Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:39 (Ref:896401)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Speed Channel People -- Brazil 1994 Tonight!

Before tuning in to find out whether TGF wins or whether TGF wins, if you can get Speed Channel, tune in at 8:30 EST for a look at the 1994 Brazilizn Grand Prix and remind yourself what F1 is supposed to look like. And to get another look at Senna albeit in a terrible car.

Not to mention another look at TGF in a mullet.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:46 (Ref:896404)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to have that race on tape for some reason (i never tape the grand prixs)
My most vivid memory of it is that huge accident Brundle, Irvine and Verstappen had...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 00:49 (Ref:896406)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just watched the BBC highlights of it last week, and it really brings home to me how important Senna was to Brazil. The support was fantastic.......and it's really weird watching him drive that Williams, the car he was to die in.

When he spun out the crowd left in spades! Totally lost interest!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 01:43 (Ref:896421)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other thing i remember is how many more teams there were, Simtek, Larrouse, Ligier, Lotus, Tyrell, Footwork (Arrows), Pacific. All gone now.

Last edited by pirenzo; 7 Mar 2004 at 01:43.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 01:48 (Ref:896426)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They still had pre qualifying I think!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 01:59 (Ref:896432)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
nope no pre qualifying in 94 , that stopped towards the end of 92.

they had qualifying and 2 cars failed to qualify in brazil 94.

Ratzenberger in the Simtek and Belmondo in the Pacific.

was an interesting race and the big crash was just a terrible thing to see.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 02:12 (Ref:896440)   #7
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sick of Liz' comments about F1 always being an insult...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 02:58 (Ref:896448)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stephen, we don't really appreciate such comments here.

I caught the broadcast and it was swell. Almost as much fun as I remember.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 04:54 (Ref:896521)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did anyone catch a look at Brabham?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 05:19 (Ref:896547)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: For Speed Channel People -- Brazil 1994 Tonight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Before tuning in to find out whether TGF wins or whether TGF wins, if you can get Speed Channel, tune in at 8:30 EST for a look at the 1994 Brazilizn Grand Prix and remind yourself what F1 is supposed to look like...
Who won the Brazilian GP in 1994?

The cars do look a lot better. However the racing in '94 was not amazing amazing. Not that much different to now - in fact I think teh mid '90s was pretty poor in that respect.

However in 1994 they had just banned TC etc... which is nice

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Mar 2004 at 05:24.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 05:44 (Ref:896575)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Stephen, we don't really appreciate such comments here.
I'm with you Stephen...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 05:48 (Ref:896581)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyway, we could just talk about Brazil 1994...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 06:19 (Ref:896628)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: For Speed Channel People -- Brazil 1994 Tonight!

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Who won the Brazilian GP in 1994?

However in 1994 they had just banned TC etc... which is nice
They had banned everything that Williams had developed, putting them behind the 8-ball.

Senna qualified .3 of a second ahead of this German bloke, and after a very "quick" fuel stop, this German dude got in the lead, and Senna spun off letting schumacher win by 1 lap over hill. 4 laps ahead of BRABHAM!

edit: I don't like talking about this year, but check out the grid.
Senna 1:15.962 (Williams)
Schumacher 1:16.290 (Benetton)
Alesi 1:17.385 (Ferrari)
Hill 1:17.554 (Williams)
Frentzen 1:17.806 (Sauber)
Morbidelli(!) 1:17.886 (Footwork)

Last edited by Hazza; 7 Mar 2004 at 06:23.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:55 (Ref:896909)   #14
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frentzen 5th on the grid, on his GP debut as well. I'd forgotten that. And that Arrows was a seriously good car, butthey couldnt afford to develop it, so it was near the tail end by the end of the year.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:06 (Ref:896926)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Oh and with '94 with the raft of changes, some of the smaller teams got shafted, particuarly after one team bought a bunch of stuff of williams (Aerodynamic stuff) only for it all to be outlawed 3 races later...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:897200)   #16
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: For Speed Channel People -- Brazil 1994 Tonight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
... a look at the 1994 Brazilizn Grand Prix and remind yourself what F1 is supposed to look like.
Watched it and enjoyed it, although maybe I didn't pay enough attention because I failed to see much of a difference in the quality of the drivers or the racing between then and now. Schumacher looked great, Senna made a bad mistake, Verstappen caused an unnecessary accident that was blamed on Irv the Swerve. Lot's of neat sparks flying out from the untertrays. What else did I miss?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 21:07 (Ref:897410)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I watched the Speed Channel rebroadcasts this past winter of the 1993 season. While there was some additional action (sparks, slicks etc) the actual racing was almost the same as now: a few well-funded teams dominating the races and more often than not a parade.

When David Hobbs and Steve Matchett reviewed the grids pre-race there were indeed more teams. Unfortunately most of them were so far off the pace it was ridiculous. More teams made for more traffic, but not necessarily more/better racing. Their assessments and memories of the quality of many of those teams is a valuable reminder that more is not necessarily better.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.