Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Sep 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1701689)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Goodwood Revival, 1-3 September, 2006 (with photos)

Just got back from Goodwood and rather surprised that a thread has not been started. I felt sure that I would be beaten to the draw!

Although I was not there on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were superb. This was probably the best Revival so far, and I've been to all of them, despite the inclement weather that didn't really clear up until yesterday afternoon.

A few of the highlights for me were:-

1) The presence of the fabulous Alfa 3000CM, driven to victory by Derek Hill in the Freddie March Memorial Trophy.
2) Great drives by Peter Hardman in the Ferrari LMB and Aston DBR1/300 (the latter sadly letting him down, when leading the Sussex Trophy)
3) The sight and sound of 2 Lancia derived D50 GP cars in Richmond Trophy; magnificent
4) Superb drives by Jean-Marc Gounon in the 1964 GTO Ferrari and Aston DBR2
5) Gary Pearson, who also drove brilliantly all weekend!

Loads more of course, but I don't want to hog this. What were the highlights for you?

My heart went out to Simon Drabble who had no doubt waited all weekend to enjoy driving his Merlyn in the last race of the meeting only to have to pull off the track on the green flag lap. What happened, Simon?

The weather was so dark and wet for much of the time that it really played havoc with my digipics, but I have enough left to inflict some on you over the coming couple of weeks!

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Sep 2006 at 18:03.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1701693)   #2
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks John. Don't stop, some of us couldn't go so we depend on you to an extent to let us know what happen, who won what etc ... great to hear from you.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1701743)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't there on Sunday (Friday and Saturday only), but as usual I was impressed by the standard of cars present and driving. Weather did it's best to spoil it, but wasn't as bad as the forecast..

The Alfa 3000CM was exceptionally cool, as was Jochen Mass in whatever he drove.

Shame about the big accidents on Friday, hope the drivers aren't too sore and that the cars are restorable. And when will Carlos Moteverde learn??
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1701755)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
And when will Carlos Moteverde learn??
Well, he certainly hadn't by Sunday!
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1701783)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yup - another ten tenther finished the race with a part of the pretty yellow Ferrari under his car! Fridays qualifying was cut short which didnt help me as initial nerves were just going when the combination of traffic and chequered flag ensured a very slow time. To a Goodwood new boy it is a very intimidating place and testing the week before was a lot quicker! It took all weekend to get used to the number of people in the paddock. By Sunday initial nerves had subsided and I was in the Zone and really looking forward to the race, we have a fuel starvation problem which with the benefit of what I now know I could have stopped but as it is I effectively ran out of fuel with 25 litres in my tank. In short at slow speed it wasnt filling the swirl pot. To say I was gutted must be the understatement of the century - however that aside it was an incredible weekend and yes that Alfa was gorgeous and Derek Hill a really nice guy. I was very fortunate to be asked and hope that they run a similar race again and that I catch the selectors eye!
Congratulations are due to Jason who posts on here and my 6 Hour co driver Brendan Roberts who came 4th.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1702061)   #6
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having stirred the pot a few weeks ago with my comments about Goodwood being too similar year on year it would be unfair not to comment on how enjoyable the event was this year. I went on Saturday and although the weather was poor it meant that the racing was much closer and more interesting than would otherwise have been the case. I enjoyed the Fordwater and St Mary's Trophies especially. I was at St Mary's for the St Mary's Trophy. Did anyone else see Sir Stirling punt Barry Lee up the inside and lean on him ? Perhaps Sir S missed the drivers' briefing because it certainly wasn't his corner.
Anyhow a great event. And, yes, I will be buying the DVD when it comes out !
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1702116)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, so that's how the Westie got dinged! I did wonder.

Had an excellent time, as always, in spite of the weather doing its best to spoil the occasion. Of course, it wasn't nearly as soggy as the 1999 event. Am I right in thinking that this is only the second wet year we've had?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1702144)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Three days of heaven and, for me, Gary Pearson winning in the BRM P25 was the highlight, well as an ORMA member from 1955 it would be. Gary then went on to win the Sussex Trophy in my second favourite car of all time the D-Type Jaguar. I spoke to Gary at the prize giving and he showed me the massive (and VERY expensive) Rolex watch he received as 'Driver of the Meeting'. It was well deserved. His trip through the gravel bed in Carlos Monteverde's Ferrari was thanks to a little 'help' from Ray Bellm who he was trying to pass, otherwise it would have been yet another trip to the podium.

Robert Beebee and Blakney-Edwards in chain drive Frazer-Nash' had the crowd on it's feet and cheering during the very wet Brooklands Trophy race as they duelled frantically all race long, indeed when Beebee spun B-E waited for him so that they could continue to entertain. The real spirit of Goodwood.

Yes very bad luck Simon, did you get my note? I tried to find you several times, maybe I should have tried the bar.

Spoke with two other Tenthers and we all agreed that the Historic sections are best.

When out at St. Mary's with an American friend we walked past a family all dressed in Honda F1 team shirts. I looked at Dan and said 'Stupid people!'
'Yeah!' He said, 'Stupid.'
Unkind? Maybe but they looked ridiculous amongst those who had made an effort to be in keeping with the ambiance of the Revival. At the prize giving Lord March paid tribute to the spectators who made such an effort to fit in, and it came across in a very heartfelt way. By the way, they were handing out free champagne to all and sundry so if you shot off..... well next year!

If anybody was competing I have about 350 pictures and if you let me know what you were driving I will see if I have a shot or two. No charge.

PS; JT I loved your period frock!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1702184)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble

When out at St. Mary's with an American friend we walked past a family all dressed in Honda F1 team shirts. I looked at Dan and said 'Stupid people!'
'Yeah!' He said, 'Stupid.'
Unkind? Maybe but they looked ridiculous amongst those who had made an effort to be in keeping with the ambiance of the Revival. At the prize giving Lord March paid tribute to the spectators who made such an effort to fit in, and it came across in a very heartfelt way.

PS; JT I loved your period frock!
Well let's hope that they don't read this, then, although, I agree it's unlikely!
I'm sure their apparel didn't spoil their own enjoyment of the event, however. I have to say that I have never bothered to dress up in period attire for this event in the 9 years (not saying I won't in the future, though). I prefer to be comfortable and casual to allow for the fickle nature of the weather and race track conditions. Some ladies with their garden party outfits, seamed stockings and high heels looked great but their elegance was somewhat marred once they started trying to walk around the gravel track perimeter with any grace! Actually, there were loads of people dressed like me; very casual with jeans and T-shirts (under their wet weather clothing), even in the paddock; you just couldn't get into the enclosures. I suspect Lord March has (not unreasonably) selective blindness when it comes to people dressed like me, just as I have to attempt deafness when listening to his sister sing! Oh and that 'frock' is a regular wear; I prefer to call it my short artists smock! Anyway, if you saw me, why didn't you say hello, Bob!

Tim, I believe that you are correct, I think this was only the second truly wet Revival meeting, although for a good drenching, the 1999 event was definitely wetter!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1702207)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yes... the singing....

bless.....
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1702230)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, let's set the scene. I hope the following speak for themselves and require no captions:-

Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1702239)   #12
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for the first time on Saturday. I would have gone again on Sunday but I was a bit wrecked after the 3 hour door-door train journey from my house (each way). Next year I'll hire a car as I did for the FOS.

That said I did have a great time and intend to return next year for the full event!

I've put some crappy pit photos up here. But I'm getting sick of them, I'd really like to see somebody else's action/track shots!
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...006/?start=all

Last edited by zac510; 5 Sep 2006 at 11:33.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1702248)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We were there THursday through Sunday, the first time I've attended working in a non race capacity, I have to say hats off to all those who do that year in year out, I found it harder work than a race weekend especially as you have to cater to not only VIPS, drivers and participants but the general public, and to a lesser extent the great unwashed ! There are too many side shows for the space available now I think . . .perhaps more activity needs to be moved to Lavant to spread the load ?

I had the pleasure of driving Jochen Mass up to the House in my wifes car on Saturday evening, a really nice guy, and I believe Stirling Moss was also driven in it a few times, initial feedback has been good so I think Glamcabs are here to stay. Although from now on I'll be concentrating my efforts on the race car to be honest as we're elligible for next years revival, and Thanks to Ted at Ferret Fotographic we now have more reference points in photo form to improve our detail even further . . . .

the only down side to the weekend was a fight on the campsite on Friday night which resulted in an ambulance being called, my son being woken and all of us ( including quite a few competitors and marshalls ) being kept awake until 3am. I've made an official complaint and will be suggesting that non English speaking toilet attendants, catering staff etc camp in a different field to competitors, Marshalls and mechanics etc, we have jobs to do and potentially life threatening/saving decisions and actions to take. with only 4 hours sleep I didn't feel safe working on a taxi let alone anything to do with racing cars.

the weather was the least of my worries in that respect, and the camper/awning stood up well . . . .which bodes well for SPa in a few weeks
Old 5 Sep 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1702307)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Interesting different slant to the event, Zef. We sometimes forget all the 'backroom' stuff. Hadn't heard about the fight at all - a real shame!

Before 'reporting' (I use the word very loosely!) on the races, just a brief word about absent friends. Lord March made a moving tribute to Ray Hanna, the great Spitfire pilot, who was always a key component in entertaining us at the Revival, and who died shortly after last year's event. I would also like to include his son, Mark, who had also entertained us both at Goodwood and Duxford, as well as other venues, who died in the cockpit of an ME109 when displaying it in Spain in 1999. Also, just before the events of the weekend, we learned that Tom Delaney had passed away (see our Tributes forum) at the ripe old age of 95 - he was due to start in the Brooklands Trophy race in his LeaF Hyper - racing to the end. He will be missed!

Raymond Baxter, I believe now in his 80's, commentated briefly on Saturday, but did not feel well enough to leave his hotel to attend on Sunday. I also understand that Alex Henshaw, former Spitfire test pilot, was unable to attend for similar reasons. He is 94; the march of time is never kind.

The first race was the Goodwood Trophy for GP cars and Formula Libre cars 'of a type raced between 1930 and 1950'. This has often been an ERA benefit and they were again well represented as the first picture shows. However, two Maseratis qualified 1st and 2nd on the grid, and duly converted that to a race result, Stefan Schollwoeck winning in the 6CM, with Mark Gillies in 4CM, second. In fact it turned out to be an Italian podium 'lock out' since the beautiful Alfa Romeo 308C of Julian Majzub stormed through from the back to finish 3rd (top lefthand of grid in the picture):-

The Maybach Mk1 entered and driven by Robert Harborow to 14th

Warren Spieker's Alfa Romeo Tipo B blew up as he was starting lap 6:-

Full results here:-
http://www.msttiming.com/result.asp?...d=goodwood.gif
Old 5 Sep 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1702311)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I've put some crappy pit photos up here. But I'm getting sick of them, I'd really like to see somebody else's action/track shots!
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...006/?start=all
Look OK to me, zac!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1702393)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First Time at Goodwood and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I Was there Friday and Sunday. Had to work on Saturday, but left my tent on site. Was at Post 5 on (between Madgwick and Fordwater), where the big accident happened on Friday. Mr Liuzzi amazingly managed to keep his Lister-Jag on the track a few minutes early, they had a McLaren hit the same spot on Saturday and Peter Brock (in the red Corvette) came very, very close in the TT on Sunday, aswell as one of the Cobras.
Great drives, on Sunday, from Mark Hales, winner of the Brooklands Trophy, "Whizzo " Williams in the Ferguson, during the Richmond Trophy. Michael Rogers in the lightweight E-type and Anthony Reid in the Cobra, during the TT race, and Wayne Gardner, the class of the field, in the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy. "Driver of the day", despite coming second to Gary Pearson in the D-type, was undoubtably Jean Mark Gounon for his drive, from the back of the grid, to nearly take victory, in the Aston Martin DBR2, in the Sussex Trophy.
I totally agree with Zef about the campsite. I drove back from London on Saturday night, arriving at the campsite at around 11.45pm. Went straight to bed, as we had to sign on at 7.00am, only to be woken up by people returning from "The Ball" at 2.00am.
Now I realise that "The Ball" is a big part of the weekend and I do not object to people having fun, but it would be nice if Goodwood separated the groups, so that the "Workers" would be in a seperate area, where we would not be woken up in the middle of the night by revellers, and people leaving generators on all night. I shall send an e-mail to Goodwood about this, just as a suggestion, as it did not ruin the great weekend I had.
My one big gripe was the amount of drivers ignoring yellow and especially RED flags. Just after the accident at post 5 happened on Friday, we had 3 drivers still race, together at high speed, through 2 red flags and a marshal standing on the tyre wall (namely, me) trying to slow them down, as there was a car, with an injured driver in it, and marshals stood in the middle of the track.
Now I know this is a once a year "fun event", but these were professional drivers, who shall remain nameless, who should know a lot better and could have made a bad situation a whole lot worse.
I would just like to congradulate all those involved, the great team of marshals (especially Geoff Pritchard, the Observer), the incident crew and the Goodwood Track crew, for the swift, professional and co-ordinated teamwork in dealing with this incident.
I'd just like to finish by saying thank you to the BARC and all others involved (like air traffic control) for producing a truly memorable weekend.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1702463)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/tororobbo/

As some may know I have tried to post pics here before without success, but following zac510's post I tried photobucket and it appears to work. zac try this link, would you it is a random selection and I will put up more if you can view them. Thanks for the unwitting tip.

John, Only kidding, if I had seen you of course I would have spoken, we tt's really should communicate a little more as it is always nice to meet members who you only know by some outlandish user name (John Turner, ecxepted).
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1702478)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Bob, I can view them; they look good; put some more up ..... immediately!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1702486)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick correction on my last post. Geoff Pritchard was the Incident Officer, who deserved the special mention, and Alan aka "broompusher" was our more than able Observer.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1702497)   #20
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Here's my link to some of my pictures:-

http://motorsport-marshal.spaces.live.com/

Having only come out of hospital 2 weeks before last weekend, I suppose really I shouldn't have even been at the meeting, but as I'd been at the previous eight, how could I miss it!!!!!

From my wheelchair in the pits it wasn't always easy to realise what was happening on track, so am looking forward to the DVD at Christmas. But I was stopped by lots of friends over the 3 days, and it's proved a great tonic to surgery.

Steve
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1702512)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 was the Chichester Cup for front engined Formula Junior cars 'of a type raced between 1958 and 1960'. After a few laps, the race was red flagged ......... to allow an elderly US navy biplane to land! Here is the first start:-

At the restart Robin Longdon in the his Lola-Ford Mk 2 (14) was very hard pressed by the well driven Alexis-Ford Mk2 (2) of Stuart Roach, but Longdon just had the edge and held on to win:-

John Monson in the BMC Mk1. I'm not certain where he finished since, at the time of posting MST don't seem to have the results of this race:-

Robin Lackford sticks the nose of his Elva-BMC 100 up the inside of Jason Wright's Stanguellini-Fiat going into Madgwick. They finished 7th and 9th respectively (I think!):-
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1702538)   #22
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/tororobbo/

As some may know I have tried to post pics here before without success, but following zac510's post I tried photobucket and it appears to work. zac try this link, would you it is a random selection and I will put up more if you can view them. Thanks for the unwitting tip.
Works fine for me, although you might want to put them into a subfolder for organisation!

Keep 'em coming John.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1702600)   #23
SOOTYS TOYS
Rookie

United Kingdom
SOOTYS TOYS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood

Hi all am new to all this.I raced the Mark 1 Zodiac in St Marys Trophy race,had a few problems over the weekend but just beeing part of made it all worthwile.If anybody has any pictures i would love to see them.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1702615)   #24
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Race 2 was the Chichester Cup for front engined Formula Junior cars 'of a type raced between 1958 and 1960'. After a few laps, the race was red flagged ......... to allow an elderly US navy biplane to land!
Truth is the CAA called it through as an airfield emergency, so therefore they took priority over the racing taking place. Presume there was something wrong with the plane, and not just a case of being too lazy to circle and wait.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1702632)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, well, Race 3 was the Fordwater Trophy for endurance racing and GT cars 'of a type that raced between 1960 and 1968'. There were some really lovely little cars in this race and with 2 exceptions they all had engines of 2 litres or under. On the face of it, this looked like a walkover for Keith Ahlers Morgan SLR, on pole with a time 1.5 seconds clear of second place gridman, Adrian van der Kroft, in the other Morgan SLR. They did, in fact, finish in that order, but it does not tell the story of the race. Lining up 3rd on the grid was the Ashley Sprite GT driven by Michele Tommasi, 1.9 seconds behind pole and 4th, 2.6 seconds off pole was Gareth Burnett in John Ruston's wonderful Abarth Simca 2000GT (one of two entered). Now the Abarth GTs were very quick cars in their day and despite the gap to pole, I would not have bet against Gareth for victory. Unfortunately, owing to a family crisis, he did not take the grid. When the race started Keith Ahlers took an immediate lead and edged away from his pursuers and was looking comfortable; that is until Michele Tommasi passed the second SLR. Tommasi was the star of this race. He chased Ahlers down and passed him, got repassed, made a mistake and again made up all the ground he had lost and retook the lead. Unfortunately, despite clearly having the pace to win this race (he took fastest lap of the race by over 1.5 seconds!), the excitement of it all got to him and he made a second mistake and this one he could not recover from as he finished beached in the gravel. While all this excitement was going on John Groom, in his special bodied lightweight XK140 had worked his pace up to snatch third at the flag:-

The MGB Berlinette of Bob Ridgard which finished 15th, followed by the Abarth-Simca 2000GT of Wolfgang Molitor and the Sebring Sprite of Gordon Elwell, neitherof whom finished:-

Michele Tommasi:-

The very pretty WSM Sprite entered by Tony Wilson-Spratt (son of Douglas, the builder of the WSM cars) and driven to 6th place by Ian Hulet:-