Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3516469)   #26
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
Unlike Raidillon, putting them at La Source is perfectly ok. It's a very slow corner, and at every start I've seen in Spa in recent years, someone took advantage from running wide there.
Off topic but where is best place to watch the start of the race? I'm a newby to Spa this year.

Last edited by YorkshireLad; 17 Mar 2015 at 19:23.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3516470)   #27
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post

Also La Source is getting a curb behind the curb
From a work point of view it looks like the guy at the back is taking the kerb off and the man in front is re-drilling them down, unsure why...

Note the concrete dust and marks left by the curbs in the middle.

Im sad
Old 17 Mar 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3516540)   #28
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
Off topic but where is best place to watch the start of the race? I'm a newby to Spa this year.
I generally gravitate towards the grandstand opposite the old pits - the sight of the pack coming round La Source and then blasting off through Eau Rouge / Radillon is hugely worthwhile. This is especially true when the weather is well, Spa-ish. Seeing the development of the ball of spray as the cars go uphill is a sight to behold.

All that said though, I struggle to think of a bad place to watch at Spa - sure there'll be plenty of others willing and able to wade in with some opinions.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3516563)   #29
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
From a work point of view it looks like the guy at the back is taking the kerb off and the man in front is re-drilling them down, unsure why...

Im sad
I think you will find the guy at the back is drilling the holes using the kerb as a template. Then the guy at the front comes along and fixes them down.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 22:36 (Ref:3516575)   #30
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
All that said though, I struggle to think of a bad place to watch at Spa - sure there'll be plenty of others willing and able to wade in with some opinions.
I always like to do a lap around the race track. Between photographing and meeting friends, that usually takes up a good 6 hours of the race If you want to hang around at just one place, I recommend Bruxelles.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3516583)   #31
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
For the start of the 24 hours, the covered grandstand by the start is the best place by my reckoning. Top of Eau Rouge is good too, but you have to get there early and you miss a lot of the preparation (if you mean the 24h and not the 1000km). On top of the pit garages is also good if you have a paddock pass. I've never watched the start of a major race from beside the Kemmel Straight though, it's on my list to do.

The track is a nice one to walk though after the start, lots of good viewing spots. I usually do at least a couple of laps walking when there, one in each direction.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 02:30 (Ref:3516631)   #32
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Why would the RACB and FIA install something they considered dangerous?
I presume they don't consider them dangerous but it wouldn't be the first time curbing or these sausage humps have been installed on a track only for the F1 boys to turn up and say they're too dangerous and then they get removed. This usually happens at F1 circuits that don't get much use by anything other than F1 so no-one else complains.

However, Spa is in regular use and I can see these curbs causing either serious damage to a wayward car or causing a serious accident during a 'clubbie' meeting where the powers that be will take no notice of drivers concerns.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 18 Mar 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3516634)   #33
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
A comment on mulsanne corner facebook says this
Quote:
Apparently these are a temporary measure for the Trophee des Fagnes in a couple of weeks. The premise of the Trophee des Fagnes appears to be somewhere between Silverstone's Pomeroy Trophy, the 2CV 24 hours of Snetterton and a LeMons/Chumpcar banger race so anyone running onto those kerbs is unlikely to be going fast enough to take off!
Old 18 Mar 2015, 06:59 (Ref:3516659)   #34
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I think you will find the guy at the back is drilling the holes using the kerb as a template. Then the guy at the front comes along and fixes them down.

A modern day fixing incorporating a plug or thunder bolt would of been quicker, fix in place instead of taking them all off, plugging then placing back on then fixing.

Plugging first is a bygone era.
Old 18 Mar 2015, 07:44 (Ref:3516668)   #35
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A modern day fixing incorporating a plug or thunder bolt would of been quicker, fix in place instead of taking them all off, plugging then placing back on then fixing.

Plugging first is a bygone era.
The guy at the back is drilling the guy at the front is fixing - I don't see any evidence of plugging
Old 19 Mar 2015, 00:32 (Ref:3516967)   #36
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Im sad
They are changing the pattern from yellow / black to black/yellow.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3517000)   #37
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
They are changing the pattern from yellow / black to black/yellow.

Old 24 Mar 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3519003)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
on Twitter this morning Nicky Catsburg said Spa asked him to drive over the new bumps at 60kph. He said he wasn't a fan.....
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3519092)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
[cynic]
Quote:
Do you think these "rumble sections"have not been tried and tested by the FIA.
I would think that going by some past FIA decisions they probably haven't tested them, or at least not by chucking a car sideways at them which if you lose it there it's a good chance that's the angle you'll be hitting them.

Quote:
Why would the RACB and FIA install something they considered dangerous?
They've probably not considered it.
[/cynic]
Old 24 Mar 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3519142)   #40
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
on Twitter this morning Nicky Catsburg said Spa asked him to drive over the new bumps at 60kph. He said he wasn't a fan.....
These are all the Tweets from Catsburg...

"I just tried the new Eau Rouge cerbs with about 60kmh after being asked to do so by the officials. If safety is their concern this is .. 1/2"

"Definitly not the way to go. I agree on tracklimits concerns but think safety was what they had in mind when building this. 2/2"

"Also, does anyone remember the Spa 24h start in 2013. If we would have had these back then, it would have been a big mess."

"Haha update from Spa. Just took the cerbs at Eau Rouge with all 4 wheels in 5th gear. It is really not that bad. #havetobehonest #testdummy"

"So you don't want to hit them, but when you do, it is not that bad or dangerous. We are running lower then a GT3 at the moment."
Old 24 Mar 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3519152)   #41
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
These are all the Tweets from Catsburg...

"I just tried the new Eau Rouge cerbs with about 60kmh after being asked to do so by the officials. If safety is their concern this is .. 1/2"

"Definitly not the way to go. I agree on tracklimits concerns but think safety was what they had in mind when building this. 2/2"

"Also, does anyone remember the Spa 24h start in 2013. If we would have had these back then, it would have been a big mess."

"Haha update from Spa. Just took the cerbs at Eau Rouge with all 4 wheels in 5th gear. It is really not that bad. #havetobehonest #testdummy"

"So you don't want to hit them, but when you do, it is not that bad or dangerous. We are running lower then a GT3 at the moment."
Thanks, good to see some updates to the testing.