Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Mar 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3037307)   #1
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Perfect Race Start

Some footage from a recent Race Driver Training day I did at Blyton Park that I thought might interest readers here.

Part of the days program was working with the race drivers on Race Starts. For many drivers the number of race starts they've done is equal to the number of races the've done.

If you can master the race start you can make up 3-4 places and sometimes more, if you fluff it that means 3-4 places lost and you are then in a totally different race. If on pole it can often give you the breathing space for a few corners by which time your opponents may be fighting and a race win is then just a question of getting your head down and setting some decent laps and take the flag.

The prefect start requires quick reactions but more than this a great launch. It is generally regarded (and has actually been studied) that the perfect launch requires 11% tyre slippage, which means the wheel needs to rotate 11% faster than the road speed.

A tyre gives more grip when it is sliding slightly which is the same for braking as well as cornering, as well as acceleration.

The first video shows a RWD Mazda MX5 doing a very good start, perfect? who knows but you can see the weight transfer, the tyre slip and eventual bite, in a more powerful car this would have lasted longer. In a FWD car it's the same although you don't have the extra traction generated by the rearward weight transfer. Hence a RWD car will always get a better launch than a FWD car.

You can then see how much it helps this driver in a real life competitive start.

In the 2nd video you can see more of the practice session, a rare chance to get so close to cars being launched from the grid.

Perfect Race Start (inc Slo Mo analysis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKfEjxvCRg

Race Start Practice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4RWR4ejP8

Malcolm
Old 9 Mar 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3037595)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Is the engine note in the video the car we are watching? If so there seems to be an initial dip in revs then pick up as the weight transfers and the tyres start to slip. Is that done by slipping the clutch slightly, or is it a clutch side-step and purely throttle control?
Old 9 Mar 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3037602)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK View Post

If you can master the race start you can make up 3-4 places and sometimes more,
Malcolm
That's all very nice but I find I qualify where I do for a reason, I'm crap. Not sure about 4 places but I can often make up four rows with some of my starts, the trouble is I lose them all again during the next lap or so.

I have a torquey engine so I use just enough revs to get the car rolling and then control wheel slip with the throttle, the rest is just down to reaction time to the lights going out.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3037696)   #4
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Is the engine note in the video the car we are watching? If so there seems to be an initial dip in revs then pick up as the weight transfers and the tyres start to slip. Is that done by slipping the clutch slightly, or is it a clutch side-step and purely throttle control?
If it's the sound in the slo-mo sections then i'm not sure the video editor software is sync'ing that properly. In saying that there is a dip in engine revs which I think you'd expect as the clutch starts to bite and the initial weight transfer happens.

Malcolm
Old 9 Mar 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3037733)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If it's the sound in the slo-mo sections then i'm not sure the video editor software is sync'ing that properly. In saying that there is a dip in engine revs which I think you'd expect as the clutch starts to bite and the initial weight transfer happens.

Malcolm
I wondered about that because I usually add power and slip the clutch to prevent engine revs dipping as I get the car rolling. Perhaps that's my mistake, and why I'm slow off the line compared to Tim.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3037746)   #6
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
I wondered about that because I usually add power and slip the clutch to prevent engine revs dipping as I get the car rolling. Perhaps that's my mistake, and why I'm slow off the line compared to Tim.
Actually, I think a little clutch slip is also beneficial but not an exact science as clutches, flywheels, gearboxes vary so much.

Also, to get an even better start, in a RWD car with a working handbrake you'd hold the handbrake on as you ease the clutch up, such that you get that 'dip' you see in the video and hold it there .... letting off the handbrake as you bring the clutch further up and at the same time press the gas pedal ... looks ugly if you get it wrong though! and if the handbrake stays on ... prepare to be 'boarded' 8-@
Old 9 Mar 2012, 23:29 (Ref:3037756)   #7
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
That's all very nice but I find I qualify where I do for a reason, I'm crap. .
It must be a SE London / Kent borders thing.

My tactic is to qualify 3 or 4 places/rows higher than I should with that well prepared car and a freek quick lap; then on the grid approach, take it out of first, wiggle it a bit, then wonder why the hell I did that, then put it back in and check its engaged (sneaking a cheeky yard in the process) then look up to see the light has already changed, so importantly, knowing that you are only on 30-50% revs, dump the clutch like a dodky korma and sit there for a few seconds, thus ensuring you are back with your old mates at the back of the grid, ready for the dream fightback through the pack !!!

Easy Peasy - who needs datathingamyanalysiswhatsists!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3037762)   #8
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
LOL
Old 10 Mar 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3037846)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Lol. In one series I raced in it wasn't uncommon for good drivers to improve the "excitement" of their race by pottering round in qualifying, not try too hard at the start, then make "spectacular" progress through the field. Trouble is the idea caught on and we were in danger of actually building reverse grids. In the end the organisers had to start awarding championship points for qualifying positions to sort it out.

More seriously, the point you make about practicing starts is important. You say that for some the number of race starts they've done is equal to the number of races they've entered. This is particularly true for series that don't have a green flag lap, but would it also be true to say that "practice starts" aren't actually allowed on track (other than if there's a green flag lap) or is that just F1?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3038019)   #10
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Lol. In one series I raced in it wasn't uncommon for good drivers to improve the "excitement" of their race by pottering round in qualifying, not try too hard at the start, then make "spectacular" progress through the field. Trouble is the idea caught on and we were in danger of actually building reverse grids. In the end the organisers had to start awarding championship points for qualifying positions to sort it out.

More seriously, the point you make about practicing starts is important. You say that for some the number of race starts they've done is equal to the number of races they've entered. This is particularly true for series that don't have a green flag lap, but would it also be true to say that "practice starts" aren't actually allowed on track (other than if there's a green flag lap) or is that just F1?
Not officially allowed and definitley not on the grid In fact you very rarely see drivers who do have a green flag lap doing a practice start.

AFAIK there is a specific painted 'box' for F1 Free Practice where they can do practice starts.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3038022)   #11
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I suspect that the Post Chiefs/Flaggies may well take a dim view on people stopping and doing a practice start on a green flag lap. im not 100% on whether there is a specific rule about it though. it would certainly merit me writing a pit report if you did one in the pit lane or in the assembly area in my opinion

Quote:
AFAIK there is a specific painted 'box' for F1 Free Practice where they can do practice starts.
Yep they have a special box that they are allowed to use during practice sessions and maybe before the race start but im not sure
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3038033)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
I suspect that the Post Chiefs/Flaggies may well take a dim view on people stopping and doing a practice start on a green flag lap. im not 100% on whether there is a specific rule about it though.
There is a specific rule for green flag laps, Q12.14. Practice starts are frowned on at any time - I've had a couple of drivers invited to Race Control for practice starts on the "cooling down" lap of qualifying sessions.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3038042)   #13
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
I suspect that the Post Chiefs/Flaggies may well take a dim view on people stopping and doing a practice start on a green flag lap. im not 100% on whether there is a specific rule about it though. it would certainly merit me writing a pit report if you did one in the pit lane or in the assembly area in my opinion.
Mattt, good grief, yes stopping on the green flag a def no, no. What I meant was when a driver takes off after the initial grid formation to start the green flag lap.

As Dave said, they are still frowned upon in this scenario as, at best it delays the start of the formation lap with drivers 'waiting for space' but at worse driver A in 6th pos tries his 'demon' start right behind driver B in 4th pos who doesn't get off the line and ... oops.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3038047)   #14
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mattt, good grief, yes stopping on the green flag a def no, no. What I meant was when a driver takes off after the initial grid formation to start the green flag lap.

As Dave said, they are still frowned upon in this scenario as, at best it delays the start of the formation lap with drivers 'waiting for space' but at worse driver A in 6th pos tries his 'demon' start right behind driver B in 4th pos who doesn't get off the line and ... oops.
i just completely misread it (my bad)

I have actually seen the second part of it happen with a couple of very close shaves at the start of the green flag lap
Old 10 Mar 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3038057)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Well if not on the track, or in the pit lane, where do we practice starts.... in the garage?
Attached Thumbnails
Stripes.JPG  
Old 11 Mar 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3038096)   #16
Pure Fiater
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Pure Fiater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Listen to your engine revs, watch the lights to fade, (lights to go off and your to late) and dump the left peddle.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 04:13 (Ref:3038139)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
go sprinting and hillclimbing, plenty of practice starts possible there...
Old 12 Mar 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3038675)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Fiater View Post
Listen to your engine revs, watch the lights to fade, (lights to go off and your to late) and dump the left peddle.
Then at least you won't have far to walk to pick up your driveshafts from the side of the track

I was just about to post about speed events but MGD beat me to it, guess where we cut our teeth?

Re the clutch slip, one of the illegal things to do to Rotax Max clutches is to oil them up so they slip at low revs then bite with a bang a bit later with the engine spinning more. If it's illegal it must be a good dodge then
Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3045716)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Read this thread with some interest as although I've done 3 seasons racing I've never done a race start........as I've always run in CSCC two-driver races as second driver and pit-lane speed limits tend to militate against full bore starts from the pits......although I did leave a perfect "11" in the Cadwell pits one time after the car had needed a bump start..engine caught, nearly stalled and I gave it some revs and "gently" fed in the clutch......fortunately its a short pit-lane so I don't think I broke the limit.....
Old 16 Apr 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3060226)   #20
Stainless Steve
Rookie

England
Meopham Kent
Stainless Steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my 2nd race start on saturday at Lydden, had to start at the back because of a DNF in the first race

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/a...l2012_0002.mp4

Quite happy with that, class win and quickest 7 overall.

Last edited by Stainless Steve; 16 Apr 2012 at 13:43.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3060253)   #21
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Steve,

Indeed a cracking start. Not a conventional start (revving as opposed to holding revs) but it did work for you (prob had a 50% chance of not though).

What did it was your reaction time, it made the other guys seem half asleep

Maxx
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3060254)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Can you teach me to do that please?
Old 16 Apr 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3060497)   #23
Stainless Steve
Rookie

England
Meopham Kent
Stainless Steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll bear that in mind in the future Maxx, I've never done it any other way.
Stems back from years of bike racing and the fact that I've got a bike engine, albeit turbocharged.
I'll try your method next time and thanks for your advice.