Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Sep 2021, 19:09 (Ref:4073409)   #101
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
entry fee aside, I think IMSA doesn't want to tie with small manufacturers that can't garantuee a mid-long term commitment to the series, with all the consequences that this entails. Personally I would allow to race whoever manages to pay the entry fee, doesn't matter if big/medium/small manufacturers or private team/tuner.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:24 (Ref:4073451)   #102
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Nobody can guarantee mid-long term commitment. Especially not the big OEMs, whose commitment may change from "in for the foreseeable future" to "pulling out effective immediately" in the space of one corporate meeting, while team personnel are mid-flight on their way to a major motor race.

The simple truth is big OEMs' PR people are not comfortable with "some no-names" challenging their cars on track. This is the same reason why generic LMP2 cars are no longer allowed to race on par with OEM-branded LMP2 cars in IMSA. IMSA caved to OEM pressure, clearly at the detriment to racing, and effectively killed LMP2 in America.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:39 (Ref:4073455)   #103
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree about the last sentence, lmp2 never had big numbers in US like in europe, it's not something related to OEM IMSA policy to me.
Anyway guess IMSA can bask in reflected glory with any big OEM involved.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 23:57 (Ref:4073501)   #104
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Now to muddy the waters further, SC365 is reporting that Audi Sport might still have a presence in IMSA with a factory team. However, it also confirms that Audi of America (as Marshall Pruett and Graham Goodwin have suggested) is the sticking point, and IMSA is trying to convince Audi of America to back a WRT-run program.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/l...ay-notebook-5/
Old 13 Sep 2021, 00:54 (Ref:4073502)   #105
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doesn't surprise me at all, they're ALL in with the e-trons and racing doesn't fit that idea in the all mighty marketing departments sadly
Old 13 Sep 2021, 02:09 (Ref:4073517)   #106
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
I don't agree about the last sentence, lmp2 never had big numbers in US like in europe, it's not something related to OEM IMSA policy to me.
I think he was referring to the fact that the first year LMP2 and DPI were supposed to be on even footing the Core Autosport car frequently challenged for wins.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 02:13 (Ref:4073519)   #107
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Originally LMP2 were part of the top class, even though usually with unfair BoP favouring DPi cars.

It's hard to dispute that having a few more cars in the top class and a prospect of big international LMP2 teams coming over for big races to try and win overall is better than having a smaller top class, with LMP2 becoming a place for 2 wealthy gentlemen to have a track day while there's a race going on*.
But this meant something called an Oreca can defeat an (Oreca that has stickers which say) Acura. OEMs don't like that kind of thing, IMSA happy to oblige.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 13 Sep 2021 at 02:19. Reason: *Although I'll admit it looked a little better today.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 02:20 (Ref:4073521)   #108
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
IMSA decided to double down and make sure the Glickenhaus can't run their car in the US in 2023.

***IMSA has updated its sporting regulations to reflect the definition of a manufacturer, which now states that the OEM must not only be recognized as an “IMSA Official Automotive Partner” but also have an “annual production of 2,500 or more vehicles for public consumption and public road use” in order to be eligible in the WeatherTech Championship.

From S365, sounds like confirming in the regs what they'd be telling people were the rules.
What if Glick did a rebrand with a big manufacturer that already pays IMSA "automotive partner fee"? That way the car still competes but is just called something else? Not sure who that would be, but just throwing out the possibility of to get around that rule! Could it be a manufacturer in GTD, or GS, or TCR?

I mean it seems like imsa is going out of its way to make sure the click cannot run in the series, so I think it would be funnier for them to go around IMSA with their own rules and just put the car in under a different name.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 04:18 (Ref:4073534)   #109
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
What if Glick did a rebrand with a big manufacturer that already pays IMSA "automotive partner fee"? That way the car still competes but is just called something else? Not sure who that would be, but just throwing out the possibility of to get around that rule! Could it be a manufacturer in GTD, or GS, or TCR?

I mean it seems like imsa is going out of its way to make sure the click cannot run in the series, so I think it would be funnier for them to go around IMSA with their own rules and just put the car in under a different name.
Good point that you are marking, Could it be Ford?
I guess they want to race against Cadillac and Dodge, I know Jim has a MKIV 1967 in his collection, and I think I have read that Pipo engine was based on the Ford Rally engine.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 07:52 (Ref:4073560)   #110
canaglia
Veteran

yes 007 engine is basically made by 2 WRC L4 joint together, btw if am not wrong, street 003 uses the m6 4.4L turbo engine, while 004 use GM v8 and nissan gt-r v6 turbo... maybe the minimum production rule could be bypassed by making some little rebadging...
Old 13 Sep 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4073563)   #111
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Originally LMP2 were part of the top class, even though usually with unfair BoP favouring DPi cars.

It's hard to dispute that having a few more cars in the top class and a prospect of big international LMP2 teams coming over for big races to try and win overall is better than having a smaller top class, with LMP2 becoming a place for 2 wealthy gentlemen to have a track day while there's a race going on*.
But this meant something called an Oreca can defeat an (Oreca that has stickers which say) Acura. OEMs don't like that kind of thing, IMSA happy to oblige.

can't say bop was so unfair considering core #54 didn't win 2018 IMSA for just 3 points with their oreca 07 against dpi cars... it was from 2019 that dpi got some extra hp and lmp2 lost power, but that was irrelevant since the prototypes class was split in dpi and lmp2.
Anyway core, jdc, dragonspeed, pr1 and sod aside can't remember other recent american lmp2 teams, back in 2014-2016 there were only msr and esm with their HPD cars and HPD powered ligier, mazda speedsource with their lolas and oreca mmp that ran just few races in 2014. Even in last years of ALMS there were few lmp2 around. US never had many lmp2 in general.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 14:24 (Ref:4073642)   #112
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Good point that you are marking, Could it be Ford?
I guess they want to race against Cadillac and Dodge, I know Jim has a MKIV 1967 in his collection, and I think I have read that Pipo engine was based on the Ford Rally engine.
Well, one cannot just take someone else's name. Ford would have to become part of the project. And they seem to have lost interest in sports car racing.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 18:47 (Ref:4073705)   #113
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Well, one cannot just take someone else's name. Ford would have to become part of the project. And they seem to have lost interest in sports car racing.
Yes, the new manufacturer would have to rehomologate the car under the new name. But compared to the price of building a new project from scratch, I'm sure the price could be tempting.

Plus Glick said he would be open to selling chassis to other manufacturers for projects if they wanted.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 19:47 (Ref:4073710)   #114
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ford has lost interest in everything but convincing us Mustang is a brand (it is not), the new Bronco does not leak (it does like it doesn't have a top on), the new GM/Ford 10 speed is great (it most assuredly is NOT) and that racing sucks (Ford family seems to have been ticked off at Indy and it's just getting worse each year for everyone)
Old 15 Sep 2021, 21:51 (Ref:4074136)   #115
Tique
Racer

France
Paris
Tique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think he was referring to the fact that the first year LMP2 and DPI were supposed to be on even footing the Core Autosport car frequently challenged for wins.
And JDC too. I recall that CORE Autosport was close to win the championship a couple of years ago.
Old 22 Sep 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4075060)   #116
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Lexus has confirmed a GT Pro and GT Am entry next season with Vasser Sullivan. No word on drivers yet.

https://racer.com/2021/09/22/lexus-c...sser-sullivan/
Old 22 Sep 2021, 18:43 (Ref:4075069)   #117
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Nice news for sure.
Old 22 Sep 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4075072)   #118
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
How long before IMSA announces they are changing the BOP between the classes and the Lexus is right back to GTD?
Old 22 Sep 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4075084)   #119
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Something something, gtlm Corvette, something something bop roi
Old 29 Sep 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4076293)   #120
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Racer is reporting that the Detroit race likely will move from Belle Isle back to downtown Detroit beginning in 2023.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 23:00 (Ref:4076351)   #121
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Not surprising, there's been lots of pushback in the legislature about using a park for racing lately
Old 4 Oct 2021, 16:10 (Ref:4076952)   #122
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Works Cadillac driver rumours - https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...fort-for-2022/
Old 4 Oct 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4076972)   #123
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Now that would be a fantastic line-up!
Old 19 Oct 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4079126)   #124
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
They confirmed that lineup today.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...ais-in-lineup/
Old 20 Oct 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4079256)   #125
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Could be worse... :P