Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Sep 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3850822)   #126
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sutton drove like an idiot in R1 IMO, deserved a stiff slapping in the TOCA bus. The damage he did to his car ended his title challenge - BMR presumably failed to realise what he'd knackered/ fix it fully in time for R2.
Apparently they left something under the car and when they dropped it off the jacks it damaged the floor...
Old 16 Sep 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3850824)   #127
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
Apparently they left something under the car and when they dropped it off the jacks it damaged the floor...
Hope it wasn't a mechanic...
Old 16 Sep 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3850825)   #128
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Ooops! I did wonder how the floor had been damaged, I only saw him using the front end as a battering ram so assumed he'd only damaged easily replaced body panels.

Unrelated, but did the Subarus have new front bumpers this weekend? They looked different, although I could have imagined it!
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3850844)   #129
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Two Audis perhaps?
After the Jake Hill saga, something tells me AMD are not up for doing deals with Tony...
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3850845)   #130
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Unrelated, but did the Subarus have new front bumpers this weekend? They looked different, although I could have imagined it!
Yes! Glad someone else noticed it, they were all white rather than continuing the blue and black lines, yet still had the sponsor logos
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3850849)   #131
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Yes! Glad someone else noticed it, they were all white rather than continuing the blue and black lines, yet still had the sponsor logos
Only after race 1 though? Must've been spares?
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:53 (Ref:3850859)   #132
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Silverstone today. They've started checking bags at the gate but only certain types. There was a woman in front of me who put her handbag down, only to be told by the guy that it didn't need to be checked. Amazing security.

The racing was close and hard fought all day. The two F4 races were very good as the cars really suit faster, flowing circuits. It would be an excellent championship if it had more cars on the grid (come back, Carlin!).

The Porsches were definitely aided by the simplicity of the layout. There was a great battle in race 1 involving Dan Harper and only one car was lapped in race 2. The lapped car was, unsurprisingly, Fraser Robertson who spun off 3-4 times during the day and nearly caused an accident on one of his rejoins. I'll never understand why people like him are allowed to have racing licences, let alone race cars of this level of performance.

Only the one Junior race, which Foster ran away with, but it was pretty frantic behind him as usual.

The GT4s were more action packed than usual, but the series has always been hit and miss. An exciting lead battle and a nice photo finish for third in the first race of the day.

The Clios put on a typical Silverstone slip streamer. Quite how the field missed a spinning Zelos on lap 1 I'll never know, and there was a near-flip on the next lap. Clio's gonna Clio, I guess. An impressive double victory for Burns and it's nice to see Rivett at the top of the standings again, the master that he is.

The touring car races were by far the closest competitions all day, as you'd expect. Even at this late stage the season is still producing new winners, but there wasn't a great deal of change in the championship situation. Turkington and Ingram both showed their class again today, picking up a good haul of points. There are a couple of incidents I'm unsure about: I didn't see how Jelley went around in race 3 but it looked like Jackson was an innocent victim with nowhere to go. And I only caught a brief glimpse of a replay of the Pidgley incident. Was it contact with one of his teammates that sent him off? It's quite easy to miss things when you can see so much of the track and there's always something happening!

They moved the podium truck to the main straight for the final podium of the day, which is always a pleasant surprise. They should do this more often, it only adds to the openness and value for money that the BTCC provides.

I did have the misfortune, as usual, to be sat near a moron (I was in a public place after all). A man who, by his own admission, had been attending races for 20 years yet didn't know what a black & white flag was for. He did eventually figure it out but was then confused as to what offence the many drivers who were shown it may have committed. Hmm, what's that thing that gets talked about during every event around the world these days? People like him baffle me.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3850864)   #133
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
And I only caught a brief glimpse of a replay of the Pidgley incident. Was it contact with one of his teammates that sent him off? It's quite easy to miss things when you can see so much of the track and there's always something happening!
The Pidgley incident was an odd one, ive watched it back a couple of times, I dont see any contact, it looks like something at the rear just breaks and sends him round. The commentators said it was another VW but I am not so sure
Old 17 Sep 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3850886)   #134
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
I was at Silverstone today. They've started checking bags at the gate but only certain types. There was a woman in front of me who put her handbag down, only to be told by the guy that it didn't need to be checked. Amazing security.
They've been doing this for over a year (I think MotoGP 2017 was when it was introduced).

The rule is that bags larger than 20 litres are banned completely, and smaller bags are subject to random searches. This information is clearly available on the Silverstone website.

Quote:
And I only caught a brief glimpse of a replay of the Pidgley incident. Was it contact with one of his teammates that sent him off?
He was hit by Thompson. Just a racing incident though.

Quote:
They moved the podium truck to the main straight for the final podium of the day, which is always a pleasant surprise. They should do this more often, it only adds to the openness and value for money that the BTCC provides.
They've done this at Silverstone foe the last three years, and also do it at Brands Hatch.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 04:13 (Ref:3850923)   #135
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to be kind of ridiculous that ingram only wins with zero ballast
Old 17 Sep 2018, 06:27 (Ref:3850935)   #136
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
It seems to be kind of ridiculous that ingram only wins with zero ballast
He came second with 75kg.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3850942)   #137
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Turkington has used options tyres in:
Race 1 - x1
Race 2 - x3
Race 3 - x3

Ingram has used option tyres in:
Race 1 - x3
Race 2 - x2
Race 3 - x2

So Turkington has to use them in race 1, Ingram can use them in races 2 or 3.
Just to correct my own post as I missed out Snetterton
Turkington - 2/3/3 - so must run options in race 1
Ingram - 3/3/2 - so must run options in race 3
Old 17 Sep 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3850976)   #138
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Pidgley incident was an odd one, ive watched it back a couple of times, I dont see any contact, it looks like something at the rear just breaks and sends him round. The commentators said it was another VW but I am not so sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
He was hit by Thompson. Just a racing incident though.
Team Hard done by seem to think it was an AmD Audi.
Attached Thumbnails
harddoneby.PNG  
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3850979)   #139
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The AMD Audi was ahead of the VW (although a slight overlap) when the VW left the road. The right REAR suspension was broken on the VW, which the Audi wasn't overlapping. Thompson was closest to that corner when it happened.

He was certainly not fired off by the Audi. Perhaps there was contact before the camera shot and it broke once the cameras found it, but he certainly wasn't forced off the road by the Audi like that statement implies.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3851003)   #140
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
Team Hard done by seem to think it was an AmD Audi.
They would
Not going to criticise their build quality or driver when there's a convenient AMD car there
Old 17 Sep 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3851014)   #141
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They would
Not going to criticise their build quality or driver when there's a convenient AMD car there
In fairness, broken toe-links (or whatever in the suspension) are not exclusuve to team HARD. Rather, it seems to be a particularly weak part of the current rule-set - and is / must be frustrating for driver, team and spectator alike!!
Old 17 Sep 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3851070)   #142
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in post race 3 interview anyone noticed how Turks strongly emphasizes that he is more determined and has more reasons to win the title than his previous ones ?

maybe psychological warfare as Tingram was probably near him ?
Old 17 Sep 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3851073)   #143
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
in post race 3 interview anyone noticed how Turks strongly emphasizes that he is more determined and has more reasons to win the title than his previous ones ?

maybe psychological warfare as Tingram was probably near him ?
Hasn't he lost a very supportive close family member or friend sometime in this season?
(That was what I thought when I heard it. His voice seemed to crack and he looked emotional when he said it).
Old 17 Sep 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3851083)   #144
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Turks or Tingram are the kind to play mind games. Tingram seems relentlessly happy and positive even when things are going badly, and Turk is too classy for that. When those two were side by side, if it was anybody else it would've been a disaster. It was amazing how clean both were.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3851085)   #145
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hasn't he lost a very supportive close family member or friend sometime in this season?
(That was what I thought when I heard it. His voice seemed to crack and he looked emotional when he said it).
yes. his mum
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3851096)   #146
Div
Rookie

Div should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
His Mum a few months ago, the WSR long time truckie over the winter and add to that the long time chief mechanic has been in hospital most of the year. Been a rough year for them.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3851106)   #147
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh that makes more sense

but race 1 with full ballast and the hard tire, really fear for him being a sitting duck
Old 17 Sep 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3851115)   #148
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think both drivers are aware that driving is not the only part of the series that they are required to do, keeping the fans interested is also a major part. The massise rivalries we all enjoyed in previous seasons are embedded in our memories of those years.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3851117)   #149
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
anyone has the feeling that Rob Austin didn't really try to pass Tingram ?
He said that he probably could have gotten past Tom and try for a win but wanted to be respectful of their title fight. Also a very classy apology to Matt Neal on Twitter, so props to Rob.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 20:55 (Ref:3851141)   #150
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Did he apologise for the R1 incident, because that wasn’t his fault