Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Sep 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3849745)   #3876
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm guessing that includes the math for the stupidity of double points to end the season? I don't feel as bad about Indy being double but the season finale, no way
Double points cost Montoya in 2015. Both he and Dixon finished on 556 points at Sonoma but Dixon had 4 wins to Montoya's 2, which decided it but didn't take in the other results.

I think IndyCar needs to look at changing the points system.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 05:18 (Ref:3849775)   #3877
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm guessing that includes the math for the stupidity of double points to end the season? I don't feel as bad about Indy being double but the season finale, no way

Yes it does.

I'm ambivalent about double points for both races. It seems to say that we must have drama from start to finish in order to maintain interest in the series. The racing is great. I'm going to watch the last race even if the championship is decided two races previous. I doubt there are but a handful of people who are going to watch the last race to see who wins the championship, that wouldn't be watching just to see who wins the race.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3849815)   #3878
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
28 cars for 2019?

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138661
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3849835)   #3879
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Would be great, although they would need to sort a few things out if it were to happen
Old 13 Sep 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3849893)   #3880
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now that's speculation.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3849929)   #3881
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Pigot stays at ECR.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138680
Old 16 Sep 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3850559)   #3882
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Honda may not supply a potential Alonso/McLaren entry. The decision has been left to HPD.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138748
Old 16 Sep 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3850567)   #3883
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, that’s pretty damning and rules out an Andretti drive. Hardy surprising though after slagging them off for the last few years and McLaren ditching them for Renault
Old 16 Sep 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3850571)   #3884
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Wow, that’s pretty damning and rules out an Andretti drive. Hardy surprising though after slagging them off for the last few years and McLaren ditching them for Renault
As the article says, it's up to HPD to decide. However, I think the real reason might be due to HPD being overstretched. Not a bad time for IndyCar to pursue a third engine manufacturer.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3850573)   #3885
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As the article says, it's up to HPD to decide. However, I think the real reason might be due to HPD being overstretched. Not a bad time for IndyCar to pursue a third engine manufacturer.
True, but you’d think Honda would be chomping at the bit to supply Mclaren/ Alonso purely from a marketing POV, which tells me that they don’t really want to...
Old 16 Sep 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3850683)   #3886
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True, but you’d think Honda would be chomping at the bit to supply Mclaren/ Alonso purely from a marketing POV, which tells me that they don’t really want to...
I think you're reading way too much in to it. I think Honda has no problem, he tested in a Honda recently. And nothing like autosport showing they can't read their own article, multiple links all saying Honda says NO when in fact the response is more like Indycar engines are under the control of HPD not Honda so ask them. HPD has for the last two seasons asked Indycar to push for a third builder as they can't getting enough engines out to meet demand for the season never mind Indy only programs who almost all want Honda engines. It's a non story that shows they want to sell ads and get everyone to click. If McLaren/Alonso signs with Andretti there will be a Honda in the back of it, HPD will find a way to be involved as part of motorsports history and the "Triple Crown" end of story.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3850689)   #3887
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
I think you're reading way too much in to it. I think Honda has no problem, he tested in a Honda recently. And nothing like autosport showing they can't read their own article, multiple links all saying Honda says NO when in fact the response is more like Indycar engines are under the control of HPD not Honda so ask them. HPD has for the last two seasons asked Indycar to push for a third builder as they can't getting enough engines out to meet demand for the season never mind Indy only programs who almost all want Honda engines. It's a non story that shows they want to sell ads and get everyone to click. If McLaren/Alonso signs with Andretti there will be a Honda in the back of it, HPD will find a way to be involved as part of motorsports history and the "Triple Crown" end of story.
Maybe so, and hope I am because I think alsonso in indycar is a great idea...BUT....if Honda were 100 percent into this they would be chomping at the bit to supply him and Mclaren an engine...purely from the PR side of things and not letting Chevy get hold of him
Old 16 Sep 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3850711)   #3888
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe so, and hope I am because I think alsonso in indycar is a great idea...BUT....if Honda were 100 percent into this they would be chomping at the bit to supply him and Mclaren an engine...purely from the PR side of things and not letting Chevy get hold of him
Honda does NOT get to make the decision, it is an HPD program. They multiple times have said they don't tell HPD what to do, it's not hard. They are separate decisions and Honda respects the distance they give to HPD. And HPD had problems building that many engines, it has zero to do with anything previously. And if you remember Alonso was talking about the engine in F1 being garbage when he ran at Indy last season so blaming that is revisionist history
Old 16 Sep 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3850745)   #3889
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Honda F1 boss Masashi Yamamoto has said it's HPD's call and it is their programme but as I said, I think the real issue is with the number of engines HPD can supply. However, most people won't have heard of HPD but they will have heard of Honda and Alonso, so from a marketing point of view it's a no brainer. If Alonso were to win the 500 and therefore the Triple Crown, all that went before, like him saying the F1 engine is garbage, would instantly evaporate. The marketing potential for Honda is huge.
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3850788)   #3890
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Sato re-signs with RLLR for 2019.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/138768
Old 16 Sep 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3850790)   #3891
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Honda F1 boss Masashi Yamamoto has said it's HPD's call and it is their programme but as I said, I think the real issue is with the number of engines HPD can supply. However, most people won't have heard of HPD but they will have heard of Honda and Alonso, so from a marketing point of view it's a no brainer. If Alonso were to win the 500 and therefore the Triple Crown, all that went before, like him saying the F1 engine is garbage, would instantly evaporate. The marketing potential for Honda is huge.
https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...-indycar-entry
Old 16 Sep 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3850851)   #3892
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
That's the same article I here https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...postcount=3882
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3850991)   #3893
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shame for Fred that Honda won't supply him, but there are plenty of other engine manufacturers that could

I actually think Fred's test car livery is a dead ringer for Jordan 191 livery
Old 17 Sep 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3850999)   #3894
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shame for Fred that Honda won't supply him, but there are plenty of other engine manufacturers that could

I actually think Fred's test car livery is a dead ringer for Jordan 191 livery
HPD, who run the Honda IndyCar programme haven't definitely said they won't supply Alonso/McLaren. The headline for that Autosport article is misleading.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3851041)   #3895
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
ESPN Latin America announcer Alex Pombo said that the third engine manufacturer is German...
Old 17 Sep 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3851126)   #3896
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It will be interesting to read Robin Miller's roundup and mailbag tomorrow and see what news he can hint at for next season. Think a new engine builder would be a year away if they started now, it's not a hard thing to build I think but I'm guessing they would want time to build, dyno test, in car test and sign teams. But then they do have 6 months to do all that before St Pete.
Old 17 Sep 2018, 23:13 (Ref:3851163)   #3897
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It will be interesting to read Robin Miller's roundup and mailbag tomorrow and see what news he can hint at for next season. Think a new engine builder would be a year away if they started now, it's not a hard thing to build I think but I'm guessing they would want time to build, dyno test, in car test and sign teams. But then they do have 6 months to do all that before St Pete.
A 3rd engine manufacturer needs to commit by May 2019.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3851417)   #3898
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
First Robin Miller mailbag after the season finale and already dropping hints:

1: As Marshall wrote last weekend, Harding became the Junior Andretti team last weekend at Sonoma – complete with engineers, mechanics, shocks and technical support from Michael’s team. There will be a significant announcement regarding Pato and Colton today so read RACER.com.

2: Jay Frye is in Switzerland at an FIA conference, but I hadn’t heard these rumors until your letter. (Actually getting out of the usual USAC bubble is a good thing)

Although nothing regarding any of the usual engine manufacturer rumors or Alonso updates beyond likely in November we'll know something. But an Andretti/Harding junior team setup sounds like that could be tough for McLaren/Andretti for 2019
Old 19 Sep 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3851496)   #3899
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I wonder how they are gonna limit the knowledge transfer of the strengths and weaknesses of the Chevy engine over to the Honda side? I'm assuming Andretti is just there to add chassis info and dampers but still seems fishy to have a tie-in with the other engine manufacturer. But good to see both Indy Lights guys moving up to the big cars, but feels like Lights will be a ghost town next season.

https://racer.com/2018/09/19/new-har...erta-for-2019/
Old 20 Sep 2018, 05:00 (Ref:3851525)   #3900
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure seemed that the Andretti input boosted Harding's performance at Sonoma. Can't see the relationship as anything but a plus for Chevrolet: Two more cars in the field with good chassis engineering.

Hopefully the advance of Herta and O'Ward, and the increased in interest in Indycar will create some interest in Lights from team owners.