Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2003, 11:09 (Ref:748136)   #1
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Favourite title decider

Having just seen the WDC tied up by Michael in Japan, what is your favourite title decider of all time. For me it would be the duel between Schumacher and Hakkinen in Japan 2000 when the two drivers were in a race of their own after MS took pole by 0.009s and then turned over Hakkinen's advantage to end Ferrari's 21 year wait for a WDC. Jerez 1997 was very exciting although not as good as Suzuka 2000 in my opinion. How about you?

Last edited by Shoe-maker; 12 Oct 2003 at 11:10.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 11:12 (Ref:748140)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1986. Three potential winners, racing and drama throughout (the year and the final race).
Old 12 Oct 2003, 11:30 (Ref:748151)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was certainly the most entertaining, but I can't pick it as my fave because that tyre blowout was TOOO cruel!

I can't really pick just one. 1982 wasn't bad, Senna's win in 1988 was a great way to win a title, Mansell's drive at Hungary in '92 was entertaining (and it was about time he won the title!), and 2000 was pretty tense.

If we're really going back, then Fangio's great win in '57 at the German GP was brilliant, whilst Mexico 1964 was really bizarre - Clark was going to be champion right up until the very end.

Oh, and 1999 has to be the finale with the greatest relief factor. Can you imagine Eddie being World Champion!?

There, how to post a message without making a decision!!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 14:49 (Ref:748379)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely 86!!!!
Yeah,not good for mansel fans but awsome tension for everyone else.
It had so many big things happening all in one race:
A FRANTIC first lap with heaps of position changes.
Keke finally getting a car he could drive,pushing it to the front and running away with it until a delaminated tyre stopped him(he thought the noise was an engine problem and just pulled off,but he was never going to win while prost was in the race...team orders...).
Mansell seemingly cruising to the 3rd place he needed to win the WDC (rather deservedly most thought).
Prost seemingly out of it early with a flat.
It looked like mansel would easily have it....
Then THAT blowout-hey if your going to be dumped out of the title race at the last event,at least go in style!!!LOL
BTW-all those sparks were the magnesium rim burning/grinding away(remember the magnesium burn trick from school science?)
Suddenly it all changed-piquet decided life was worth more than a 3rd title and went in to change tyres......and suddenly prost was back in contention.Remember he had changed tyres early on from the flat(it was a tyre wear problem that caught every one out that day)
So prost had an easy run to the chequered flag....yeah right! Remember thay had no refuling in those days and a certain size fuel tank ONLY.His fuel gauge was reading minus four laps by the end........all he could do was hope it was wrong.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 15:14 (Ref:748410)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
86 !! seen video tapes of it and it was just amazing!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 15:36 (Ref:748443)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I was only 1 in 1986 and started watching F1 in 1993, my favourite is 1997. Obviously thanks to the result, and because there actually was a passing maneuver deciding the title.
And 1994, for all the pressure and for how well Damon kept on Michael's gearbox until lap 36...
Old 13 Oct 2003, 13:30 (Ref:749574)   #7
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1997 was the coolest. No doubt. Because it really WAS a decider.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 13:50 (Ref:749619)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...about France 2002?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 14:06 (Ref:749641)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1986 with no doubt ! I wish we could have some exciting seasons like that back again.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 16:12 (Ref:749802)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1996 was nice. Not much spectacle mind.

My absolute favourites are the Suzuka 2000 decider and Adelaide '94. Both were tense and exciting and very closely fought.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 05:36 (Ref:750476)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'86 and '94 were both pretty dramatic, and at the same circuit too!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 14 Oct 2003, 06:39 (Ref:750496)   #12
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1989 was the first I watched and must rate up there the two gretaest drivers of there day in equal equipment pity that it was ultimatly decided by the FIA

1990 is also worth noteing as IMHO it was the catylist for all the "Micheal Schumacher will do anything to Win" arguments on this forum.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:42 (Ref:750751)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'86 without a doubt.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 12:00 (Ref:750785)   #14
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
99 was pretty good, after an interesting year and an unusual title contender.

98 was good, 2 stalls on the grid, and what a fight back from Ferrari through out the year with the Mclarens being stunning at the first race of the year.

97 good old bit of controversy, really the ferrari should really have been a contender.

96 dull dull dull dull dull. Just down the JV's bad luck that hill won it.

95 all to easy

94 thrilling another underdog car with a dramtic end.

93 great racing all year average last race

92 good year and gripping end, (well done Nigel)

91 nothing really stands out for me apart from TGF's debut

90 same again

89 I don't remember much about these or have and videos left, wasn't this the year Prost put senna out ?

88 if the above s correct vice versa.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:38 (Ref:751070)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym

96 dull dull dull dull dull. Just down the JV's bad luck that hill won it.
And not the fact that Hill was imperious that day.....
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:45 (Ref:751083)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It wasn't JV that was unlucky that year. (only once or twice)
Hill almost blew it in the later part of the season with his spinoffs.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 16:52 (Ref:751093)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hill had his fair share of bad luck. Silverstone for example.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:07 (Ref:751116)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As we're talking finales, 1996 was a perfect race for Damon, while for Jacques it was bad luck, but also a mistake for his poor start.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 17:18 (Ref:751130)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Would he have been able to keep up with Damon if he had made a good start, though? I don't think he would have.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:19 (Ref:751357)   #20
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often thing about that race and sometimes I am angry it didn't end the other way. Maybe Jacques would have been more respected with two titles and maybe he'd never have gone to BAR (British American Retards, that is), but on the other side, it was Damon's last chance and he is one of my favorite drivers ever, as well...so...I don't know
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:23 (Ref:751360)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems fair that they both have a title each. Damon deserved it really. He did win 8 races and the way he helped pick Williams up after Imola '94 was very impressive.

As for Jacques, he didn't have to go to BAR, though I do think it's a shame we haven't seen him in a decent car since 1997 (or the odd day in '98?).
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:27 (Ref:751365)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Damon was never the most impressive nor the quickest racer, but he had a great spirit and always gave his best (bar 1999) for the fans and the team. And you don't win titles by being rubbish.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:28 (Ref:751368)   #23
krt917
Veteran

Absolutely

And I think he was better in the wet than most people gave him credit for. But that really is getting off the point of the thread!
Old 15 Oct 2003, 16:14 (Ref:752391)   #24
Blue-eyed Devil
Rookie

Blue-eyed Devil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite title decider is still 1997. It was thrilling and had a result I was pleased with, which isn't something I can say about any of the following years...
Old 15 Oct 2003, 16:47 (Ref:752417)   #25
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 without a doubt - I have never laughed as much again as I did when the Boring Brummie's tyre went...