Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3880155)   #1
LucBrandts
Rookie

LucBrandts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooper T43 on DCOE Carburettors

Hi there,

New to the forum, hope somebody will be able to help me out. I am having trouble getting new FIA papers on my Cooper T43. It is running a 2 liter Coventry Climax engine with Weber DCOE carburettors. The FIA asks for proof, meaning period pictures showing the car running with DCOE carbs, rather than the older DCO3's.
Pretty sure the DCOE carburettors have been used in period, but it's very hard to find definitive proof. The Aston Martin DB4 in the FIA database is homologated on DCOE's for instance.
Any help is appreciated.
best, Luc
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3880159)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBrandts View Post
Hi there,

New to the forum, hope somebody will be able to help me out. I am having trouble getting new FIA papers on my Cooper T43. It is running a 2 liter Coventry Climax engine with Weber DCOE carburettors. The FIA asks for proof, meaning period pictures showing the car running with DCOE carbs, rather than the older DCO3's.
Pretty sure the DCOE carburettors have been used in period, but it's very hard to find definitive proof. The Aston Martin DB4 in the FIA database is homologated on DCOE's for instance.
Any help is appreciated.
best, Luc
Welcome Luc. The problem with getting period proof that DCOEs were used on certain cars is also being discussed on the Historic Racing Today forum. The more publicity the better, and good luck!
Old 28 Jan 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3880163)   #3
LucBrandts
Rookie

LucBrandts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mike, I will keep an eye on both threads. Luc
Old 30 Jan 2019, 17:25 (Ref:3880711)   #4
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's only possible someone used them some time after the car was made.

DCOEs did not exist when the T43 was first made - a lot of them had the twin choke SU carbs (which Climax would have supplied, they only ever fitted SUs themselves).
Some would have been fitted with DCOs by their owners.

When the DCOE came out some people will have fitted them (they were much cheaper than DCOs) but that couldn't have been before late 1959/60 and there weren't many people still using T43s by then.

The most likely application would have been a 1500cc car running in 1960 F2.
A 2 liter T43 would have been totally outclassed by 1960 so unlikely to have been entered in 2.5 liter F1 by then?

The Aston DB4 GT came out in September 1959 around the time DCOEs started to appear, by the time people stopped racing them DCOEs were available and DCOs were no longer made.
Old 18 Oct 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4011375)   #5
Nadelson
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
Nadelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cooper T43 SU Carbs

Hi Luc,

I owned T43 F2/19/57 until a short while ago. The T43 in FPF configuration was originally built with 2-SU DU6 Carbs. The carbs in my T43 were later switched out to Weber 45 DCOEs.

The T43 was never offered with the 2L FPF engine but only the 1.5L FPF or the FWB or single cam 1200 FWE that my car came with. The FWE was replaced with the 1.5L FPF in period but I don't know when the Webers were installed

While the car is gone, I still have the original SU DU6 Carbs and the ERSA gearbox and some ERSA spare parts. Let me know if you know on anyone interested in these bits from the 1950's. If you want to put the DU6s on your engine, it might do the trick for the scrutineers.

Jay