Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score does the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix get from you?
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 5 10.64%
6 5 10.64%
5 3 6.38%
4 8 17.02%
3 11 23.40%
2 2 4.26%
1 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Sep 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3850579)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the Grand Prix: Singapore Grand Prix 2018

What score does the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix get from you?
Old 16 Sep 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3850679)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Very poor race to be honest with a very silly Perez being the only real excitement, so gave it 3
Old 16 Sep 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3850693)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, really very dull (and yes, I did drop off several times). Not really much to see after the opening laps and Max's pit stop other than Perez continuing to outstay his welcome in F1.....
Old 16 Sep 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3850715)   #4
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis called Singapore, Monaco on steroids. From his perspective I don't doubt him but as a race, it was far from it. 3.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3850776)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I gave it a generous 3. I watched the race in a bar and almost fell asleep.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:44 (Ref:3850786)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
4. circuit needs a rethink.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 20:41 (Ref:3850814)   #7
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
A very generous 1.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3850842)   #8
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Being from the days where second might be a lap behind the winner, I gave it a 7 as I usually do. I save higher (or lower) for those really special occasions.

'In my 60s and still have an attention span of more than an apple and wonder why so many expect a nose to nose race all the time or else consider the sport rubbish.... We're still seeing the best minds building and developing the best machines; and the best teams and drivers getting the most out of them. Of course on most days the racing won't be close. On many, the fields will be spread out. As they should.

The fields are closer than ever and there's still complaining. I don't understand....

Wanting contrived "exciting racing" all the time, all one needs to do is watch NASCAR, IndyCar, or BoPed sportscars. A shame that many want not to see the best shine in favor of supposed "excitement". Isn't that nearly exciting as "scripted" entertainment one can find in the theatre or on the "tube"? I guess I answer my own question.
Of course, to each his own.

jimclark
Old 16 Sep 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3850865)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I gave it a generous 3. I watched the race in a bar and almost fell asleep.
I thought alcohol was a sedative?
Old 17 Sep 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3850934)   #10
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3850946)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I gave it two since based on JC's comments above, it was close down the field but the top six did little to spice things up. Have to say Lewis was superb and deserved the win but as Max said in the post race chat they had, Lewis simply controlled the pace.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 07:53 (Ref:3850952)   #12
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
"Lewis simply controlled the pace."

Simply? That's fantastic to watch. One of the best, in one of the best, doing the best. To witness excellence does not necessarily mean excitement.

Last edited by jimclark; 17 Sep 2018 at 08:00.

jimclark
Old 17 Sep 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3850955)   #13
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This boring bag of slop gets 2 from me - 1 because it looks cool at night, and 1 for Sirotken for giving the commentators something to talk about.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3850959)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
6 from me, because I didn't turn over to watch the BTCC and enjoyed watching Hamilton dictate the race, even when RoGro tried to trip him up.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3850962)   #15
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Being from the days where second might be a lap behind the winner, I gave it a 7 as I usually do. I save higher (or lower) for those really special occasions.

'In my 60s and still have an attention span of more than an apple and wonder why so many expect a nose to nose race all the time or else consider the sport rubbish.... We're still seeing the best minds building and developing the best machines; and the best teams and drivers getting the most out of them. Of course on most days the racing won't be close. On many, the fields will be spread out. As they should.

The fields are closer than ever and there's still complaining. I don't understand....

Wanting contrived "exciting racing" all the time, all one needs to do is watch NASCAR, IndyCar, or BoPed sportscars. A shame that many want not to see the best shine in favor of supposed "excitement". Isn't that nearly exciting as "scripted" entertainment one can find in the theatre or on the "tube"? I guess I answer my own question.

As soon as I voted (7) and saw the results pop up, I thought "Here we go again".

It wasn't wall-to-wall excitement but the only really tedious bit was watching them go round behind the safety car. Max v Seb was good. Perez enlivened things (but shouldn't have). Sirotkin gave us a brilliant defensive drive (I hope all the DRS-knockers were pleased with that). The blue flag drama spiced up the question of the lead for a while. There was mixed tyre strategy and we were wondering which would work. And then there was the sheer spectacle of watching some of the best drivers in the world driving between walls with such precision.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3850988)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
6, bit of excitement in the middle part of the race, but that's about it
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3850995)   #17
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wanting contrived "exciting racing" all the time,...
So little passing, so much complaining about drivers who wouldn’t pull over and let their betters pass. Seb on better tires and arguably a better car couldn’t pass Max, and seemed to give up on the idea after a few laps.

F1 contrived is already here with DRS and tires designed to fall off prematurely.

Baku had good racing, this course somehow didn’t.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3851016)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

But I think you miss the point. When you and I started watching racing, we could see the drivers working the wheel. The cars slid around, rather than steered around corners, they drifted instead of power over steered, there was less reliability. These and many more reasons go to explain why the racing is just plain tedious today. But I and many others more qualified than me, have been saying this for ages.

The majority of comments from Goodwood related to how much sliding we saw. And it was noticeable (at least to me) that the Can Am cars with their rudimentary aero actually moved around much less.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3851045)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm usually fairly generous with my rating, but can't give this one more than 3......for far too much of the time it seemed to be a case of driving to conserve the tyres, rather than actually racing. I'm sure it was arduous to drive, but it wasn't engrossing.

Perez was simply unacceptable - the nudge to his team-mate "may" have been simply careless, although I'm not convinced - the attack on Sirotkin was almost homicidal. I'd have ripped Perez's licence up on the spot - a drive-through was nowhere near enough penalty.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3851048)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
6 for me. for me it was the best thing on at 7am so i it worked. plus the cars just look fantastic under the lights.

sporting wise...one of the title protagonists had a pretty average day so that wasnt great for the race but the aftermath of it, the analysis over the next two weeks, and its implications for the remainder of the season still means we have something to talk about.

for me that aint bad imo but i can appreciate that elevated expectation/hype can often lead to disappointment when the battle doesnt play out as advertised. no doubt i fell victim to that as i had hoped the Ferrari would pose more of a threat here.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3851069)   #21
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But I think you miss the point.
'Not missing any point at all. The races were even less '"exciting" (close) back "in the day", but it hooked me because I knew it was the top echelon. It seems now, many (most?) haven't a clue and need the "excitement' of "close" racing rather than seeing the best perform (again, engineers, designers, fabricators, mechanics, and drivers), be it close racing or not.
I wish to continue watching supremacy and who will knock them down next.
Like I said, there's other forms of racing that lower the bar, have at it and leave F1 to the the best.

jimclark
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3851087)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But I think you miss the point. When you and I started watching racing, we could see the drivers working the wheel. The cars slid around, rather than steered around corners, they drifted instead of power over steered, there was less reliability. These and many more reasons go to explain why the racing is just plain tedious today. But I and many others more qualified than me, have been saying this for ages.

The majority of comments from Goodwood related to how much sliding we saw. And it was noticeable (at least to me) that the Can Am cars with their rudimentary aero actually moved around much less.
Yes, everything at Goodwood is good to watch. If only someone could think of a way to un-invent downforce.

I would still love to see all aerofoil sections banned and something regulated into the floor to totally negate ground-effect. Sadly I know it won't happen and the rule-makers will just tinker around the edges of the problem.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3851100)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First lap shenanigans, under the lights, shenanigans from Serge in a street fight for some reason, decent overtaking and sparks. Lots of sparks. Needs more.

Generous 6

Edit
Hey, chilli!!!

I seriously do these blind. Feel asleep trying to finish it last night, wrapped it up during lunch and straight to the polling booth!
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3851104)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the answer though isn't it? Open the DOTR and Rate the Race etc. threads for a day or two before the race and close them when the race starts. Much more fun......
Old 17 Sep 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3851108)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup! And me and chilli just seem to wind in the same place everytime. I'd have to start questioning myself if I didn't ...