Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3343935)   #26
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Clayton View Post
Slightly off-topic, but would anyone know the reasons why there were no privateer Group A XJS's in the BTCC and ETCC in the mid-1980's? Was it:

1. TWR did not want privateers to have access to parts, information and support?
2. If TWR did allow privateers access, the costs and complexity of the XJS made it not a feasible option for a privateer team to run?
I thought I'd posted to say that the BTCC had an upper capacity limit of 3600cc meaning that the V12 XJ-S was ineligible but I can't find that post... (Early onset of old-timers maybe?)
Old 14 Dec 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3343938)   #27
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
For the BTCC, it would definitely have also fallen foul of the 3.6-litre maximum capacity rule that Viva mentioned- IIRC it was brought in at some point in the 70's, to outlaw the Camaros etc that dominated around that time, and wasn't lifted until 1987, by which time the big Cat was out of homologation.

I'd agree with Peter that the big issue for privateers was cost and complexity, although I don't think parts supply was particularly easy either- IIRC the most extensively-campaigned privateer XJS, Peter Willmington's red car in Australia, was built up from a second-hand road car
Old 14 Dec 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3344038)   #28
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Netherlands, a guy called Eddy Fresco built his own Jaguar XJS in 1985 without any help from TWR. It wasn't a success, even in the limited Group A world of Holland.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3344235)   #29
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
For the BTCC, it would definitely have also fallen foul of the 3.6-litre maximum capacity rule that Viva mentioned- IIRC it was brought in at some point in the 70's, to outlaw the Camaros etc that dominated around that time, and wasn't lifted until 1987, by which time the big Cat was out of homologation.

I'd agree with Peter that the big issue for privateers was cost and complexity, although I don't think parts supply was particularly easy either- IIRC the most extensively-campaigned privateer XJS, Peter Willmington's red car in Australia, was built up from a second-hand road car
Willo is a gifted home taught engineer, he built the injection system himself for his car from a picture of a TWR XJ-S in a magazine. There was also the Goss Jag that Tom copped the Liberace in on the grid at Bathurst in 1984, that was converted to Group A spec and ran from time to time, still owned by Goss and repainted to look like the 85 Bathurst winner.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3344334)   #30
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Translation please: what does "copped the Liberace" mean? I assume it's Aussie slang, but it's lost on me.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3344343)   #31
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
Translation please: what does "copped the Liberace" mean? I assume it's Aussie slang, but it's lost on me.
I think that was the year Walkinshaw was left on the line as they all took off... so I'm guessing it's something to do with that. It'd be interesting to get a 'translation' though... great piece of slang.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3344370)   #32
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, taking one right up the... 'behind'.
Old 16 Dec 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3344546)   #33
Redzone
Racer

Australia
Queensland, Australia
Redzone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace
Old 16 Dec 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3344588)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't you just love enlightened Australians?
Old 16 Dec 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3344641)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Don't you just love enlightened Australians?
Yes, but I have a funny feeling that David is from these shores!
Old 17 Dec 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3344909)   #36
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suggest you look at u-tube footage of 84 Bathurst start and then you will understand.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3344996)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The cockney version would be 'One up the deaf and dum!'
Old 18 Dec 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3345527)   #38
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will put it in plain English so you poms can understand he was rear-ended.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3346549)   #39
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Sorry about that, thought it was a widespread motoring term. Not that there's anything wrong with that

And yes I'm an Australian, living in a very sunburnt rural New South Wales.

Didn't mention the cricket either..........oh drat.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3346793)   #40
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gazza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post

Did you mean to say Gary Willmington?

and fellas, there is only one "Willo" in Oz motor racing folklore and that is Peter Williamson...

Merry Christmas to all
Old 22 Dec 2013, 03:07 (Ref:3346826)   #41
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Did you mean to say Gary Willmington?

and fellas, there is only one "Willo" in Oz motor racing folklore and that is Peter Williamson...

Merry Christmas to all
Edit. sorry, wrong quote.
Old 9 Aug 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3442673)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about an incar camera on Mr Walkinshaw's #8 TWR Jaguar at Bathurst 1985... 20 minutes of balls out running round Mount Panorama... WOW!!

Here

With commentary from TW as well... complete with swear words... amazing footage!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Aug 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3448234)   #43
Holden308
Rookie

Holden308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How about an incar camera on Mr Walkinshaw's #8 TWR Jaguar at Bathurst 1985... 20 minutes of balls out running round Mount Panorama... WOW!!

Here

With commentary from TW as well... complete with swear words... amazing footage!
I wish Seven would release some or all of their raw racecam footage from when it all started back in 1979 with Peter Williamson's no-so-legal (with hand cut gears....) Celica. Hearing what Willo, Dick, Gricey, Brocky etc were all saying to their pit crew (and other drivers - who will ever forget George Fury's 1983 Bathurst comments?) without the television audience listening in.

Some of the things that the people in Seven's OB truck would have heard would have been incredible.

I watched that footage of Tom in the Jag. Its interesting to watch and listen to. Telling his crew to tell Armin [Hahne] in the #10 Jag "To go for f**k sake" and yelling at his crew that they were doing a pit stop, not a 10,000 km service. The funny part was that soon after he left the pits, he was talking to Mike Raymond on racecam and told him the reason he was so calm about things was that "There's no point throwing a hairy fit" lol.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3448543)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A small contribution to this thread if I may;

In 1982 Walkinshaw and Nicholson won the Tourist Trophy race at Silverstone in a Jaguar and I have the Winner's Magnum signed by both drivers.

bauble.

Tags
group a