Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1323590)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
1,000 bhp?

What are the chances of at least one team turning up to an event with the purpose of just winning that particular race and sod the next one.BAR seem to have nothing to lose in that respect,i'm sure Honda will be rustling up a few "one race specials" as we speak (type).BMW also developed an engine last year reputed to develop 1,000 bhp but was axed because of the 2 race rule, maybe they would like to take it out of mothballs later in the season.Obviously the engine is going to fail in the second race and put them at a disadvantage for the next one in terms of qualifying,but maybe it's a risk worth taking.A 50% strike rate could win a championship.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1323627)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was reported earlier in the season that BARH would have a 1000hp motor this year. This was later rubbished by a rep. They stated its more important to have a drivable motor that high peak numbers. I suppose 1k would be great for bragging rights but if you dont win the race it seems all for naught.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 03:16 (Ref:1323631)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the only place where such tactics will be really useful is at Monza. Anywhere else, the increase in power from the current 900+ to 1000 is too small if the car is a truck on it's own.

Anyways, you'd be surprised, but i think if a team makes a 1000bhp motor, there's a good chance by conservative running in the 2nd race (minimal practice, not over pushing in the race) that they might just make it to the finish...provided they don't trash it in the first round.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 04:28 (Ref:1323664)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
What are the chances of at least one team turning up to an event with the purpose of just winning that particular race and sod the next one.....................A 50% strike rate could win a championship.
Ideal in principal, but once the motor goes bang in the second race, it puts them at a disadvantage for the next races qualifying.

With a lot of teams running a rumoured 950 horsepower already, 1000 bhp isn't going to be enough to make up the deficit, especially on the tracks F1 uses today.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1323692)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last time I bought Autosport (either the week before or week after Monaco, can't remember) there was a very small article on one of the first few pages where BMW were basically saying that they hadn't started working on outright power yet, but were trying to build a reliable engine first but they already had more than 900bhp, and would have built a 1000bhp engine this year had the rules not changed.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1323715)   #6
Adam RR
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast, Australia
Adam RR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe on the last race of the season if someone's on a fresh engine from the 2nd last race we'll see a power monster. Here's hoping anywa
Old 9 Jun 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1323724)   #7
Icycool
Rookie

Icycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all,

I am no way an authority on these things, however if you have an engine that already develops 950 bhp, it could be reasonable to assume that it already develops the magical 1000bhp. By reducing the rpm you could theoretically reduce the bhp, as the engines rely more on the revs than the torque (as much as a conventional engine) you may find that a tolerance is factored into the engines rev range, if my memory serves me right they do have a button that increases the revs to aid overtaking.

Feel free to point out the error of my theory.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1323737)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was told, virtually from the horse's mouth by sheer luck and situation circumstance, about 4 or 5 years ago that one team was knocking on the door of 900 hp in race spec, and 950 in qualifying.

1000 hp is most certainly conceivable!!
Old 9 Jun 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1323740)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some teams will take the change in the last race. The engines have to last two race weekends, but this season we have an odd number of races.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1323980)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Theoretically, most drivers will have a fresh engine for the last race.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1324142)   #11
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What effect would 1000BHP have on the tyres though? 2 hours of even a slight increase in acceleration will cause them to wear more (if only a little). Some cars struggle to make it to the end with there current engine powers.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1324175)   #12
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I was told, virtually from the horse's mouth by sheer luck and situation circumstance, about 4 or 5 years ago that one team was knocking on the door of 900 hp in race spec, and 950 in qualifying.

1000 hp is most certainly conceivable!!
so which team was that BMW? I know williams BMW had the best and most power engine 2001~2003... who else could it be?
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1324818)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They certainly haven't got the best and most powerful engine now.

The candidates for most powerful engine are Toyota and Mercedes, I believe.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1324828)   #14
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
no, the mercedes is not even as powerfull as the cosworth. honda is certainly the king of engines at the moment in terms of power, renault is the best with good torque and drivability, ferrari is also very very good!
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1324839)   #15
poha84
Rookie

poha84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the new Mercedes engine is one of the most powerful on the grid.