Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 5 Feb 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1833973)   #51
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
It's nowt to do with the extra layer giving more protection is it? All the Irish ASN has done is remove the waiver for 3-layer overalls to be worn without underwear, and strictly apply FIA rules. FIA accepts 2- or 3-layer suits, but all must be worn with underwear.
I assume a scrutineer will be present when the drivers get dressed!
Old 7 Feb 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1835198)   #52
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Along the same lines as Terence's point and it must affect some - who checks and how do female drivers get checked?

I would presume it would be like an airport ie if you set the alarms off you must be "checked" by a person of the same sex and if they do check underwear, will this not be the same? I don't know about Ireland but in England I have seen very few (infact none I can recall meeting) female scrutes.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:07 (Ref:1835270)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suze,

You present your car, helmet, overalls and underwear at the scrutineering bay. They check and if all complies with the regs, you get a pass. If there's something wrong with your helmet, overalls, underwear, car etc. then you have to put it right.

Its assumed that as a driver you've spent money to comply so you wouldn't be stupid enough to spend the cash then not use the goods.

AFAIK nobody actually checks the clothing or underwear when you arrive in the collection area. Although it is possible to check helmets and overalls because of the markings.

I think you'll find that Terence was being humorous.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1835274)   #54
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know how scrutes works but thanks anyway - point is I have seen many turn up in their racegear and already dressed which is where the query stems from with regards to checking underwear etc with the new rule.

I actually think Terence could have a good point here for certain scenarios.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1835288)   #55
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
This question was raised in terms of the under 16 racers - we have very strict rules in Ireland about "children in sport" (and before anyone kicks up about 16 year olds being referred to as children, that's what the Irish Sports Council named it so please take it up with them).

I'm told that all that is required that the label on the top section would be checked, which should not require much in the way of interaction.

I would assume that if a driver had an objection - possibly due to label location or being uncomfortable about this - then they would show up at scrutiny with their gear ready for inspection, but not wearing it.

Equally, if there was a more detailed examination required, then the scenario would be as Peter has described - the driver would be requested to bring all garments to scrutiny without being in them.

At the end of the day, if you're a driver who doesn't want to be "examined" by a scrutineer (regardless of respective gender), then don't show up to scrutiny wearing your gear if you know it needs to be checked.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1835292)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the case of your later scenario, the FIA underwear has its label on the neck of the vest and front of the leggings. You wear them with the labels on the outside. No issue, just slide the zip down and you can see the date etc. Of course if anyone was daft enough to wear them inside out then maybe there would be fun and games. Also its sensible to tuck the undershirt into the leggings for the foregoing reason and the possible calls of nature.

Mind you I recall a lady XJS driver walkng around the paddock in her nomex underwear a few years ago. *sigh*.

This post has been brought to you by Pete's Satorial Presentations Ltd. A wholly owned subsidiary of the FIA Rubberwear Company PLC.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1835320)   #57
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
The chances are that you will run under your own rules, same as if we went to the UK.

They wont get that sticky over one event. They usually let drivers race and tell them to get whatever it is before their next event, which of course wouldn't affect you!

PS Are you or your class travelling over this year?
Yes I'm hoping to come over again, when the BRxC visits Mondello in October. So by then we should know what we actually need, to comply with the rules. Nomex, Proban, underwear or not.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1835324)   #58
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet
Nomex, Proban, underwear or not.
Well in Mondello in October, I would definitely recommend underwear. Commando is likely to make you very cold......
Old 7 Feb 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1835485)   #59
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are so many darn rules now. I dont think anyone wants underware police running around asking to check your nickers. In some countries, ppl get arrested for that.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1835493)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Got to be honest, I can understand the frustration about the cost but I don't understand any of the arguments. Surely if there is a product that makes it safer for you, you go get it? And as to the heat thing, I don't feel any discomfort until after the race when I get changed anyway. For the record I wear a full face FIA balaclava, full FIA underwear and an FIA 3 layer suit. With the necessary gloves and boots of course.

(Just looking at HANS devices next).
Old 7 Feb 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1835524)   #61
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I think the issue is less about safety and more about safety gone overboard.

As I understand it, the decision in Ireland was prompted by burn injuries at Rallies.

I'm not sure how that equates to circuit racing. I've marshalled circuit racing in Ireland for a number of years now and I don't remember the last time we had a fire of any significance - certainly not one where the driver was in the car.

Now obviously, I'm not saying it can't happen - and you have to be prepared for it - hence the racesuit requirements. But how much additional protection do you get from the extra layer? Does anyone have the stats on it?

Anyone who knows me will know I'm usually pretty rabid about safety - but at the same time, I am sensible enough to realise that the escalating costs of safety gear that is not strictly necessary will only add to ongoing decline in circuit racing we've been experiencing in Ireland for the past few years.

Motorsport is actually going back to its real roots here - in that motor-racing is more and more becoming the province of the rich and no-one else can afford to compete.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1835564)   #62
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

(Just looking at HANS devices next).
Go for it Peter. I wont drive with out one now.

Fortunitly I have not had an opportunity to test it. Hopefully I wont either.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1836410)   #63
ALEX SINCLAIR
Rookie

ALEX SINCLAIR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nomex underwear now compulsory for all Irish events

I have just been made aware of this discussion so I hope you don't mind if I add something?

Normally Motorsport Ireland try to give at least 12 months notice of any change in regualtions that requires the purchase of new equipment. In this case we got it wrong.

Consequently, this regulation will only apply to Stage Rallies in 2007.

From 1.1.2008 it will apply to all categories listed in the 2007 Yearbook. The Yearbook can be viewed on our website www.motorsportireland.com

Hope this clarifies matters and apologies for the confusion.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 16:49 (Ref:1836473)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A warm welcome Alex. Thanks for that and I'm sure your input will be appreciated.

While you are here take a look around the site and feel free to join in.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1836628)   #65
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX SINCLAIR
I have just been made aware of this discussion so I hope you don't mind if I add something?

Normally Motorsport Ireland try to give at least 12 months notice of any change in regualtions that requires the purchase of new equipment. In this case we got it wrong.

From 1.1.2008 it will apply to all categories listed in the 2007 Yearbook. The Yearbook can be viewed on our website www.motorsportireland.com

Alex many thanks for this; It has cleared up alot of confusion.

And as Peter says Welcome to 10/10ths!

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 9 Feb 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1837616)   #66
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
Just to be sure I rang Joe Shirley (Cheif Scrut for Mondello). He said that this is definitley the case and that this will be checked for compliance.

Interesting................
Old 11 Feb 2007, 01:16 (Ref:1838397)   #67
beekay
Rookie

beekay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX SINCLAIR

Lovely!!!