Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2021, 20:58 (Ref:4077890)   #51
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Pole position for Valtteri Bottas! Hopefully he can convert that into a win tomorrow.

Old 10 Oct 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4077891)   #52
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

I was thinking the same thing
Old 10 Oct 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4077904)   #53
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Good result for Valtteri - controlled it from the front and made no mistakes that we saw at any stage of the race.

Really weird situation with staying on inters all the way through, track not drying, high humidity and v-e-r-y light drizzle, more like mist apparently at times.

The White Bulls had a good race and with 6 or so GPs to go, we are still "on" for the title race. Rock on.
Old 10 Oct 2021, 21:36 (Ref:4077905)   #54
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’d have liked to see him try to hold on. The bad bit was not committing one way or the other and doing the middle which didn’t try to maximise either of the choices.
Have you seen how much time Ocon lost in the final stages of the race and how his tires looked

and he was not nearly in as mucht fights for position and not going as fast as Hamilton

Ocons fastes race lap was more than 1.8 seconds slower than Hamiltons
Old 10 Oct 2021, 23:40 (Ref:4077922)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You’re confusing me with someone who is desperate to be right on the internet. Or maybe someone who is desperate for a particular driver to win.

I said I’d like to have seen him try. After the time had past to maximise the strategy to stop for new inters had past (which we can tell in retrospect), I’d like to see them fully commit to trying to make the no stop work. It would have been fun to see how it worked out. Probably about the same as the half hearted approach they actually did turned out? I’d have like to have seen.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 02:42 (Ref:4077940)   #56
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When driver refuses strategy A, you tend to get a "half hearted approach".

I'd prefer to call it "scramble to come up with a secondary strategy because our driver didn't want to listen", but "half hearted" is short and snappy
Old 11 Oct 2021, 05:28 (Ref:4077949)   #57
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s half hearted because in the end they didn’t commit to the alternative. Either stop early enough to best use the new tyres, or don’t stop to what the alternative can bring.

We all know the former was probably best. I’d have like to have seen how the latter worked out. They did neither.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 06:08 (Ref:4077954)   #58
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

Predictions are brilliant fun aren’t they

Two things had to happen for Bottas to win: he had to keep Verstappen behind him and at no point be asked to yield to Hamilton. I couldn’t see both happening, but they did!

Bottas is such an enigma. He is capable of driving like a World Champion one race, then like a midfield mediocrity the next. There have been too many of the latter, which has cost him the seat. Yesterday was one of the former, too late for him but a return to form which could be vital for Merc if he can maintain it.

Schumacher will definitely win the next race though - you read it here first!
Old 11 Oct 2021, 07:13 (Ref:4077961)   #59
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Bottas is such an enigma. He is capable of driving like a World Champion one race, then like a midfield mediocrity the next. There have been too many of the latter, which has cost him the seat. Yesterday was one of the former, too late for him but a return to form which could be vital for Merc if he can maintain it.
It might be due to the fact that, for many years, the Merc design philosophy has been to maximise pace running in clean air, ie. at the front. They’ve always struggled more in the pack.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4077972)   #60
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The penalty to Gasly was ridiculous. 1st lap, 1st corner, in the wet - 3 cars abreast. If that penalty was given to Verstappen or Hamilton, then we would have about 16 pages of arguments, rules quoted, youtube clips and second-by-second freeze frames plus comparisons with previous incidents in the sports history.

I cant for the life of me understand why they thought that the car in the middle of a 3 car sandwich was to "wholly" to blame for anything.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4077975)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel Gasly was unlucky. The only way he could have avoided it was by backing out, but so could have Alonso and Perez. We've seen worse, especially this year. Incidents happen, sometimes they are somebody's fault, sometimes they are racing incidents, yet are still punished

I agree, it was one of those things that happen. Just a case of three into one didn't go and someone got spat out
Old 11 Oct 2021, 09:07 (Ref:4077979)   #62
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I cant for the life of me understand why they thought that the car in the middle of a 3 car sandwich was to "wholly" to blame for anything.

I think it's because (in their opinion) there was no 3-car sandwich:

'GAS tried to negotiate T1 with PER on the inside and car 14 (ALO) on the outside.
ALO was slightly in front of GAS at the exit of the corner when both cars made contact, causing ALO to spin. The Stewards determine that GAS was wholly at fault for the collision, as he did not leave enough space for ALO on the outside. It should also be pointed out that the Stewards do not consider this incident as an unavoidable Lap 1 Turn 1 contact between two cars, as GAS was not sandwiched between two cars when he touched ALO’s car.'
Old 11 Oct 2021, 10:49 (Ref:4077999)   #63
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bottas is such an enigma. He is capable of driving like a World Champion one race, then like a midfield mediocrity the next. There have been too many of the latter, which has cost him the seat. Yesterday was one of the former, too late for him but a return to form which could be vital for Merc if he can maintain it
Maybe Mercedes would have gotten a better version of Bottas if they had given him a 2 year contract instead of going for a single year.

Some drivers just like or even need that kind of stability.
Sainz for example has said it was very important for him and ave him peace of mind when McLaren signed him for 2 years instead of just 1.

... and it turned out to be beneficial for both parties.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4078048)   #64
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't really read the thread yet, but isn't the Pirelli intermediate tyre not an amazing tyre?
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4078050)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was just the job. Well done to them.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4078059)   #66
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
...but isn't the Pirelli intermediate tyre not an amazing tyre?
The combination of negatives and nots here is frying my brain. I honestly can't tell if you think the tyre is amazing or not . I'm guessing ... it is?
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:39 (Ref:4078073)   #67
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Im curious on what Pirelli has to say on lh's post race tire analysis. I thought during the race he had to have been well past their usefull life and a puncture or delamination must have been close?

Brave dude really.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4078074)   #68
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The combination of negatives and nots here is frying my brain. I honestly can't tell if you think the tyre is amazing or not . I'm guessing ... it is?
Yes, sorry I always have to put in quite some effort to put my thoughts into words.

So yes I think it is amazing. When worn down to almost a slick it was both more durable and more grippy then the softs on Vettel's car.

I also feel it's awesome how it can migrate from an inter to a semi-slick and uphold decent performance while doing so. That also makes the switch deciscions to slicks all the more interesting.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 18:17 (Ref:4078081)   #69
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Yes, sorry I always have to put in quite some effort to put my thoughts into words.

So yes I think it is amazing. When worn down to almost a slick it was both more durable and more grippy then the softs on Vettel's car.
I understand and I hope you realise I was being completely light-hearted!

And yes the tyre is impressive. Evidence (if it was needed!) that Pirelli make slicks which degrade because that's exactly what they've been asked to do, not because they don't know how to make tyres.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4078083)   #70
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I understand and I hope you realise I was being completely light-hearted!

And yes the tyre is impressive. Evidence (if it was needed!) that Pirelli make slicks which degrade because that's exactly what they've been asked to do, not because they don't know how to make tyres.

Agreed and no offence taken.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4078100)   #71
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

I also feel it's awesome how it can migrate from an inter to a semi-slick and uphold decent performance while doing so. That also makes the switch deciscions to slicks all the more interesting.
One of the weirdest things is that never put softs on Vettel, they put on the mediums.

The inter is quite a bit softer than the soft though.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:07 (Ref:4078102)   #72
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Im curious on what Pirelli has to say on lh's post race tire analysis. I thought during the race he had to have been well past their usefull life and a puncture or delamination must have been close?

Brave dude really.
The carcass was beginning to show through the tyre:
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:29 (Ref:4078107)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow!
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:53 (Ref:4078121)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, seeing the carcass is not good. I imagine that part of what was going through their heads was that they might be beyond the recommended life (assuming there is there even an accurate estimation for those tires given there being so many variables given continual changing conditions). And that if he had a tire failure, that everyone would (probably rightly) come down on them for running him so long on those tires. Claims that they didn't care about his safety, etc. Also better to finish close to your current position/points than to DNF with no points.

Richard
Old 11 Oct 2021, 21:01 (Ref:4078123)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder if Hamilton has seen that photo?