Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 4 Mar 2002, 13:28 (Ref:227749)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Metal Gear Solid 2

Well folks it's almost upon us... Who is purchasing it? I am quite excited about it, but for some reason Sony's astounding-looking Ico looks far more appealing...
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:48 (Ref:228021)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be buying it for sure, can't wait 'til friday.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 15:13 (Ref:228539)   #3
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Markules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, guys - but it doesn't come up to scratch. One of my work mates has the review code of the game, and is a massive MGS fan, but apparently it just isn't as good as MGS1. Sorry if that's ruined everyone's party...
Old 5 Mar 2002, 18:42 (Ref:228652)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I'm new to the MGS thing as I never played the first. All I have to go on is a 40 minute or so demo from Official PS2 Magazine. From playing this and reading the many, many excellent reviews I am very excited. I think people like to put the game down because of the massive hype behind it. It may not be as good as the first one but it is extremely difficult to improve on what was apparently near perfection.
Old 5 Mar 2002, 22:54 (Ref:228877)   #5
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought it was better than the orginal. i like the charactors though pyscho mantis will always be my fav mgs charactor.

i liked having the choice of killing or putting the bosses to sleep to. but, there are some things to could be better. i wont say anything more since that would really spoil it. all i say is, why can you look up some girls skirt or watch snakes face as he gets off, but, doesnt have the afore meantioned problems fixed?
Old 6 Mar 2002, 14:32 (Ref:229281)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Thanks for not spoiling it for us Es Nes, friday is only a few days away and so far I've managed to avoid the plot spoilers .
Old 6 Mar 2002, 22:28 (Ref:229622)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I love the original, and whilst I agree that it's hard to improve upon perfection, the demo leaves me with a distinctly unimpressed feeling. Still, it's going to be better than most of the tat released. Hurrah!!!
Old 6 Mar 2002, 22:30 (Ref:229625)   #8
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Damon, definitely looking forward to this one. I preordered it online a while back so hopefully it'll arrive on the doorstep on Friday morning. I have a weekend set aside to the game aswell.

I've stayed well clear of the demos, reviews, previews and rumours actually. Just so that I can appreciate it for what it is without worrying about all the hype. In fact, I've done the same thing with Final Fantasy X, just wish that would get released soon aswell.
Old 6 Mar 2002, 23:31 (Ref:229654)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Final Fantasy X... I have the demo which came with the recently released Final Fantasy VI (only a tenner, a bargain!) It's quite impressive, but I don't like the style, it's very reminiscent of FF8. And Tidus is a big girl's blouse. Rikku however rocks. Go girl!
Old 6 Mar 2002, 23:35 (Ref:229657)   #10
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wel I preordered it a while ago too, and I got an email today saying it had been sent, ooh, if mr postman is really good I may have it by tomorrow morning . This game is one of the biggest reason I bought a PS2, I got MGs as soon as it came out too and loved it, I played through twice within a week and started to go through it a third time in the same week. I've only breifly tried the demo for MGS2 though, I just wanted to see the graphics and control changes but not get into any of the story. I've heard of some people saying that the first one was ok but not great but this one is really great, I guess I'll be loosing some sleep this weekend.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 10:33 (Ref:229850)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
I love the original, and whilst I agree that it's hard to improve upon perfection, the demo leaves me with a distinctly unimpressed feeling.
Having played both MF what did you feel was missing having played the demo of MGS2? I must admit that when I first picked up the demo I found it frustratingly difficult due to, what felt like, an awkward control system. A few minutes in, however and I found the control system to be one of the most intuative I've used. I wasn't looking forward to getting MGS2, until I played the demo.
Old 7 Mar 2002, 20:02 (Ref:230160)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
First off, the graphics. Shallow of me yes, but at times I was left wondering what the hype was about. Given the amount of time it's been in development, it now looks a bit old. However the execution and direction is superb. The controls are okay.

I don't think there's anything missing per se, it's just not much of a step forward, and it's certainly not worth the hype. Yet.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 01:57 (Ref:230532)   #13
Herminator
Racer

Half of the hype is about the story, which I think is quite impressive for a game. Most games have the story feel like it's thought of at the end or just not important, but in MGS 1&2 it's like a movie, hey it's better than a lot of action movies.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 08:32 (Ref:230673)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I agree - and *more* should be made of the story. The plot is the reason why I love the original so much, very few games can rival Metal Gear Solid's plot, the exception is probably only Final Fantasy VII. Without the plot, the original MGS would have been a pretty sterile and average stealth-laiden action game.
Old 8 Mar 2002, 10:19 (Ref:230726)   #15
Herminator
Racer

ITS HERE, ITS HERE!!!!!!
a bonus dvd too, with stuff like the making of!
Old 8 Mar 2002, 23:28 (Ref:231269)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
This game is amazing!!!! I can't beleive what I've been missing out on all this time . The graphics and detail superb and the story is compelling and involving, it's really hard to put this damn game down. Pure genious in a little disc, superb .
Old 9 Mar 2002, 01:32 (Ref:231364)   #17
Herminator
Racer

Don't you just love shooting guards in the knee caps and letting them beg on the floor .
Old 9 Mar 2002, 07:38 (Ref:231495)   #18
Es Nes
Veteran

have you seen what i mean yet?
Old 9 Mar 2002, 18:27 (Ref:231767)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Not yet Es Nes, I can't kind a damn M9 on the oil rig stage. I'm at the bit where we've got to defuse some bombs. Really hard to sneak about without a silenced weapon.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 19:50 (Ref:231828)   #20
Es Nes
Veteran

the m9 comes with a silencer

edit ... oops, youre still on the tanker, right? theres no silcener for the usp or whatever its called. when you go to shoot the bombs, make sure none of soilders are near the wall. if they are, ether dont shoot or run into the locker if they hear you.

dont read past here if youre not past that

if youre on the big shell, the silencer is in strut f. go to the second floor and go into the room closest to the screen on the left with the computer. theres an air duct at the near wall thatll take you to the room on the right. the silencer is right there.

Last edited by Es Nes; 9 Mar 2002 at 19:57.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 20:37 (Ref:231841)   #21
Herminator
Racer

Its hard to get those computers too, your tranquilizer gun is silenced, plus if you have room to take them out with first person mode you can get a good headshot in and before they know anything they're sleeping like babies . Then you have to hide them though, but hide them well enough and you get goodies.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 22:16 (Ref:231873)   #22
Es Nes
Veteran

you realy dont need to hide them for my expernce. i had to lead them to where other soliders were sleeping. they really love it when they find a fellow soilder in a locker

and, all youve to do is pick them up and drop them to get some various items. gernades, badages, etc. if you hold them up, dont forget to get their dogtag.

if you get a tough guy, shot them in the arm or leg with the socom.
Old 10 Mar 2002, 13:52 (Ref:232189)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Is was on the big shell and found the gun just after writing here. This game is awesome!!!

Last edited by Damon; 10 Mar 2002 at 13:53.
Old 10 Mar 2002, 19:16 (Ref:232336)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Just found the AK47. But not the silencer. And I *really* need to find the computer terminal in the strut where I found the AK...
Old 10 Mar 2002, 19:26 (Ref:232360)   #25
Es Nes
Veteran

mf: go to the room where you found the ak and then go towards the screen. theres a hall in the middle of the room and the computeres in one those rooms.

as for the ak silencer, dont worry about it for now cause youll find it behind a fire later on in the game . the ak is part of the uniform than a weapon to be used for now. all auto weapons are actually because they are only good for taking down groups of soilders, bosses and flying guns. but, the fling guns its better to use one shot from the socom and if you want a better score. you should always use the m9. it makes the boss fights a little harder, but, gives a better score.

theres one more scene wherer autos are good for but, ill let you find out how i did