Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3878302)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it must be a little easier with formula cars of relative simplicity, as all cars follow the same regs. With saloons and GT's the regs may be the same but the details of each car, are all different.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3878308)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I guess it must be a little easier with formula cars of relative simplicity, as all cars follow the same regs. With saloons and GT's the regs may be the same but the details of each car, are all different.
Of course. It does make you think, however, that if you want to compete on a level playing field, the best way is with certain categories of historic single seaters....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3878309)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I guess it must be a little easier with formula cars of relative simplicity, as all cars follow the same regs.
Absolutely. Clear, long established and easy to police regulation. A little bit more difficult when it comes to the Formule Renault Turbo.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 09:56 (Ref:3878491)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed . . .but most of us got into it with the car we like as opposed to having a desperate desire to win a plastic pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Of course. It does make you think, however, that if you want to compete on a level playing field, the best way is with certain categories of historic single seaters....
Old 25 Jan 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3878496)   #30
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I guess you have a dedicated scrutineering team for each successful series/club. We use to have one competent guy, a former Ford F employee, but when it came to make a file about every car at the start of the season, safety devices-weight-tracks-wheel base- carbs diameters, all went wrong for various reasons.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3880153)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
most of us got into it with the car we like as opposed to having a desperate desire to win a plastic pot.
I wouldn’t have been the first to build an FIA Gilbern GT, Joe, if that was my raison d’etre....

So, Peter Auto have issued technical bulletins for Cobras and GT350s competing in their 60s Endurance category this season. Included are a Cobra minimum weight with a max ballast of 30kg, and MSD rev limiters (as per Masters) for both car types. Good to see organisers taking concerns over development seriously, but will be interesting to see if lap times are any slower..... (Some engine types in their Classic Endurance Racing categories already have rev limits.)
Old 29 Jan 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3880357)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Likewise, I bought my GT because it was solid/original and genuine, we looked at 3 LC's as possible candidates And they were all turds. Reseller, reroofed, *******ised, rotten etc etc. Back in 2002/3 I was innocent enough to go looking for a genuine car . . . . Maybe that's part of the problem.

It would be interesting to see some of the new cylinder heads available as comparison to originals, one could, with a modicum of work, then report comparisons and give an informed opinion on whether they should be acceptable or not. It's quite understandable if originals are simply not available, but that's not the reason most have been redesigned/remanufactured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I wouldn’t have been the first to build an FIA Gilbern GT, Joe, if that was my raison d’etre....

So, Peter Auto have issued technical bulletins for Cobras and GT350s competing in their 60s Endurance category this season. Included are a Cobra minimum weight with a max ballast of 30kg, and MSD rev limiters (as per Masters) for both car types. Good to see organisers taking concerns over development seriously, but will be interesting to see if lap times are any slower..... (Some engine types in their Classic Endurance Racing categories already have rev limits.)
Old 29 Jan 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3880364)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Agreed, again. Ref to Pinto engines in Grp1, are the heads checked, meaning injection modified to carbs or 1.6 for instance. I seem to remember a series requiring a restrictor after the 44 IDA if a injection head was used, there are said to have a better flow. Not sure.
Acceptable replacement parts are listed in appendix K.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3880404)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It would be interesting to see some of the new cylinder heads available as comparison to originals, one could, with a modicum of work, then report comparisons and give an informed opinion on whether they should be acceptable or not. It's quite understandable if originals are simply not available, but that's not the reason most have been redesigned/remanufactured?
The Peter Auto technical bulletin discusses remanufactured cylinder heads for the Mustang and Cobra 289 engines, and what is acceptable or not. Knowing naff all about the engines, it doesn’t mean a lot to me!
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3880423)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Like pinto, Volvo heads are similar, the later injection head is much better than the earlier castings. Aside porting and chamber modifications, some heads had inherent faults when modified extremely, a lotus head for example suffers from a lack of valve spring height . . .restricting valve lift . . .if you bore the head to help, you encroach into the inlet port, especially if the ports are large. Another way is to use longer valves. . . Which causes other problems

I know a little about 289 heads, 380-420ish BHP seems to be the range for a top spec fia engine using 55 year old heads. I've not had my mitts on a new head, but I know it would be very easy to improve them, and I have it on good authority the new one have been. Which frankly ain't fair.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3880458)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I dont know 289 heads but have a good bloke using them. He reports they are becoming hard to source but convenient second hand ones are still available on the net for instance. Do you think allowing new heads will lead to a huge increase in power?
Interesting comment about Lotus heads, thanks.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3880919)   #37
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont know 289 heads but have a good bloke using them. He reports they are becoming hard to source but convenient second hand ones are still available on the net for instance. Do you think allowing new heads will lead to a huge increase in power?
Interesting comment about Lotus heads, thanks.
The trouble with any new head is not about allowing them, it's a need BUT the real trouble lies with the component and respect of the period specification. In essence anyone can cast new heads but give that to a clever man and you will see a whole new internal design that will benefit performance.

If you move some of the water cooling stuff and make space for the flow and porting to be perfect, of course there will be a performance increase but it will look just correct from the outside..!

Why is there waiting list on new engines from particular engine builders for a supposed "evolution" ? If all was correct, there wouldn't be such, you would just wait for a build.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3880922)   #38
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I guess you already stated that evolution and historic can't go together well. Its obvious. And when it comes to give a new allowance to a certain model, all the grid will be affected, dont you think so? A never ending story needing people dancing on egg shells en français populaire! Quite a challenge.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3880995)   #39
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
750MC often take a rolling road to the circuit to ensure legality of cars running in power-defined classes.
Why cannot the bigger upmarket organisers do the same?
Old 31 Jan 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3880999)   #40
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because they don't have power defined classes?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Feb 2019, 01:10 (Ref:3881020)   #41
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
You don't need power-defined classes to have a (more) level playing field. F'rinstance in LM and GT or whatever it's called nowadays is done with BOP....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 04:56 (Ref:3881045)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
From 750MC, we adopted the MX5 NA regulation. It works fine so far, people have fun, relaxed ambiance, few if no suspicion, reliable cars. The organiser reserves the right to exchange the ECU at any time of the meeting. The rolling road is a good idea and I'm sure Andy can comment that… But this concerns modern cars, injection, electronic ignition… In no way related to a Cooper you want to race at Monaco. In this case its hard to believe that the price of a carb or copy of a carb will stop the process. Driving such cars at such places involves "some " money, dont you think so? So, one carb or two and may be three, WTF?
Old 1 Feb 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3881055)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m sure other series / championships have used the RR idea, and others have / had a regulation requiring the cars to be tested at a certain RR pre season and then have particular parts sealed. With ECU equipped cars in particular, competitors still found a way to circumnavigate the sealed electrics / electronics.....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3881066)   #44
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We had a good laugh with Andy about that.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3881067)   #45
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like the conversation has moved on from "development" to "cheating".

What would an RR prove? That Fred had a number of horses more than Bill? Unless you have a maximum BHP level decided for a Lotus Cortina, it's not illegal to have more power. All you'd achieve would be to add a few zeroes to Fred's engine value.

In our world of racing generator engines a £150 motor can sell for £5000+ if you can prove it is a monster. Imagine what the biggest LC engine would fetch.

Where does development stand in the world of classic F1? Where most of the time the "original" engine is faster than the driver? Is there as much development?

Old 1 Feb 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3881075)   #46
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3881077)   #47
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Is reproducing, for example, a cylinder head with improved porting, development or cheating, Max? Or both?
Old 1 Feb 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3881081)   #48
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the head architecture is modified in the casting to allow the better porting this is cheating. The simple premise should always be “as it was, so it should be”.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3881088)   #49
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

What would an RR prove? That Fred had a number of horses more than Bill? Unless you have a maximum BHP level decided for a Lotus Cortina, it's not illegal to have more power. All you'd achieve would be to add a few zeroes to Fred's engine value.

In our world of racing generator engines a £150 motor can sell for £5000+ if you can prove it is a monster. Imagine what the biggest LC engine would fetch.

Where does development stand in the world of classic F1? Where most of the time the "original" engine is faster than the driver? Is there as much development?

In historic motorsport, the word "development" is cheating. Aren't we supposed to race the cars and celebrate history rather than try and rewrite it? People forget the historic part of the sport and tend to think it's just a race and which it is but the basic principle is that we should race the cars as close as what they were in the time. If not, just go modern racing, even at club level, you'll then be allowed to play with the modern stuff and it will be legal.

Todays' development and principle of a rolling road is of no help, it's not just about maximum power output but torque and how you achieve that. Simply look at some of the flywheel around, then think of what crank they have, rods, etc.

Control is not about "looking", it's about taking things apart and measuring. It always surprises me when I do cycling time trials, I have to go through a whole bunch of dimensional control for the bike, wheels and even socks length and if I don't pass, there is no way around, you must update and be checked again. If you do most historic races, they will just tell you about your helmet and harnesses.....
Old 1 Feb 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3881094)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
In historic motorsport, the word "development" is cheating. Aren't we supposed to race the cars and celebrate history rather than try and rewrite it? People forget the historic part of the sport and tend to think it's just a race and which it is but the basic principle is that we should race the cars as close as what they were in the time. If not, just go modern racing, even at club level, you'll then be allowed to play with the modern stuff and it will be legal.

Todays' development and principle of a rolling road is of no help, it's not just about maximum power output but torque and how you achieve that. Simply look at some of the flywheel around, then think of what crank they have, rods, etc.

Control is not about "looking", it's about taking things apart and measuring. It always surprises me when I do cycling time trials, I have to go through a whole bunch of dimensional control for the bike, wheels and even socks length and if I don't pass, there is no way around, you must update and be checked again. If you do most historic races, they will just tell you about your helmet and harnesses.....