Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1807176)   #1
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Carlisle, Christabel

I'd like to mention Christobell Carlisle who raced a mini in the '60's. I seem to remember her giving some of the established saloon car drivers a pretty hard time. I think she was a school teacher and very pretty but that's about all I can remember

Last edited by John Turner; 5 Jan 2007 at 14:59. Reason: Driver Files edit.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1807178)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She also drove an Austin Healey Sprite. If I remember correctly she had a bad accident at Silverstone that finished her racing career. She is now
Lady ????.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1807182)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Christobell Carlisle who raced a mini in the '60's. I seem to remember her giving some of the established saloon car drivers a pretty hard time. I think she was a school teacher and very pretty but that's about all I can remember
There was an article in Motorsport about her recently - Very quick by all accounts.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1807184)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
She also drove an Austin Healey Sprite. If I remember correctly she had a bad accident at Silverstone that finished her racing career. She is now
Lady ????.
You've jogged my memory. I seem to think that the accident involved hitting a marshal and she was (hardly surprisingly!) very badly affected by it. I didn't know she'd become a Lady but she was quite an 'upmarket' girl!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1807186)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
You've jogged my memory. I seem to think that the accident involved hitting a marshal and she was (hardly surprisingly!) very badly affected by it. I didn't know she'd become a Lady but she was quite an 'upmarket' girl!
Just dug the article out and she did retire after an accident at Silverstone in which a Marshal unfortunately died.

Since then she has climbed Kilimanjaro, walked from Lands End to John O'Groats for her 60th birthday, walked the Iberian Peninsula and also has an MA in Architectural History - obviously still quite a lady!
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1807189)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Just dug the article out and she did retire after an accident at Silverstone in which a Marshal unfortunately died.
By weird coincidence, I started to sort out my old Autosports last night and one of the first issues my eyes fell upon was that of July 26th 1963. It included the race that Christabel was in, which was one of the support races for the British GP. She was in a 3 way dice, when she lost control of the Sprite coming through Woodcote and hit the pit wall and the scrutineer, Harold Scree. He was only there to try and identify who was was dropping oil on the circuit (was that the cause of Christabel's accident?) and very sadly died of his injuries.

Last edited by John Turner; 13 May 2014 at 10:03.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1896906)   #7
John Fielden
Rookie

John Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way it is Christabel and she was the prettiest thing on the circuit.

(Thread title amended, thank you, John - JT)

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Apr 2007 at 09:34.
Old 20 Nov 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4084498)   #8
Salsin
Rookie

Salsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Her Mini had the registration number CMC77.
She also published a book in 1963 called "Mini Racing" - its a softback only 58 pages, about A5 in size, which I have in my own book collection. There are 2 copies currently for sale on "Bookfinder" - at about £40.
Mike Dodman
Attached Thumbnails
07A0A84C-672A-4B41-8A49-EF7ED8AA0F68_1_105_c.jpeg