Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1241788)   #1
modifica
Rookie

modifica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmodifica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Koenigsegg CCR goes 388 km/h!

I read on Koenigsegg's official website http://www.koenigsegg.com/ that on February 28th they took a standard CCR car and took it around the Nardo test track, and it was confirmed that it went 388 km/h, or 241.09 mph. It said it broke the McLaren F1's record of 386 km/h, which was set at a VW test track. I know many people on this forum have seen the video of Andy Wallace driving the Mclaren F1 on that VW test track, and saying 391 km/h at the end of the run. Now to my calculations, isn't 391 km/h, or 242.96 mph, faster than 388 km/h? Did Koenigsegg get their speed numbers wrong?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1241806)   #2
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt the Dauer 962 street car reach 400+?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1241825)   #3
modifica
Rookie

modifica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmodifica should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't that have turbo with the engine?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1241832)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The Bugatti Veyron (production starts latter this year) should do more than 400 km/u.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1241869)   #5
modifica
Rookie

So does anybody have an answer to this weird problem?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 03:05 (Ref:1241901)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by modifica
I read on Koenigsegg's official website http://www.koenigsegg.com/ that on February 28th they took a standard CCR car and took it around the Nardo test track, and it was confirmed that it went 388 km/h, or 241.09 mph. It said it broke the McLaren F1's record of 386 km/h, which was set at a VW test track. I know many people on this forum have seen the video of Andy Wallace driving the Mclaren F1 on that VW test track, and saying 391 km/h at the end of the run. Now to my calculations, isn't 391 km/h, or 242.96 mph, faster than 388 km/h? Did Koenigsegg get their speed numbers wrong?
According to dsc, "Andy Wallace read out the speeds over the radio seven years ago, and his final figure was 391 kph – but that was (presumably) not 100% accurate." 240.14 mph was the "officially confirmed" McLaren speed.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Mar 2005, 04:34 (Ref:1241947)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
For Sportscars, the record is still to WM, with 412 km/h on an motorway (lately mentionned on the forum), and 405 km/h in the Hunaudières straight...
Old 4 Mar 2005, 04:50 (Ref:1241951)   #8
modifica
Rookie

How do you know it was not 100% accurate?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1242031)   #9
im8457
Rookie

im8457 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what the Saleen S7 turbo is suppose to do?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1242070)   #10
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by modifica
Driving on a banked circular track exerts more friction on the tyres, so it is not possible to go as fast as on a flat straight track. Therefore the Koenigsegg CCR would do more than 388km/h on a straight track and be faster than the McLaren F1, although I don't know the conversion ratio from a banked to a flat track.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1242078)   #11
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I work In car homologation and we homologated that car. (I personally did the brakes, heating... ) That car is homologated with a maximum speed of 390 Km/h, and needed a special letter from Michelin saying that their tyres standed that speed. Usually the speedometer gives a 4-5 % more speed than real, that explains Andy Wallace claim. Nardo´s radius is so big that acts as a straight line almost. If you remember VW speed record over 24 hrs, that was done at Nardo
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1242083)   #12
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaV8
Driving on a banked circular track exerts more friction on the tyres, so it is not possible to go as fast as on a flat straight track. Therefore the Koenigsegg CCR would do more than 388km/h on a straight track and be faster than the McLaren F1, although I don't know the conversion ratio from a banked to a flat track.
I second this too. A bit OT, who would love to take their road car and have a spin at Nardo? I would...
Old 4 Mar 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1242091)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I throught The Mclaren f1 Did a speed record with Tiff Needle(sp?) at Milbrook ???
Old 4 Mar 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1242152)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A car's theoretical Vmax doesn't count. The record is for speed over a certain distance, so the thing actualyl has to achieve that speed, and hold it for a while. As for AWOL and the McLaren, well that wasn't an official record attempt so... - sorry!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1242448)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
For Sportscars, the record is still to WM, with 412 km/h on an motorway (lately mentionned on the forum), and 405 km/h in the Hunaudières straight...
A car is faster on a banking because it needs less wing down force to maintain its trajectory.
But a speed record on a straight line needs more down force and therefore, far much power ; (900hp, more ?)
Old 5 Mar 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1242834)   #16
Spiteful
Racer

Belgium
Spiteful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
donnow
doesn't the lateral force excerted on the cars on a banked circuit like nardo offset the (down)force perpendicular to the road surface
also I think usually these cars don't generate much lift (if any) so that it becomes problematic on a straight line
not sure though, a little drunk right now
would that be some kind of psychological problem, visiting sportscar forums after you've gone out
Old 17 Mar 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1254661)   #17
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
I throught The Mclaren f1 Did a speed record with Tiff Needle(sp?) at Milbrook ???

I think that was the fastest speed by a road car in England.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1254683)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
A car is faster on a banking because it needs less wing down force to maintain its trajectory.
But a speed record on a straight line needs more down force and therefore, far much power ; (900hp, more ?)
If you are travelling in a straight line you don't need any extra downforce.

When travelling around a corner you are changing direction. Downforce or banking helps this. However you are not changing direction when travelling in a straightline so it is irrelevant. A car will ultimately go faster in a straight line than round a corner (banked or otherwise) even if there is enough grip because there is less tyre scrub (friction) when travelling in a straight line.

Nardo's conversion to a straight line is small, but still exists.

These are all very impressive speeds, whatever
Old 18 Mar 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1254818)   #19
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest Motor magazine in Oz has a story about all this - Don't have it in front of me but I think the details were the Koni now holds the "road registered" record - the Mac still has the "production car " (unmodified) record. There were a couple of figures for the Mac - the higher was with the catalytic converter removed so this didn't count for the production record. Mr. Koni is going back for a crack at 400. The story said Callaway actually did 400 kph years ago in one of his twin-turbo Vettes, but it didn't have the "official" timing set up.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1255088)   #20
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be interesting if this sparked off a good old fashioned speed war between a few people.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1255247)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
If you are travelling in a straight line you don't need any extra downforce.
I wouldn't try to travel at 300km/h or more, with no aero stabilisation, except at Bonneville on the salt lake !