Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Jun 2023, 15:34 (Ref:4164900)   #651
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm all for BOP when its based on car dynamics and calculations of potential performance or past performance. What I am not in favour of is giving a "leg up" to other team(s) just because another team has been dominant in the rounds beforehand. I was actually supportive of a platform change, to give LMDh a slight boost, but that would have then penalised Peugeot and we couldn't have that...
Old 21 Jun 2023, 15:56 (Ref:4164903)   #652
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Then again, it might just end up being closed cockpit F1.Maybe mandate that they are street legal and have a minimum 100 car production run?
F1 closed cockpit, just paint it red with yellow stripe? As to the production number, I seem to remember it was 20. Anyone to confirm? They were supposed to be modified road cars and present in the catalogue's maker.

Last edited by Gerard C; 21 Jun 2023 at 16:08.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 16:07 (Ref:4164904)   #653
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And we're in an age where a person's or organization's word isn't worth the breath used to utter it and contracts and even rule books aren't worth the paper they're printed on. But you also have to remember that old phrase "the Lord givth, the Lord taketh away". And with an organization like the ACO or the FIA, read the fine print and note that rules and other things are subject to change at basically any time.
Fair enough. Slightly OT but not that much, it's hard to imagine what heavy hands mean in this racing world. Want an example? OK. I guess Adam has a special allowance to use all the data displayed by the official spanish time keeper. Each time you're connected, the fist things you read are two warnings "disclaimer" sayin that you're not allowed to use what you see, "thid parties", blah, blah… I'm very familiar with this, its the same company we have in historics and we call them RC bis… Free world? No angels in sight kolonel!
So, Toy', Pug' and friends as you said are pretty much aware they're playin hide and seek and are permanently on the tight rope.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4164907)   #654
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

This article is a good read, however a few things come to mind and while I do agree with Jaime in his over arching assessment that a win in '24 might be even more meaningful in the grand scheme; I think that beyond just wanting to prove themselves with major competition, I believe Toyota wanted that Centenary trophy in their cabinet. They put in the work to earn it too, but well... yeah. Secondly, who is to say that they will win it next year? I certainly hope they do, but Le Mans is never a guarantee, far from it. What if Porsche sort out their issues over the winter and sandbag through the first three races of the season for an advantageous BoP at Le Mans? Ferrari wouldn't be standing still, their car is going to get faster and more reliable. As will Cadillac. The category is sand boxed and BoP'd, it's really not LMP1 days. Tens of things could happen.

I think that we may also get robbed of seeing a "GR020" (hope I'm wrong on this) because in essence, the GR010 is a compromised car that was evolved into being a beast. I'm sure the engineers wold love to do another homologation, but what would be the point really if the GR010 can be consistent and BoP will solve any future pace deficiency?

On that note.... any word on what the BoP is going to be going forward the rest of the season? Can't wait to see how the optics on that one is gonna be.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 16:50 (Ref:4164909)   #655
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
F1 closed cockpit, just paint it red with yellow stripe? As to the production number, I seem to remember it was 20. Anyone to confirm? They were supposed to be modified road cars and present in the catalogue's maker.

Nah, it'd be slow and break too much

As to the production numbers I believe that only applied to production based hypercars. Are those still eligible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm all for BOP when its based on car dynamics and calculations of potential performance or past performance. What I am not in favour of is giving a "leg up" to other team(s) just because another team has been dominant in the rounds beforehand. I was actually supportive of a platform change, to give LMDh a slight boost, but that would have then penalised Peugeot and we couldn't have that...

100x this.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4164910)   #656
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, the rules were made to discourage rampant development in most areas (cars have to fit a certain downforce to drag/lift to drag ratio, only one main body kit with only a few things that can be adjusted, quasi-spec tires, etc, including performance balancing/BOP). Also, a basic car's homolgation is good for up to 5 seasons, and you're only allowed so many jokers and only one overall new car design (new tub/engine) during those 5 years.

Granted, we can visually see that Toyota have used several jokers probably from 2021 to present, and newer teams do initially get more leeway with inseason testing and jokers.

However, BOP doesn't (and shouldn't) fix everything, and IMO it should still be up to the teams to perform.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 17:36 (Ref:4164913)   #657
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Still wainting for a real Supermegahypercar category, restritions setted up at the minimum, engineers show your best, drivers flat out and que le meilleur gagne. This would be sport, not show. IMO.
The purist in me wants the same thing. A class of true engineering skill and innovation. But the reality of the political scene wouldn't allow a class dominated by a single, or couple of, manufacturers with LMH and LMdH being second class citizens.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4164922)   #658
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I feel their pain. The BOP change was unfair in my opinion. I wanted to see another team win at lemans, but not at the expense of “the sport” in terms of fair competition. I don’t blame Toyota for being extremely ****ed off.
It's not hard to understand why they were highly dissatisfied with the unexpected BOP update but... they had everything in their hands until Hirakawa crashed. Hard to blame BOP for that tho
Old 21 Jun 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4164923)   #659
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Now they know how to spell Alpine and squirrel in japanese…
Old 21 Jun 2023, 19:19 (Ref:4164924)   #660
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
The purist in me wants the same thing. A class of true engineering skill and innovation. But the reality of the political scene wouldn't allow a class dominated by a single, or couple of, manufacturers with LMH and LMdH being second class citizens.
It's already the case I fear. Want a nice prototype grid with a heavy BoP? Already exists. They want to go too far into "standardization" the way they go it all will end up with the same base, only name, logo, paint will allow to make the difference between a Toy', Glick or Ferrari. Good bye imagination then.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 19:50 (Ref:4164928)   #661
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They lost 32 seconds between hour 14 and 15 when Hirakawa came in (even pitstops with 51 on hours 14,15 & 16) and only 25 seconds from 15 to 16 when they hit the red squirrel (with a yellow stripe)

looking at lap times for that period and the drivers in per pitstop details there's alot of fluff in their story
Old 22 Jun 2023, 06:18 (Ref:4164955)   #662
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
This is why bop is such a controversial topic. Imo it doesn't belong in the top class at Le Mans but its there. I think whatever they use, EOT/BOP there's going to be upset parties. I don't envy the ACO's job.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4164960)   #663
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
This is why bop is such a controversial topic. Imo it doesn't belong in the top class at Le Mans but its there. I think whatever they use, EOT/BOP there's going to be upset parties. I don't envy the ACO's job.
Agreed. Fully. Just one point its not "only" the ACO.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4164993)   #664
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agreed. Fully. Just one point its not "only" the ACO.
Yes, I think the FIA had a say in it too. But either way it gave us the desired effect of a close contest, so you can't complain about it too much. At least it worked!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 13:35 (Ref:4164999)   #665
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if this was somehow talked about.
BOP was maybe not best but:

I think, everybody was already in the 3:28s for long time and Toyota's best lap was in 3:29 till late in Sunday.
They stayed out of trouble, made good pitstops and were close.
But the pace was not great.

Then suddenly when Hartley got in car late morning. - boom, he began setting faster faster laps, until he got into 3:27 and his best was faster than best time of the No. 51 Ferrari.

Its not the thing of the conditions or sth. They suddenly went faster.
Why they didn't do it earlier? They wanted to win and say: we were BOPed so badly, still we won?

Don't believe it. Strange.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 14:36 (Ref:4165013)   #666
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is ridiculous. It is completely normal for cars to have different speeds at different times and conditions, with different drivers, tyres, traffic and varying management of tyres, fuel and reliability.

What evidence do I have for this convoluted conspiracy theory? Pretty much every previous race!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4165014)   #667
XtC24
Racer

XtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridXtC24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are exactly right.

That is why I wrote that it was not about conditions or sth.
All the race fastest 3:29. And then Box in, Hartley in, Box out and series of quick laps all of a sudden.

It's around lap 300
Old 22 Jun 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4165016)   #668
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What did they they do with the squirrel body? Where was it stuck? Did only someone see it? Did it damage the restrictor? After or before the turbo? Actually. Will next step in BoP be to hang a synthetic squirrel tail after the rear view mirror? A la mode Esso with a tiger tail? Bigger? Same size? Smaller? Will it be made by Sparco or Stand 21? Does a squirrel bring luck in Japan?
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4165020)   #669
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What did they they do with the squirrel body? Where was it stuck? Did only someone see it? Did it damage the restrictor? After or before the turbo? Actually. Will next step in BoP be to hang a synthetic squirrel tail after the rear view mirror? A la mode Esso with a tiger tail? Bigger? Same size? Smaller? Will it be made by Sparco or Stand 21? Does a squirrel bring luck in Japan?
Ah but will the squirrel cause problems in pit stops? Will they get in trouble for an extra person touching the car while stationary. Gerry, you sound as confused as I am with all the 'parity'/BoP parameters and options.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:11 (Ref:4165025)   #670
Matador
Racer

They should probably hand a squirrel tail from the exhaust going forward no for good luck.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:17 (Ref:4165026)   #671
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Or may be they'll use the squirrel tail position as a sign escaping the radio communication… Sign language: tail up=great moment; tail down=was a great moment, refill; tail middle position + finger up=take that squirrel!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:36 (Ref:4165034)   #672
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC24 View Post
You are exactly right.

That is why I wrote that it was not about conditions or sth.
All the race fastest 3:29. And then Box in, Hartley in, Box out and series of quick laps all of a sudden.

It's around lap 300
Hartley probably was more comfortable with the car than Hirakawa? And if he's fresh, then he's ready to push and they always give new drivers new tires. Kobayashi said that the tires used were softer this season because of the blanket ban. So they were overheating (as shown early on with Conway). It's possible that the cool air helped Toyota in that area because they were used to running 'cold' tires and overheating was less of an issue.
Old 10 Sep 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4176085)   #673
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Monza race pace

Kobayashi had a wonderful pole and a quick stint. I thought I would look at the relative pace of the drivers.

Average Lap time
RankCarFastestTop 10Top 20Top 40Laps
1Kamui KOBAYASHI (G) Toyota 71:30.7801:31.1561:31.3271:31.50575
2Ryo HIRAKAWA (P) Toyota 81:31.1301:31.2831:31.3831:31.60276
3Jose Maria LOPEZ (P) Toyota 71:30.8121:31.1171:31.3281:31.62878
4Mike CONWAY (S) Toyota 71:30.9891:31.4241:31.6191:31.83276
5Sébastien BUEMI (P) Toyota 81:31.0591:31.4701:31.6521:31.90779
6Brendon HARTLEY (S) Toyota 81:31.6421:31.8221:31.9241:32.08574

Kobayashi had the fastest lap and the Top 20 and Top 50 average. Lopez had the best Top 10 - lost out on any better because he was stuck behind the Porsche?

Buemi quickest in the other car, but super strong showing from Hirakawa with lots and lots of quick laps.

Hartley did not have a good race - sounded like the car had a little problem by the time he was in the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota drivers.png  
Old 27 Sep 2023, 20:41 (Ref:4178546)   #674
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm putting this here because it involves Toyota, but it is actually a really good history of Dome at Le Mans with 101 and 102 cars. The 102 with no shark fin is one of my favorite looking prototypes of all time

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...-wec/10525963/
Old 3 Oct 2023, 18:40 (Ref:4179497)   #675
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'm putting this here because it involves Toyota, but it is actually a really good history of Dome at Le Mans with 101 and 102 cars. The 102 with no shark fin is one of my favorite looking prototypes of all time

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...-wec/10525963/
+1