Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2001, 17:42 (Ref:119286)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will F1 cars change radically again?

I was at Goodwood the other day looking at how amazingly Formula one cars had changed every ten years or so and wondered...

Is it possible for the cars to change radically again or are the guidelines too restricting? I mean, if a bargeboard isn't allowed to be wider at the top than the bottom and so on, what chance is there for a much more obvious design change (like previous attempts with fans or four wheel drive)?

If they do, I feel these strict rules would limit the ability of teams with less money to win by having a radical new invention of some sort.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 18:06 (Ref:119299)   #2
williams fan
Rookie

williams fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah but they can invent something new in the shape of aerodynamics remember those ugly x-wings about 2 years back?
Old 19 Jul 2001, 19:18 (Ref:119333)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the cars are going to HAVE to. Right now they're ALREADY beggining to go too fast, so something will inevitably have to be done to retify the stituation of development outstripping saftey. I'd expect to see F1 cars looking more and more like today's F3000's, which IMO is no bad thing.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 20:24 (Ref:119356)   #4
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they did change radically this year. Especially Jordan and Benneton.
The rules will evolve like they have this year to slow down the cars, and the cars will evolve with the changes.
Having strict rules is good for small teams. New inventions are usually produced by the big teams. The smaller teams have to struggle to keep up with new technology.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 00:13 (Ref:119458)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well there is talk of an engine cut already, but that won't come into play until 2007 at the earliest.
At the current rate of engine development with the 2001 BMW Engine pumping out about 865BHP, with a gain of around 15-20BHP per season the 2006 engines will be 900BHP + monsters.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 01:56 (Ref:119479)   #6
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayrtons turbocharged Lotus, in qualifying trim for the 1986 Monaco GP, was estimated to produce 1500 BHP!!!
Old 20 Jul 2001, 08:35 (Ref:119543)   #7
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, as the rules seem to be there to limit the speeds, how about only allowing a small engine but with slicks and any chasis/aerodynamic modifications you like?

It's not that I want to see wacky races or anything. But I don't really want to be looking at the same cars in 10 years time.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 09:51 (Ref:119561)   #8
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a topic which is starting to get a tad boring, but I quite like seeing what modifications the teams can come up with for different circuits - I do think that the teams should have more freedom over what they can do with the cars, but the 60s/70s represented a golden era of motor racing when people never really understood aerodynamics and all that business - the rules and regs have to be this tight to make sure all teams can be competitive - and whatever anyone says, I really don't think all F1 cars nowadays look the same - if they were all painted black you could still tell them apart...
Old 20 Jul 2001, 20:58 (Ref:119768)   #9
BD
Racer

Stefan,
The rules address the concerns of cornering speeds. Not outright speed. That is why they have taken away mechanical grip(grooved tires), and aerodynamic grip(less wing).
Anyway, more power doesnt improve lap times too much. I've heard that 50hp more equals about .5 sec a lap. Relatively thats not very much compared to how much faster the cars are this year(~3-4sec/lap) due to improved tires.
The Minardi's are lapping almost as fast as the Ferrari's last year. With virtually the same 3 year old engine.
I say more power with less grip. That will separate the men from the boys.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 21:15 (Ref:119772)   #10
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There was an article in autosport a couple of weeks ago where they wree discussing engine V angles. If anyone is brave enogu to try a >120 degree V angle, then they could have the exhausts out the top and the intakes on the side, like the cars from the '80s. Given Renault's hassles with the 111 degree engine I doubt its a road anyone will go down in the near future.

Also, there was some talk about moving to 2.5l V6's, which I think would be a huge mistake.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 17:00 (Ref:119994)   #11
BD
Racer

[QUOTE]Also, there was some talk about moving to 2.5l V6's, which I think would be a huge mistake.

I agree. Switching engine formulas is very expensive and will not change cornering speeds. It will only affect acceleration and top speed. I dont see them changing in the near future though. The FIA would need to give them a couple of years to adapt before the rule went into effect.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 18:34 (Ref:120017)   #12
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that the engine change is a no go until the end of the current concorde agreement.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 18:51 (Ref:120026)   #13
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless it's classed as an "emergency" - see immediate rule changes post-Imola '94...
Old 22 Jul 2001, 05:18 (Ref:120131)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
Unless it's classed as an "emergency" - see immediate rule changes post-Imola '94...
Which the FIA is thinking of doing because of the increased speeds, which is being solely blamed on the tyre war! :confused: Amazing really, F1 teams wants more tyre manufacturers, yet when they turn up and speeds tumble, the FIA have the nerve to blame them for it. They're only doing their job!

The idea of V6 2.5 litre engines is a scary proposition. No way should the FIA change the rule about engine capacity. Although when the engine capacity dropped from 3.5 to 3 litres everyone thought it would destroy the sport, yet the engines are now producing, if anything, much more power than the 3.5 litre engines. :confused: