Old 9 Sep 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2953373)   #76
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
RussBohaty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dtype,

Thanks for taking the time to write and share that with all of us. I copied your question below and answered it afterwards.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Read through the thread and I must admit I hesitated a lot before deciding to post. I see you're undoubtably enthusiastic about fitness, nutrition, and developing a wining attitude for motorsport. And that's great for people trying to make a name for themselves, particularly the young and talented. What I'm struggling with is how to apply your ideas at a much lower and less ambitious level in the world of motorsport. Being completely honest, the main problem is motivation.

A little background is probably in order: I drive a classic sports car in club events around the UK. I've developed the car over the years and as its performance increased it became more and more exhausting to drive. I read a book called Think to Win by Don Alexander and that gave me a lot of inspiration and a lot more focus. I took on a personal trainer and that was a great benefit, but as time went on and prices increased I couldn't afford to continue the sessions. Then I had a major accident and whilst I was unhurt, the car was a wreck. I've spent nearly two years rebuilding the car and in the mean time my fitness and attitude have slipped.... a lot. At a few weeks shy of 50 years old I'm not overweight (6'2" - 170lb) and my fitness is 'reasonable' but I'm definitely not as sharp or fit as I was. I'm back to struggling to keep up with the car.

I sort of know what I should be doing to get back on top but with no championships at stake, and no career to develop, I'm finding it hard to generate the motivation to do what needs to be done.

Any suggestions?

Dtype,

I am glad that you brought this question out for everyone. I think we can all agree that racing is a sport different from others in that it is impossible to do well if you aren't fully emotionally and mentally vested in what you are doing. Working out my way or any other way is only as good as the fully motivated person behind the workout.

I get more questions about the physical and not enough about the mental and emotional and how to maximize performance in those areas.

My suggestions:

--Upgrade your peer group. I am doubting you are around motivated people who share your aspirations and love of what you do. Prune your trees of stinker thinkers. If they happen to be people in your immediate family, limit your time around them.

--Think on paper. Write down your goals for tomorrow, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year and 5 years down the road. Start with the furthest out time frame first and work back to more recent. With the 5 year goals, don't worry about what you think is possible. With the more recent goals break down your 5 year goal into action steps. This not only creates accountability as far as what actions you should be taking but gets your mind geared towards what you want rather than what you don't. This is your new habit of thinking.

-- Be mindful of your media exposure. Replace your tv, radio, reading and internet habits with more positive and valuable information. Reading Mr. Alexander's book was a great start but consistency over time is the key to reprogramming our attitude which brings new actions and then better results. I highly recommend Brian Tracy's "Psychology of Achievement" either in audio or book form as a great starting point. The sad fact is that the media loaded with energy draining cynicism.

--Make a pact with yourself to write down the biggest difficulties in your life right now that are keeping you from where you want to be. Then make another pact to ask one person for help everyday in getting those difficulties solved. Men especially have a habit of going lone wolf in tough times. The reality is that none of us are self made. We all need a hand and it is usually as simple as seeking out the right people and asking.

--Get into a workout program, preferably a structured one. A structured workout program is best because it encourages accountability from start to finish and also encourages recording of results and goal setting. Exercise itself is very beneficial mentally in taking our minds off all the external junk going on in life. Here is the link to my Racers Workout Blueprint. http://budurl.com/mkh6

It is the actual workout portion of the Racers Workout.

My gift to you. You'll be so involved in what your doing and get results so quickly, I am betting you get inspired.

--Volunteer to help less fortunate people for an hour or two a week. One of the things about our tough times is the best medicine is to step outside ourselves and experience people who have it worse and take in their serenity in dealing with it. We can often be a prisoner to our goals and lose perspective. By this I mean that we take it all to seriously and don't fully enjoy the process towards achieving what we want. Many people could never even begin to do what we aspire to do because of some unfortunate condition or ailment. Yet they maintain great happiness and attitude. There is much we can learn from them.

Let me know if I am hitting the target for you here. If not, I'll keep trying until we get you what you need.

Look forward to your response.

Russ
Old 10 Sep 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2953419)   #77
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Russ, and thank you for getting back so promptly. I guess the first thing to say is that I finished reading your reply with a smile. You really do take "a positive attitude" to new levels. So, as you've taken the time to respond to my question, it's only fair I give you some feedback on your ideas.

--Upgrade your peer group.
See what you mean, but my family is what it is, and my friends are those I've chosen. I want to move "onward" not "upward". I would rather generate my own motivation, and if relatives and friends get inspired by that, then all the better.

--Think on paper.
Spot on with this one. "If I don't know where I'm trying to get to, how can I know what to do to achieve it!" At the mo, I don't even have an idea of something to write down. Will give it some thought.

-- Be mindful of your media exposure.
True, true. My family do tell me off shouting at the TV or Radio. But it's hard to watch the news without getting angry, or game shows without being cynical about how they work etc. etc. I'll try and cut down and maybe read Mr. Tracy's book in the extra time.

--Make a pact with yourself to write down the biggest difficulties...
I was going to write that my biggest difficulty right now is the long list of jobs waiting to be done on my racing car, and my other cars, and camper van, and in my garage, and in the garden, and around the house. But then I guess I have to admit, if that's the biggest difficulty in my life - I have it pretty easy. You see... you've got me thinking more positively already!

--Get into a workout program, preferably a structured one.
This is a must. I really must force myself to get to the gym. I have membership of a nice one and it's only just round the corner from my house. No excuse really. Thank you for the fitness program. I'll have a good read and set a date to start (although I'll probably have to reduce the size of the weights!)

--Volunteer to help less fortunate people for an hour or two a week.
Interesting idea. I'll take it under consideration.

Will let you know how I get on.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2953540)   #78
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Dtype,

If you need anything or have questions don't hesitate to email me at Russbohaty@gmail.com. Definitely keep me updated on your progress.

Russ
Old 24 Sep 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2960401)   #79
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Joey Saldana wins in his first race and proved me wrong

Ten-Tenths Racers,

I feel I should come clean. I was way wrong about one of my personal favorite Racers. On Wendnesday in the Auto Racers Workout Magazine, I stated that I was confident Joe Saldana would be back to full strength and competing in 2012. He must have thought I said before October 12. As most of you know, he not only returned but won in his return in Hartford. What a truly amazing achievement and performance by one of the most accomplished racers currently competing. Here is Wednesday’s post with my prediction http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...-with-updates/ and Friday’s with Joey’s post-race interview ( my thanks to the Woosprint.com site for the video) http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...ed-the-bullet/

Besides revealing how wrong I can be, the first article has information on my friend Carly Q and her Progeria Benefit this coming Friday the 30th. I hope you’ll read more about it and if you can help her in her battle against what is known as the premature aging disease, please do. She appreciates it so much.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2966682)   #80
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Talking about the will to prepare to win. The will that matters.

Hey Racers,

I have been out on the road the last couple weeks. I invite you to look at some of my favorite articles of a series on mental mastery and sign up for your Free subscription to my Auto Racers Fitness Magazine. It comes direct to your email in box 3 times a week. It is loaded with workout, nutrition and peak performance strategies to help you get more victories. Here is the link to an article about the power of having the will to PREPARE to win.

Looking forward to a big offseason for you to be really ready for 2012.

Russ
Old 20 Oct 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2974458)   #81
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Hi Ten Tenths Racers,

I wanna share this very self-serving article in the Auto Racing Fitness Magazine I got from a racer up North. He took the initiative with some of my ideas and put them to work. There's two points to take from it. One, he took action. Two, he followed a plan and was loyal to it. Also there is a link if you would like to talk about Racers Workout online and make some money doing it. It's our affiliate program and I am pretty fired up about it.

http://russbohaty.com/mailtime-volum...acers-workout/

http://racersworkoutaffiliate.info

Best,

Russ
Old 14 Nov 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2986221)   #82
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Hey Racers,

It’s offseason or getting close to it all over the country. Overseas, it might be middle of the season. Either way I wanted to make sure the focus in the Racers Workout Magazine is on little things you can do right now to make a huge impact on your fitness for the track and your results. Make sure you grab your free subscription too

This is an article on the power of super setting for ripped arms.

http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...acers-workout/

Here is an article on my most important rule of eating for peak performance and fitness

http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...proach-eating/
Old 2 Dec 2011, 23:46 (Ref:2994600)   #83
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
We're talking about rivalries. We like em'

Hey Racers,

Couple recent posts from Auto Racers Workout Magazine

We're talking about the importance of stretching for maximizing your results working out and on the track
http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...acers-workout/

and how about this? The importance of rivalries for stoking our competitive fire. We all have a an opponent or two or three that we can't stand. That's great. Do what he won't do to prepare and you'll beat him.

http://russbohaty.com/auto-racers-wo...itter-rivalry/

Here's something for you. Buy Racers Workout between now and Christmas and I'll add a third month of free trial for the workout. 90 days risk free. Mention this post to me when you buy.

http://www.racersworkout.com/sp/1107-fe1107
Old 27 Feb 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3031846)   #84
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Hey, just thought i'd drop in and give an update of my fitness endeavours.

For anyone that doubts the benefits to racing, take heed:

For the first time, i decided to take my fitness alot more seriously and set myself some goals over the winter, following some rather shabby performances towards the end of last year.

(i should mention - i race karts)

I have been consistantly hitting the gym (mostly cardio, some weights) for an hour 3 times a week and the odd 20 mile bike ride at weekends. I lost over 5kg since November and feel alot stronger and more agile.

First race back this weekend and it was like i was a different driver. Consistantly fast over a long stint, had more capacity to find ultimate pace instead of just 'hanging on' and had more time to plan overtakes etc.

I am thrilled at the results and it has given me even more focus to increase the regime for the future. I am racing in the Le Mans Kart24h in June so need to be quick for loooong stints.

I have kept an eye on this thread and read some of the articles over time and they have given me good ideas of things to try. The sorts of services that Russ offer's shouldn't be underestimated.
Old 2 Mar 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3033963)   #85
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Peat,

Thanks for sharing your progress.

The big thing I see from your regimen is very good consistency. Mark Martin of NASCAR is a guy that seems to get better and stronger with age. He says it is because he is.

The benefits of good exercise and nutrition habits for racers compound over time, so you get ever increasing returns for your efforts.

This is especially true if you commit to changing up your routine every couple weeks. Your body really responds to different challenges.

Thanks again Peat.

Russ
Old 13 Mar 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3040262)   #86
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geting Fit

Dear Russ,

First of all I think it's important to point out that I am 75kg and 170cm, also I race karts. I was wondering if you could provide me with a plan in order for me to get slightly lighter and fitter in 3 weeks, seeing that is when I will be having my first real, big race. I know miracles don't happen, but I was hoping I could improve my fitness slightly as I believe that would greatly improve my performance. As always your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3041768)   #87
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Hi Rookie,

Can you post what your current exercise regimen is and also what you are eating? Sometimes very slight adjustments that are easily implemented have huge payback.

I definitely have some ideas to get you rolling.

You can also message me if you prefer.

Russ
Old 16 Mar 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3042344)   #88
lovef1
Rookie

Dear Russ,

I won't lie, my diet is not the healthiest, i often feast on junk food when I'm in college. however when I'm home every Thursday to Sunday, I eat home cooked meals. I don't have a strict exercise regimen, I just jog 1 mile every other day. I realize this is not ideal training for a person who wants to pursue racing as a career, but I am willing to change. As always, your assistance is very much appreciated Russ...
Old 17 Mar 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3042706)   #89
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Hi love F1,

Would it be possible to prepare your meals for the entire week ahead of time? it's a practice a lot of my elite racers undertake. This helps keep them eating the right things and since everything is pre-made, there aren't the time issues where you are rushed and hit fast food.

I think the running is good as an exercise for losing weight and getting fit. Check out my post on interval running on Russ Bohaty.com. Incorporate those principles into your running regimen. http://russbohaty.com/mail-time-volu...-female-racer/ (this is a post where we talk about interval running)

Shoot me a message with your email address and I'll forward you a copy of my top fuel nutrition guide as well. You'll get huge results if you did nothing else beyond eating better and added interval principles to your running schedule.

Russ
Old 17 Mar 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3042760)   #90
lovef1
Rookie

Dear Russ,

My e-mail is azraaiyunos@yahoo.com