona becoming non-points for the season but think teams will want it for NAEC for those event only programs. CTMP dropped is interesting and possible. I don't think we'll see Silver dropped, more like rankings changed by IMSA. The problem is Madison is truly Silver and making him Gold as an "Am" is tough, he technically is an Am and think they're paying to run the car. Katherine is a pro and find it hard to make a true Pro a Silver after a certain number of seasons to mature. She's racing in other series and has a long history of racing in good cars and series. Madison I think is closer to a very fast DHH but yes I would allow a change based on series domination and winning over a couple seasons. He wins GTD 18 and 19, then like the GTA to GT move in WC after an overall win, there should be change.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3840942)   #9
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Wiil make one prediction for the race. Going for the Turner BMW to win GTD. Car won Road America last year. You have to think the team is inspired by the dominating performance by BMW at the 24 hours of Spa. If they run clean, they could win it with Bill Auberlen driving.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3841033)   #10
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Lol, Bill auberlen is the exact reason that car didn't make it at like rock. But yes, hopefully they are inspired in their heart of hearts to win.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3841102)   #11
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Lol, Bill auberlen is the exact reason that car didn't make it at like rock. But yes, hopefully they are inspired in their heart of hearts to win.
#93 Acura was easily the one at fault there.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3841145)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Well he won't be there to cause any trouble, or get caught in any, this week. Seems like gravity can defeat Bill and he fell off a ladder at home according to S365
Old 3 Aug 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3841147)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
My favorite NA track. I've always looked forward to this one. The high speed, the length, the elevation changes, the turn variety... all that makes this the best track they visit imo. The races always have action. It's not hard to pass here either and you can recover from incident if close to the pits without losing a lap if you have to pit.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3841200)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Practice 1 seemed to be a bit troublesome for many cars. Riley has to get their backup chassis prepped after a crash, and Derani burst in to flames on his out lap. Oh and Auberlen will miss the race because he fell off a ladder at home.

And through all of this Mazda topped the timesheets!
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:21 (Ref:3841278)   #15
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remarkable how the pace of the BMW seems to vary so widely. Well off the mark at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. Suddenly look competitive here. Road America has historically been a BMW track (the M3, the M6, and now the M8). They know something about this track that the other GTLM teams do not.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3841280)   #16
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Top 4 or 5 look pretty close in DPi in practice 2. Hope BMW can get their first win with the M8. They do appear to be fast here so I think the car is able to stretch it's legs. It must work well in the high speed type tracks.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:51 (Ref:3841455)   #17
TF110
Veteran

United States
https://imsatv.imsa.com/ qualifying live now.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3841464)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Good proto qualifying. Would not have expected to see Alon on the pole!

The GT classes were good as well, pretty day up at Road America.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3841484)   #19
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two P2s in the top three .... two Prototype classes next season. ?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3841489)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Two P2s in the top three .... two Prototype classes next season. ?
When the DPis aren't slowed to be the same speed as the base LMP2s you mean?
Old 5 Aug 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3841495)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
Breathing through a straw on those engines. Good qualifying though. Disappointing from ESM. I also thought BMW would challenge for pole but the track changed without them following it looks.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 02:16 (Ref:3841512)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Breathing through a straw on those engines. Good qualifying though. Disappointing from ESM. I also thought BMW would challenge for pole but the track changed without them following it looks.
How is the ESM bop these days compared to last year? I don't know, but they don't seem to be providing the same speed this season as they had last year. I know they have had some engine supply issues, but is that really all of it?
Old 5 Aug 2018, 04:53 (Ref:3841520)   #23
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Compared to last year on paper they're 10kg heavier but probably not in reality, have 1L more fuel, have less boost, but are permitted more downforce. Putting aside the difference in engine the Cadillac has 4L more fuel and quite a bit more downforce though.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3841596)   #24
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Compared to last year on paper they're 10kg heavier but probably not in reality, have 1L more fuel, have less boost, but are permitted more downforce. Putting aside the difference in engine the Cadillac has 4L more fuel and quite a bit more downforce though.
Thanks I wonder why they haven't been as competitive this season then. they have lost speed and reliability which is not a great combination.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3841612)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well one down already, as I've heard many times trackside, nothing good ever happens in morning warmup.

Hawksworth had brake failure in to 8 and put her in the wall so they've withdrawn from the race according to their tweet this morning.