Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 11 Jun 2002, 20:53 (Ref:311005)   #26
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or how about HRH Prince Michael of Kent along with James Hunt on the Tour of Britain.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 21:07 (Ref:311024)   #27
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't realise you did that one Rod. what were you driving?
Hunt was in a Camaro if I remember or was it the year after when he drove an RS2000?
I remember going to a stage at Knebworth House.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 20:31 (Ref:313877)   #28
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Ford Capri,did it twice. Funny how things come back around having just raced a Ford Capri at the Nurburgring weekend before last. The "Tour" took in a stage at a partly surfaced Donington in the dark.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 01:18 (Ref:314687)   #29
Kevin F
Rookie

Kevin F should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My dad used to race against jaques villeneuve, john & jeff andretti, and a few CART guys whose names i cant remember back when he raced formula atlantics.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 16:00 (Ref:314974)   #30
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button->at Genk he used to work there.i drove arround 10 laps just after him,i managed to follow his pace but i asked to much of my tires at the end of the session and i was really pushing and eventually i ran wide at the hairpin and had to watch him win the race.That guy was a rocket...and so consistend.
Old 16 Jun 2002, 22:38 (Ref:315125)   #31
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a racer but ive raced against Justin Wilson, Peter Dumbreck, Andrew Kirkaldy, Darren Turner, Robbie Kerr and Topi Serjala at indoor karting in northampton and my team came second to last.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 09:41 (Ref:315289)   #32
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced against Rob Jones in the Winton 24hr in 1992. But getting off this slightly I had the priverlage of working on Bob Holdens number 73 Corolla at Bathurst in 1991 when he had Ranuo AAlltonen co driving with him. The guy is absoult gentlman and some of the Storys about the Monte Carlo Rallies and being a test driver for BMW and driving cuircuts around the world were great.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 20:57 (Ref:318419)   #33
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
part 1. In the late seventies / early eighties I raced against severeral of the great drivers - well nearly great. They were Tim Lee Davey,Desire Wilson and Mike Wilds, to name just the ones I can remember. You must all be wondering who this Shawn person is and why haven't I heard of him. All I can say is that if you were at Hadlow Scalextric Club during this time you may well have done. Some Scalextric Club this was wasn't it with all these 'famous' members ??
Wrong ! They were all special guests at the annual prize givings, and afterwards were all given the chance to have there back sides kicked by the winners in a race.
The year I met ( and beat ) Mike he was so impressed he offered to give me a ride around Brands Hatch in an XR3i !!
To boy of 10 this seemed pretty quick, but then in hindsight it probably was as he had to wipe that smug race winners grin of my face. You see racing drivers have that special advantage of being able to scare the wotsit out of there passengers. But I must say that Mike was a bloody nice bloke and my Dad stayed friends with him for years after wards.
part 2. Mid Eighties I raced Formula Six Karts !! wow! what?
Kart chassis with a 5 or 7 bhp Briggs and Straton (lawnmower)engine bolted to it.There I raced and occationally beat a certain Mark Marchant - the Formula Ford driver. Apparantly Ian Flux used to race the same karts although this was before my time.
part 3. This doesn't count but my cousin raced 125cc Karts that was built by Alan Eastwood and Alan had Johnny Herbert working for him at the time.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 13:37 (Ref:324225)   #34
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, I can now add another name to my long list, it seems racing against me is a sure fire way of eventually becoming a very minor celebrity.

Several years ago, Grant Elliott, a very promising newcomer in Historic Touring car racing, brought his XU1 Torana up to Qld and had a run at our Lakeside Histoirc meeting and a couple of weeks ago he won Race 1 of the Konica V8 round at Oran Park
Old 1 Jul 2002, 14:28 (Ref:325187)   #35
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my first 2 races Win Percy was competing!! Although (hopefully!) this will be the other way round as I am a complete novice and the race was in May of this year!!

Tried to 'tag on' behind him and learn something, but in truth he was just smoother and more committed into a couple of the corners - sheer magic and genius.

:-)
Old 14 Jul 2002, 20:52 (Ref:333833)   #36
doug
Rookie

doug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
right I have to get in on this one... Alex Yoong in 1999, Daley Thompson, plus Louise Goodman and Tony Jardine in the same race, Vickhy Butler Henderson, and a good friend of mine (NOT) who took me right out of the race, bloody Jamie Whitham (super bikes) all of these apart from Jamie I have beaten on my way to being championship winner in 2000 (Proton Coupe's)
Old 14 Jul 2002, 21:08 (Ref:333850)   #37
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a good one on the tannoy at croft, Westley Barber raced karts against Prince's Harry and William
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:32 (Ref:341589)   #38
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That seems to get mentioned everywhere was at Brands at the start of the season.
Old 20 May 2004, 05:44 (Ref:976112)   #39
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can now add a Bathurst winner to my list. Bo Seton!
Old 20 May 2004, 06:25 (Ref:976129)   #40
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow , this has been dragged up from the past

some very impressive names on peoples lists as well.

my list is as follows.

1.Steve Owen (then FFord , Now V8 supercars)

2.Melinda Price (then super touring I think , since V8 supercars , nothing now i think)

3.Cameron Shearer (then f Ford and a very qucik driver , now dunno)

4. Kim Jones (manager for Brad Jones racing in v8 supercar)

and my latest addition to my list is.

5. Marcus Zukanovic (then was just in karts , now in V8 supercar Konica series)

Zukanovic is amazing and I think he has a big future in v8's , I remember he was huge (no offense MZ ) but he was racing in clubman light and was at least 20 - 25 kg's heavier than everyone but still managed to get on the podium. I spoke to his father I think it was after the race and he said they were looking at going V8 racing the next year , it took a few more years than they though but marcus has finally landed a V8 drive and is doing very well indeed.

ho hum , meanwhile ive retired from driving but ive beaten mark Skaife of v8 supercars 2
Old 20 May 2004, 07:13 (Ref:976163)   #41
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Mansell, David Leslie, Sean Walker, Alex Hawkridge, the Toleman brothers - all in the Dunlop "Star of tomorrow" FF1600 series in 1976.

Never finished in front of Leslie or Walker, but I did beat Mansell at Castle Coombe, where I was 4th or 5th, one place ahead of the future Champ.

Not a masssive difference between any of us in this novice series, but Mansell had so much self belief, he sold his house to fund his following year's racing.

Realising that I was short on talent, I bought a new fridge and carpets to pacify my wife!

John

Last edited by johnw; 20 May 2004 at 07:17.
Old 20 May 2004, 07:36 (Ref:976199)   #42
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ok you win
Old 20 May 2004, 07:55 (Ref:976223)   #43
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent! I never did in FF
Old 20 May 2004, 08:55 (Ref:976275)   #44
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O.K, from my karting days (1981 - 1998)
In no particular order

Jonny Herbert
Jason Plato
David Coulthard
Allan McNish
Dario Franchitti
Robert Jenkinson
Jamie Hunter
Guy Smith
Darren Manning
Anthony Davidson
Ralph Firmin
Dannt Watts

These are the ones that immediately come to mind.

All goood guys, (However,McNish developed some rather poor people skills as he got older)

Steve McQueen
Old 20 May 2004, 11:15 (Ref:976416)   #45
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ever Revinn Kevin....

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F
My dad used to race against jaques villeneuve, john & jeff andretti, and a few CART guys whose names i cant remember back when he raced formula atlantics.
or....Big Rev Kev (Bartlett that is) aussie driver of some note....

Welcome Kevin....spin us some stories, steal em from your Dad if necessary
Old 20 May 2004, 11:49 (Ref:976454)   #46
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I have raced against Tony Jardine and some desinger bloke called Newey on a couple of occasions.
I managed to out qualify Mr Jardine once but I think he must have been learning the lines form me as he lapped me in the race
Old 27 May 2004, 18:20 (Ref:985336)   #47
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a racer. But did win a day out at a McLaren test day few years ago, in the days when the Grand Prix drivers themselves did the testing. Had a great day and meet
Damon Hill, Michael Schumacher, Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichelo, Mikka Hakkinen, Mark Blundell and David Coulthard. All very nice guys except Coulthard - think he was having a bad day. It was also nice to meet Ron Dennis, Eddie Jordan, Adrian Newey and Patrick Head.
Old 27 May 2004, 20:15 (Ref:985426)   #48
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to "play" at kart racing (ie the indoor stuff and some other shorter outdoor stuff). Tim Sugden taught me (on slicks in heavy rain, as well as once in the snow - again on slicks!) and I raced against him, Pete Hardman, Richard Dean (when he drove F3000), Scott Stringfellow (when he raced F3), Warren Hughes, Steve and Andy Hepworth. I have to say I didn't win and I'm still convinced that they all cheated!!

I was once in the same team as Steve and Andy Hepworth and Pete Hardman at a 24 hour Kart race somewhere in Yorkshire. We didn't win that either!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 12:36 (Ref:992651)   #49
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've raced in a charity kart race with Jenson Button, Robbie Williams, Phil Bennett (who got blacked flagged for an abbusive hand gesture to the clerk of course), Anthony Davidson, Johnny Herbert and more!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 20:22 (Ref:993142)   #50
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Grahame West
Not a racer. But did win a day out at a McLaren test day few years ago, in the days when the Grand Prix drivers themselves did the testing.
They still do.