Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Dec 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1182874)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Helmet Painting

I was wondering if many or any of you have gone to the extent of getting your race helemts painted in your own colour scheme?

I have just got my Bell Full Face painted using the same colours that Larry Perkins uses on his, not the same scheme though. It is similar to the colour that was painted on the 60's Brabhams. Both Brabham and Perkins being hero's of mine. I would have got it done in a Colin Bond pattern but Bondy never really had his painted in a particular patter etc.

Anyway I have an open face that I am concidering getting done but not sure if I will bother. SO what about the rest of you?
Old 19 Dec 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1183099)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
rather spend thre money on a rolling road session...
Old 20 Dec 2004, 09:33 (Ref:1183725)   #3
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got mine done by Gremlin designs (www.gremlindesigns.co.uk)
Very good. Was about 350 for a full face helmet.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1183880)   #4
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice to have but would rather spend the money on a better quality helmet, new shox, new tyres, new suit, gloves, boots, new spark plugs, towards an engine rebuild, new ratio's etc etc...
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1183939)   #5
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
colinbond - Can i ask where you got it done and roughly what it would cost ?? I have a very plain and boring looking Bell that could use some colour...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1183946)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I don't want to put you off guys, but unless you have money to spare, you may want to listen to a cautionary tale.

One of our FF drivers paid roughtly GBP£700 for a custom helmet with a skull airbrushed on it. It looked fabulous, but (on what I think was its first race appearance) he was involved in a 6 car pile up.

A car went over his head, leaving a tire track and actually fracturing the helmet. Mercifully the helmet did its real job and although he required hospital treatment he made a full recovery.

However, that was the end of the helmet as there was no way it would ever get through scrutiny again.

Helmet painting is a nice personalised touch - but if budget is an issue, bear in mind that if the helmet is in any way damaged, it immediately becomes money down the drain!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1183959)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I would prefer to spend the money on a present for my wife.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1183966)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dare I say that it's better to spend the money on a HANS than on helmet painting
Old 20 Dec 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1183978)   #9
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Dare I say that it's better to spend the money on a HANS than on helmet painting
Absolutely - and about the same sort of money.
If you go for a simple design and research the correct paints to use then you can always do it yourself.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1184117)   #10
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is probably a much wiser investment Falce !! Be handy to remind her of that when the bill arrives for the engine rebuild/new gearbox/tyres/.........
Old 20 Dec 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1184434)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit500
That is probably a much wiser investment Falce !! Be handy to remind her of that when the bill arrives for the engine rebuild/new gearbox/tyres/.........
That's not a problem, when the bills roll in I just remind her that the Haflinger she bought last week would pay for a race engine for my car
Old 20 Dec 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1184497)   #12
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, good point...

They are frightfully expensive in Australia though - I've actually considered buying one in the UK when i go there for a holiday, as it would still probably work out cheaper !!

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 21 Dec 2004, 09:36 (Ref:1184772)   #13
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I would prefer to spend the money on a present for my wife.
I hope Mrs Mob appreciates you, my ex sited time spent motor racing in our divorce, even though and that was my job
Old 21 Dec 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1184999)   #14
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just remember that before buying a Hans device that your existing helmet is compatable for use with them as only a range of fia approved helmets can have them fitted

Dave
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1185038)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
I hope Mrs Mob appreciates you, my ex sited time spent motor racing in our divorce, even though and that was my job
She spends more time with her horses so it's not a problem, in fact it works out well as we never argue about not seeing each other, we only argue when we do.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1185215)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
Just remember that before buying a Hans device that your existing helmet is compatable for use with them as only a range of fia approved helmets can have them fitted
Can you run that by one more time with a bit more detail. I am going to get a HANS this winter as my Chrissy pressie from the wife. I just bought a new helmet and was not aware that there were restrictions on what could be fitted with a HANS device
Old 22 Dec 2004, 01:37 (Ref:1185534)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR-028
colinbond - Can i ask where you got it done and roughly what it would cost ?? I have a very plain and boring looking Bell that could use some colour...

Cheers,
Paul...
I got it done by a guy out at Penrith and it was around $450. It is a plain design but looks heaps better than just a white helmet. If you want his details send me a PM
Old 22 Dec 2004, 01:55 (Ref:1185543)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Geez , lets be rough on a guy for wanting a nice looking helmet then ??????

while I agree all the other safety issues and go faster bits are defiantely more needed , there is no harm in a flash helmet design.

EP's story about the accident to the F Ford fella reminds me of my team mates brand new helmet.

He paid a squillion for it and it looked great but sadly only wore it for 2 events and after a long day at the track he went home completely beat and left his kit in his car (mind you in his driveway as well ) but sadly someone broke into his car and stole his helmet and his suit which had his name embroided on it , so its useless to anyone else

I didnt design my helmet but its a little fancy , i think its a standard design from that company because i work with a bloke who rides a bike to work and he has the same helmet just different colours.

if you check this thread out you will find mine as well as some other members
Old 22 Dec 2004, 05:39 (Ref:1185611)   #19
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you are in the states, I would highly recomend contacting Cleber at Cleber Designs. The guy is the man, he paints helmets for Tony Kanaan, Christian Fittipaldi, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Alex Barron, among others. The guy does all his work, unlike a lot of other big names and the quality is the best I've ever seen. And, i've seen a lot! It doesn't take a month either, 2-week turn around usually. As we speak, I have him painting a Schumacher replica with decals for a Christmas gift.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1186876)   #20
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Can you run that by one more time with a bit more detail. I am going to get a HANS this winter as my Chrissy pressie from the wife. I just bought a new helmet and was not aware that there were restrictions on what could be fitted with a HANS device
There is a list on the FIA website which shows which helmets have been tested and passed by the fia for use with Hans. You cannot just drill any helmet and fit the posts as hans helmets are designed to have the posts fitted in a pre determined position.

IIRC helmets have to be of a FIA8858 standard to be used with hans.

If you let me know what helmet you have i can advise if it is on the fia list which is a pain to find.

Dave
Old 23 Dec 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1186963)   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Dave, my new lid is an Arai GP5K SA2000. I got it from Demon Tweeks and did mention that I was thinking of getting a HANS device shortly. If it isn't on the list, does that mean it won't work at all, or just that it doesn't have sufficient strength to meet FIA requirements. I only run at UK MSA national A and B events and don't do any international racing.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1187072)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
The HANS device has also got to be used with FIA harnesses approved for use with HANS.
Here is a list of approved helmets although they have the posts fitted

Last edited by Tim Falce; 23 Dec 2004 at 21:44.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1187086)   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
The HANS device has also got to be used with FIA harnesses approved for use with HANS.
Here is a list of approved helmets although they have the posts fitted
But that's rediculous. That list only has six of the most expensive helmets available. I'm not F1 driver!

Last edited by dtype38; 23 Dec 2004 at 21:54.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1187297)   #24
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
Speak to Demon Tweeks, they know which helmets can and can't be retrofitted. All within the regs. All the major manufacturers are OK, would think a GP5K shouldn't be a problem.
Old 24 Dec 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1187370)   #25
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
haggispeed... that's what I thought. It was only the post from DaveK that started me worrying, and when that starts I can get a bit paranoid, followed by a persecution complex and bouts of manic depression.... Just the usual off-season blues really

Tags
helmet painting