http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/25284/

he did get his swipes in, but as a whole, the article is positive
Old 30 May 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1622632)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
YOU LIE!
Surely such a thing is not possible!

Yeah, A good read, he still sings the same tune in some areas but hey, he probably gets paid by the inch.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:06 (Ref:1622675)   #3
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A positive article if you consider that the USA is centre of the universe and any continental American series, in any sport, is right in thinking itself as being a "World Series" or similar. If Indy wanted to have an American show then it can go and do so and stop marketing itself to the rest of the world, but it doesn't so let's just ask ourselves why the crowd might have been cheering a little louder this year. Was it because it was two Americans battling to the flag or was it because it was simply a damn good battle (aside from THAT block)?

Same as last year I reckon, yes Danica was American but I very much doubt any neutral could have cared less. It would have been a great story for a woman to win the 500, but she didnt and we all moved on.

This year yes there were US drivers right at the sharp end but I think the crowd had spent a couple of hours fearing that the 2 CGR drivers were going to waltz off into the distance, so to have a finish like that was a very very welcome suprise.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1622721)   #4
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But that's the American mindset about sports. If an American is successful at it, it's front page news. If one isn't, then it's not worth caring about. It's stupid and jingoistic, but that's how it goes over here with sports that aren't baseball, basketball or football.
Old 30 May 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1622903)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed but is the IRL trying to be an international series or a US one? If it were to want to be a predominently US series then fine and expect to be treated accordingly by the outside world..
Old 30 May 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1623084)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what made me think? That the month of May should have no F1 races so F1 guys could come. Winning the Indy 500 did Jim Clark or Graham Hill no harm...

And Graham is still the only fella to have won Indy, Monaco and Le Mans. I wonder if we'll ever see that again...
Old 30 May 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1623086)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be very suprised if any of the teams allowed any of the current F1 drivers a chance to compeat in any form of racing apart from lawn mower racing or karting (even ice kart racing) during a racing season. Let alone a high speed oval....Just ask Champ Car teams especially Paul Newman and Carl Haas as we know...
Old 30 May 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1623262)   #8
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the IRL is trying to become a SUCCESSFUL series, regardless of nationality. If having American drivers doing well puts butts in the seats and names on sidepods, then that's what they want.
Old 30 May 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1623412)   #9
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kasey Kahne's post race comments after winning at Lowes on Sunday were full of how he wanted to race at Indy and how it's a big part of his life. I'm sure he's not the only Nascar guy who feels that way. IRL have got to figure out a way to get some of those guys racing at Indy (it'll be a bit tough when Nascar want to run a race on the same day of course).
Old 30 May 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1623413)   #10
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
And Graham is still the only fella to have won Indy, Monaco and Le Mans. I wonder if we'll ever see that again...
Scott Dixon could do that on talent. Sure, he's zero for three right now, but he will have several more years at Indy in a competive car, has won in sports cars so could get a good drive at Le Mans no problem (especially as Indy 500 winner)... then it just comes down to bluffing a seat in F1 and hoping for that Panis type moment.

No Problem!

/fanboy
Old 31 May 2006, 00:02 (Ref:1623431)   #11
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Scott Dixon could do that on talent. Sure, he's zero for three right now, but he will have several more years at Indy in a competive car, has won in sports cars so could get a good drive at Le Mans no problem (especially as Indy 500 winner)... then it just comes down to bluffing a seat in F1 and hoping for that Panis type moment.

No Problem!

/fanboy
Of course, Juan Pablo Montoya is two-thirds of the way there already, so Scott has some work to do if he wants to do it.
Old 31 May 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1623433)   #12
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Actually good point. JV hasn't won at Monaco though has he?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1624525)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, "His year" was Panis' year...

But there is still a chance. Maybe.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1625108)   #14
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Kasey Kahne's post race comments after winning at Lowes on Sunday were full of how he wanted to race at Indy and how it's a big part of his life. I'm sure he's not the only Nascar guy who feels that way. IRL have got to figure out a way to get some of those guys racing at Indy (it'll be a bit tough when Nascar want to run a race on the same day of course).
Maybe some of the NASCAR guys will get tired of racing in a domestic series and will try their talents against drivers from all over the planet.

But I would look for them to contiune taking the easy and more profitable route, sticking in NASCAR. Unless of course open wheel racing is once again unified and becames a more profitable series for the drivers.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1625249)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Maybe some of the NASCAR guys will get tired of racing in a domestic series and will try their talents against drivers from all over the planet.
Possibly, but don't mistake the desire to race in the Indy 500 for a desire to race at Long Beach or St. Petersburg.

While the big money in NASCAR obviously is attractive, the higher number of races and also closer, tighter racing are another two factors that I know quite a few NASCAR drivers enjoy as well.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1625329)   #16
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been quite annoyed with him for a long time, to the point of avoiding his articles...but he's redeemed himself in my eyes...hard to disagree.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1625384)   #17
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Possibly, but don't mistake the desire to race in the Indy 500 for a desire to race at Long Beach or St. Petersburg.

While the big money in NASCAR obviously is attractive, the higher number of races and also closer, tighter racing are another two factors that I know quite a few NASCAR drivers enjoy as well.
If one fashions themselves a true racer I would think taking on challenging road courses in open wheel cars is part of the attraction.

Just like racers in indy cars compete in IROC. Some guys seem to like to race anything. Some guys except for most NASCAR drivers that is.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1625465)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If one fashions themselves a true racer I would think taking on challenging road courses in open wheel cars is part of the attraction.
So how do you define a true racer? Simply by the number of 'challenging' road courses on the schedule? Is John Force, who only races in a straight line - albeit at speeds no NASCAR/Champ Car/IndyCar driver would ever come close to - less of a racer than, say, Sebastien Bourdais?

Quote:
Just like racers in indy cars compete in IROC. Some guys seem to like to race anything. Some guys except for most NASCAR drivers that is.
One has to remember that the Cup drivers have, at least, 38 race weekends per year, almost double that of every other major racing championship out there. It does not exactly leave a lot of time for open-wheel adventures.

Add to that the drivers who regularly race in Busch and/or Craftsman Truck Series races over the year, and they have even more on their plate.

That said, there are plenty of Cup drivers who have crossed over to other forms of racing - including sports cars, rally raid, sprint cars, dirt modifieds - this year alone. Might even be an equal number in total compared to Champ Car and IndyCar combined.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1625550)   #19
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the days of drivers doing multiple venues are long gone and dead, very sad to say...THOSE were the good 'ol days!

between sponsor commitments, and team owners not wanting their bread winner getting hurt (remember Dale Jr going up in flames in a Corvette a few years back?) drivers these days are basically stuck into whatever series thay are in...
Old 4 Jun 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1626390)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edick
the days of drivers doing multiple venues are long gone and dead, very sad to say...THOSE were the good 'ol days!
They will never go away completely, not with drivers like Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon (and as of late, Paul Tracy for that matter).
Old 5 Jun 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1627940)   #21
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe I should have stated F1 drivers...
my problem is that I remember the days of Clark, Gurney, Mclaren, Hulme, Andretti, Revson, J. Stewart, Surtees, Siffert, etc. bouncing back and forth between their F1 duties, and the Can-Am, and endurance racing, and Indy, and stock cars, and and and...
Tony and Robbie jumping between Grand Am and the roundy round stuff doesn't inspire much awe...now get Schumy or Fisi or Button over here to run Indy or Sebring...
Old 5 Jun 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1628034)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robby ran off-road at Baja last weekend, didn't he....and he ran at Dakar as well over the past two years...

Robby Gordon likes to race....Indy is a goal of his, because he lost in 1999 when he ran out of fuel....

But Robby has raced in the 24 Hrs. of Daytona before it adopted the DP formula, and will go after just about any form of racing that he thinks will give him an opportunity to win....

He is a good road racer...in fact, I fell that he would be best off if he were competing in the ALMS...he has quick hands and is fast on road circuits....he would excel.

One American Open Wheel Series!