Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Oct 2002, 03:44 (Ref:414372)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the US anthem overseas?

I mean... This is really the ultimate in arrogance... There are only a handful of American drivers in the field... They should be singing the Brazilian anthem.

Oh well, at least it's better then the Aussie anthem! (KIDDING!!!)
Old 27 Oct 2002, 04:47 (Ref:414408)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pfftttt... the guy who sang the aussie anthem is a mate of mine, and is the only cowboy singer I could tollerate for a short period of time
Old 27 Oct 2002, 04:52 (Ref:414413)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always wondered why they played the anthem before the race, no other series does it... But, I guess the idea of playing your anthem before the race is an American thing..
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Oct 2002, 04:58 (Ref:414419)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know the Aussie V8s tend to have the national anthem
Old 27 Oct 2002, 05:07 (Ref:414428)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an American series, they play the anthem. Americans love their anthem. And their flag.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 13:54 (Ref:414689)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually at CART races they have prayers. They could have used some prayers before this one, although I expect there were plenty DURING it to make up.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 15:40 (Ref:414745)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
They'd always play the Canadian anthem at MIS, too.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:20 (Ref:414811)   #8
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why? Michigan is not in Canada....
Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:47 (Ref:414830)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Probably because it was about an hour's drive from the border, and much of the fanbase there were fellow Canucks.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 20:25 (Ref:420905)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Just thought I'd bring back this topic, as I'm listening ot the Fontana radio broadcast and their singing 'God bless America' which is much nicer than the song they use as their anthem. Why was the Star spangle banner or whatever it's called chosen? It's a terrible song...

oh ok, now they're singing the nation anthem. I'm turning the radio off, it's that bad!

Last edited by Jay; 3 Nov 2002 at 20:26.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:44 (Ref:420978)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

"God Bless America" is a rather hokey song, but yes, it's better than the anthem.

The words to the anthem were written by a lawyer during the 1812 conflict with England... The music comes from some stupid British pub song. Really great musical pedigree.

I suppose that when we had to pick an anthem, there weren't many choices available... And being stubborn Americans with no taste, we haven't bothered to change it.

That woman they had singing the anthem today should have been stoned to death, she was so horrible!!!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 Nov 2002 at 21:45.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 21:45 (Ref:420981)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

"God Bless America" is a rather hokey song, but yes, it's better than the anthem.

The words to the anthem were written by a lawyer during the 1812 conflict with England... The music comes from some stupid British pub song. Really great musical pedigree.

That woman they had singing the anthem today should have been stoned to death, she was so horrible!!!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 01:58 (Ref:421112)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. I figure that after they had offended all the California Multiculturalists and Atheists by singing "God Bless America" they had to offend the rest of us by having that woman yowl the National Anthem in Rap/Hip Hop/WTF mode.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 05:02 (Ref:421159)   #14
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Lee Janotta
[B]"God Bless America" is a rather hokey song, but yes, it's better than the anthem.

+++++++++++++++

Lee- as a fellow American, I have to disagree with your downing of the National Anthem. While I'm not a super patriot or anything close to it, the Anthem does (or should) command some degree of respect from any American who appreciates the blessings we have living here. Perfect- no.....pretty darn good- yes. Think of those who gave their all so you could complain today.

We are in complete agreement about the vocalist at today's race. I don't know why it has become fashionable to try to over-embellish a traditional song such as this- there is no beauty in this distortion (IMHO)
Old 4 Nov 2002, 15:08 (Ref:421453)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Criticism of the Star Spangled Banner usually comes from those who hate the song because they hate the country it represents. It's just easier to say you don't like the song, which if sung correctly (it never is anymore), can be inspiring and emotional.

And yes, music is a matter of taste. But before this thread became about the US and it's National Anthem, it was about why it was played in Australia. I thought it was odd too, but in the US, especially here, near the Canadian border, we hear 'Oh, Canada' frequently. Especially at races as MacD said, and hockey games. I think it is done as a courtesy to the visiting country. Nothing wrong with courtesy IMO.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 17:39 (Ref:421585)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like my "Els Segadors", Catalonia's national anthem...
Old 4 Nov 2002, 17:48 (Ref:421591)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I think Hendrix is the only one who really captured the passion that this country's anthem _should_ evoke.

If you've seen the actual footage from Woodstock... The man was really setting his soul free.

I don't hate my country, just certain elements within it... But I don't want to get into that debate again. So I'm just going to drop things here.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 18:03 (Ref:421597)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Hearing the Star Spangled Banner sung reverently at the ceremonies commemorating 9/11 was inspirational because for the first time the words actually fit the circumstances perfectly. One of the best singers of the SSB was Roger Doucet, the anthem singer at the old Forum in Montreal. He had an operatic range and he would always take the Land of the Free up to the next octave and hit it perfectly.

One of the worst renditions I have heard is when they let a driver's daughter sing it at Mosport once.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 20:15 (Ref:421684)   #19
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That lady singing at Fontana was horrible was she from Berlin? or in a band named Berlin I'm sure nobody cares either way.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 21:33 (Ref:421726)   #20
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes she was. From a band called Berlin, I mean. But yes, she was terrible.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:38 (Ref:421819)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Don't they hold auditions? I know the Leafs did. Or was she somebody's girl friend?
Old 5 Nov 2002, 00:58 (Ref:421853)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I don't think my saying the American national anthem is a horrible song should be taken the wrong way, I mean the song, not the country. It's an old drinking song with words that are anything but grammatical and barely make sense. The Canadian Anthem isn't much better, and is certainly more boring. There was another song, "The Maple Leaf Forever", which is much much nicer than O Canada, but it had one line in it that offended Quebec, so of course that made it no good...

Good Anthems? Germany and China both have lovely anthems. Wish I could understand all the words...
Old 5 Nov 2002, 01:31 (Ref:421877)   #23
Liz
Veteran

The Israeli National Anthem and the French are my favourites.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 02:35 (Ref:421908)   #24
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, if you knew American history, the American National Anthem would make a lot of sense to you. Stop the insults, even if you don't mean them to be insulting. Let this post drop away.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 02:57 (Ref:421915)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I didn't insult anyone or anything, but ok...

The French anthem isn't bad either, and it certainly gets played a lot outside of France which says something! Haven't heard Isreal's...

I also enjoy the Italian national... The one good thing about having TGF win in F1 is getting to hear those two anthems.