Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Jun 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3831977)   #1696
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
A decade ago only two privateer cars managed to qualify within 10s of the pole sitting Peugeot despite 15 of them being entered in LMP1. This year there was 13.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3832192)   #1697
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“I am a huge advocate of separating car work and fueling,” Fehan said. “So the emphasis comes on to the crew. I want to see the same thing in America.

“I like it when the pit stop plays a role in how effectively you compete in the race. Where it’s more than just a driver in the car, it’s the whole team that has a role.

“The unintended consequence of that is that it encourages less tire usage. Because now you really have to ask yourself, ‘Should I keep the set of tires on, or should I take the time to put a new set on?’… I like that.”

Corvette gets it. Doug Fehan is absolutely spot on.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...dained-racing/

It's basically everything we've said in this forum. If you BoP everything, then make sure everyone runs an identical strategy, then nobody can do anything. I also stopped short before of saying that I believe these strategy calls is how Corvette manages to be fighting at the end despite never being the ultimately fastest car, but I suspect one reason Doug has said this is that's probably the case.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 02:24 (Ref:3832237)   #1698
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
“I am a huge advocate of separating car work and fueling,” Fehan said. “So the emphasis comes on to the crew. I want to see the same thing in America.

“I like it when the pit stop plays a role in how effectively you compete in the race. Where it’s more than just a driver in the car, it’s the whole team that has a role.

“The unintended consequence of that is that it encourages less tire usage. Because now you really have to ask yourself, ‘Should I keep the set of tires on, or should I take the time to put a new set on?’… I like that.”

Corvette gets it. Doug Fehan is absolutely spot on.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...dained-racing/

It's basically everything we've said in this forum. If you BoP everything, then make sure everyone runs an identical strategy, then nobody can do anything. I also stopped short before of saying that I believe these strategy calls is how Corvette manages to be fighting at the end despite never being the ultimately fastest car, but I suspect one reason Doug has said this is that's probably the case.

I do understand what you are saying, and I agree on it. That would make for the far more interesting races.

However, BOP in a cost conscious category is supposed to hide the technical deficiencies of the various platforms that come to race. GTE is not an open development class and it should stay that way otherwise cost goes out of control

If you say that everyone has an 80 Liter fuel tank, and no balancing of stint length, then the Ford and Ferrari win Le Mans every year.

If you say that tires and refueling cannot happen at the same time, then cars with tire wear advantage due to the platform (Ferrari) can win. See Nürburgring race last year.

When the intent of the category is to use the BOP to hide technical deficiencies and allow all of these different platforms to be competitive (front engine, mid engine, rear engine, small front area, big frontal area), then no one should have an efficiency advantage.

Now I do think GTE has unfortunately been boxed into a corner in the name of cost. What can you really do? This is what happens when cost matters.
If GTE was open development, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the class would kill itself once cost got out of hand.

Last edited by Articus; 21 Jun 2018 at 02:35.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3832242)   #1699
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!carbsmith has a real shot at the podium!
If only GTE was actually remotely cost effective.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3832353)   #1700
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
If only GTE was actually remotely cost effective.

Put things into perspective. It could be far far worse than this.

BMW and Aston recently recommitted to the category in its current state. That's a big deal and shows that the cost works at some level.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3832494)   #1701
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well a Corvette GTE PRO entry for Shanghai-who woulda thunk it?

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...wec-entry.html

Fantastic to see this happen.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3832496)   #1702
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^ And Fehan just last week:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...e-forward.html

Quote:
Is there any chance we see WEC involvement from Corvette in the foreseeable future, with GTE Pro so strong?

“The real answer is that General Motors is a huge conglomerate of brands, divisions and companies. They all run separately but are owned and run by the same people, there are just completely different silos. It’s the same in North America and Asia. This programme is driven by Chevrolet of North America, and we have a limited budget, and it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for the North American budget to support things going on in other countries.

“If we could get some of those other countries to participate, and find the value in it, then I’m sure we could run a global programme in the WEC. But that would take separate GM companies coming together, which isn’t easy to do. Le Mans is the exception because it’s the holy grail of all of motorsport. Would we like to do WEC as well? Of course, but we can’t burden North America financially with that. And, by the way, we are also limited in the number of Corvettes we can make and we have a much greater demand in Europe than we can meet.”
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3832497)   #1703
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, sounds like GM Asia just said they'll pay for it. So really is just a case of if someone pays for it then they'll run it.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3832498)   #1704
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any chance they will do double duty at Sebring?
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3832499)   #1705
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
“It’s a distinct possibility.”

in that above interview.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3832560)   #1706
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Looks like it'll have a nice one-off livery too. Cool.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3832660)   #1707
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!Coach Ep has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Pretty decent apparently. It's early days obviously.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3833020)   #1708
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
This is mostly about Le Mans, but does point out issues over EOT/BOP and pit rules for the whole of this WEC season:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...out-again.html
Old 29 Jun 2018, 00:54 (Ref:3833517)   #1709
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BoP must be fair and reasonable.

The LMP1 rules are ridiculously unfair. And the GTE rules change too much every race.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:08 (Ref:3833538)   #1710
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought of BoP being more fair than the LMP1 rules. Actually I think of them in the opposite way. If you build a faster/more efficient/in some way better car than your competitors to the same rules as them you deserve to enjoy this advantage and not get put down to a lower level. It is called prototype afterall. LMP1 is one of the last non spec/pseudo-spec class apart from F1 and it would be a huge shame in my opinion to lose this aspect from the top class at Le Mans.