Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Jun 2022, 15:36 (Ref:4114031)   #326
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In an article on Road and Track about the new Caddy engine they had this info on engine regulations that I hadn't seen before:

Any idea how loud the cars are currently? is that 110 decibels similar or a reduction?

hard to say... for what it can help, I had some trackdays experiences and I found out that porsche 911 gt3rs is one of, if not the loudest road car, being in the range of sligtly over 100db... I've seen also some gt3 races and 911 gt3r was quite loud as well... anyway considering that like current dpi, next year lmdh will probably rev between 7000-8000rpm and that will have longer exhausts too, I think they will be quiter than a 911 gt3rs taken as reference. The thing I didn't understand of that sentence is:
will lmdh have 630hp + momentary ERS +40hp boost or will be 670hp all the time with reduced power from ICE when ERS is activated?
Old 10 Jun 2022, 15:58 (Ref:4114036)   #327
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Any idea how loud the cars are currently? is that 110 decibels similar or a reduction?
Similar if not the exact same wording. It measured at certain distance (15m or so from the edge of the track)

Applies to WEC too.

WEC once apparently accidentally uploaded a document containing noise measurements from a practice session to the Alkamel timing site. All of the LMP2s, Porsches and Fords constantly exceedeed the limit (the same 110) and maxed at about 115 db.

Last edited by deggis; 10 Jun 2022 at 16:03.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 16:18 (Ref:4114042)   #328
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Similar if not the exact same wording. It measured at certain distance (15m or so from the edge of the track)

Applies to WEC too.

WEC once apparently accidentally uploaded a document containing noise measurements from a practice session to the Alkamel timing site. All of the LMP2s, Porsches and Fords constantly exceedeed the limit (the same 110) and maxed at about 115 db.
Classic!
Old 10 Jun 2022, 22:02 (Ref:4114110)   #329
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In an article on Road and Track about the new Caddy engine they had this info on engine regulations that I hadn't seen before:
More interesting is the allowance of variance in the ICE/hybrid balance. What's to stop a team from running near zero hybrid and just on the engine? I'm assuming durability but it's 40 hp and the target of 644-697 hp doesn't seem outlandish for teams to get from the engines discussed so far. But just me thinking based on the words of one member of one manufacturer management
Old 11 Jun 2022, 08:59 (Ref:4114163)   #330
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder how many teams will be able to exploit this rule? Seems there are quite a few open areas on the hybrid rules. But there's nothing wrong with that, just gives teams more of a technical challenge. Let's hope the rules work after what has been a tough time for the series
Old 11 Jun 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4114169)   #331
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder how many teams will be able to exploit this rule? Seems there are quite a few open areas on the hybrid rules. But there's nothing wrong with that, just gives teams more of a technical challenge. Let's hope the rules work after what has been a tough time for the series

Honestly it seems like a big grey zone becaus so far I never heard or read anything like that from other lmdh manufacturers statements... honestly I always assumed lmdh were going to be 630hp all the time + 40hp during ERS boost and not variable power from ICE as hybrid LMH cars use to work.
Also because since cadillac is going to use same 5.5L or however another NA LT derivated motor, how can a NA engine may do something like that? With turbo engine is easily achievable just lowering turbo pressure for that range of seconds, but for NA would be quite more complicated unless to use a specific revlimiter maybe ?
Old 14 Jun 2022, 21:24 (Ref:4115650)   #332
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Both hypercar classes are on a defined power curve at all times through torque sensors, with drive by wire the quick and dirty way is to just reduce throttle opening when the ERS is active.
Old 28 Jun 2022, 13:01 (Ref:4117323)   #333
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are the chances we end up with similar outcome as in 2017?
The Cadillac was so much more earlier in development that it was class of the field for most of 2017 even with BOP. Could we have similar situation with the Porsche being clearly ahead for 2023?

No complaints if this happens, just a curiosity
Old 28 Jun 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4117326)   #334
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
What are the chances we end up with similar outcome as in 2017?
The Cadillac was so much more earlier in development that it was class of the field for most of 2017 even with BOP. Could we have similar situation with the Porsche being clearly ahead for 2023?

No complaints if this happens, just a curiosity
I have the feeling that both the Cadillac and the Acura will be an evolution of the current DPI, even the Acura image looks similar to the current one.
Old 28 Jun 2022, 13:12 (Ref:4117327)   #335
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I have the feeling that both the Cadillac and the Acura will be an evolution of the current DPI, even the Acura image looks similar to the current one.
But still heavier car - hybrid system integration might cause some headache that Porsche might be more advanced into solving them.

Are they both carrying same engine forward? Somehow I remember Cadillac saying they will have a new one but I might be wrong
Old 28 Jun 2022, 17:51 (Ref:4117357)   #336
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If anything Porsche will have the upper hand because they have been on track testing much earlier than any of the other LMDh cars.

Caddy is utilizing a new 5.5 litre engine in their car and a new chassis for all, so we are just going to have to wait a few more months until the mandatory IMSA tests for all manufacturers this fall.
Old 29 Jun 2022, 10:13 (Ref:4117426)   #337
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I thought tests were starting in July? Maybe somewhere stupid hot and humid
Old 29 Jun 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4117437)   #338
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Think they are required to be a Road Atlanta after Petit to start the IMSA testing together fun. I think they are all targeting a summer test plan on their own
Old 29 Jun 2022, 13:33 (Ref:4117461)   #339
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Think they are required to be a Road Atlanta after Petit to start the IMSA testing together fun. I think they are all targeting a summer test plan on their own
Yes and a December test at Daytona is also mandatory:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...ting-timeline/
Old 30 Jun 2022, 00:32 (Ref:4117534)   #340
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
At least two tests have been scrapped. Somewhere in the buckeye state and one in the steel capital.

Last I knew lmdh was destined for the bumps (have to respect them) next month. Unfortunately life takes a new turn. Who knows where any lmdh will hit US soil first. I won't.
Old 30 Jun 2022, 13:09 (Ref:4117584)   #341
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes and a December test at Daytona is also mandatory:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...ting-timeline/

Joe, I don't believe the post Petit test is mandatory as not all manufacturers might be ready to run their new car
Quote:
“Will everybody be ready in October and go to [Road] Atlanta? They may be, but the reality is maybe we won’t because we’re also trying to schedule the appropriate homologation timeline of each individual manufacturer.”

The Daytona one early December most definitely is mandatory.

Quote:
At least two tests have been scrapped. Somewhere in the buckeye state and one in the steel capital.

Last I knew lmdh was destined for the bumps (have to respect them) next month. Unfortunately life takes a new turn. Who knows where any lmdh will hit US soil first. I won't.

Sebring, Tuesday July 12th. Just around the corner. I'm expecting Porsche, probably Cadillac and maybe Acura to be there but it's too early for BMW for sure.
Old 30 Jun 2022, 15:41 (Ref:4117598)   #342
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Sebring, Tuesday July 12th. Just around the corner. I'm expecting Porsche, probably Cadillac and maybe Acura to be there but it's too early for BMW for sure.
That is soon, I'm not sure anybody has even had a rollout besides Porsche.
Old 8 Jul 2022, 19:07 (Ref:4118686)   #343
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...letes-rollout/
As expected, looks nowhere near as cool as those promotional photos we've seen before.
Old 8 Jul 2022, 20:16 (Ref:4118693)   #344
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Joe, I don't believe the post Petit test is mandatory as not all manufacturers might be ready to run their new car

The Daytona one early December most definitely is mandatory.

Quote:
That is soon, I'm not sure anybody has even had a rollout besides Porsche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...letes-rollout/
As expected, looks nowhere near as cool as those promotional photos we've seen before.
This is a great string of 3 posts where they all tie together nicely!

sent during haircut
Old 12 Jul 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4119290)   #345
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hello, today Cadillac released a video of their car testing. Yes it sounds glorious.

https://twitter.com/CadillacVSeries/...ixM_l7gsuhK21g
Old 12 Jul 2022, 18:23 (Ref:4119297)   #346
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shakedown this week for the Acura ARX-06 LMDh

https://en.endurance-info.com/auto/a...arYjy0x9F-xRwY
Old 12 Jul 2022, 21:47 (Ref:4119318)   #347
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Hello, today Cadillac released a video of their car testing. Yes it sounds glorious.

https://twitter.com/CadillacVSeries/...ixM_l7gsuhK21g
That does sound good, I'm just wondering if they could frame that shot any tighter so we get a smaller view of the car?

sent during haircut
Old 13 Jul 2022, 08:57 (Ref:4119361)   #348
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do love the sound of it, certainly can't wait to see it driven in competitive anger. Great to have Cadillac in the series
Old 13 Jul 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4119411)   #349
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Shakedown this week for the Acura ARX-06 LMDh

https://en.endurance-info.com/auto/a...arYjy0x9F-xRwY
Can't wait to see and hear that car in action.
What Acura (Honda) should do is invite some teams to watch and get their reactions. It should make it easier for them to make, at least, 2 more to run in the WEC.
Old 19 Jul 2022, 16:46 (Ref:4119900)   #350
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Click image for larger version

Name:	HERO3Cadillac_GTP_RJM_1275.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	75947

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD482B2B-14FC-497B-B790-0DF45748D47B.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	75948

Hmm